The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #1
jumpsoffrock

So I drove through some water...

Up until 3 days ago I've spent my life observing the hot market of 4x4 trucks and lifted trucks: they are generally more sought after and considered valuable and superior than their 2wd counterparts.

I'll have none of it. I think the 4x4 craze is a fad for people who have more sense than money, and they over prepare for something that will require 4x4 less than 1% of the time they use the vehicle.
And most people who have 4x4 aren't even the "type" of people who do that kinda offroad stuff.....and now they're searching harder and going farther to pay more money for some 4x4 truck, all for nothing. What a waste; and it makes you look like a poser.

I have a friend who lives in a rural canyon with a creek obviously at the bottom. The main road to his any many other peoples houses at the bottom of the canyon, where the creek passes under the road using small culvert--no bridges.

With the crazy rainfall we've seen those culverts were greatly exceeded and there was significant flow over the road.
I have been going to visit regularly and 3 days ago I was required to drive through some fast moving water in my old F100 that sits stock height--low. The battery is stored beneath the floor, stock. 4 wheel drum brakes.

I drove through one and immediately realized I might be putting the electrical system kaput and lost 95% of my braking. It was completely nerve wracking getting to and from his house. The back road to his house was blocked by massive rock falls.

It was then, right then and there, I had a revelation why so many people dream of their 4x4 truck that they want, and go out of their way to lift their trucks with those silly lift kits even though 99% of the time they need neither.

P.S. My "new" truck is a '72 C3500 with much more power than my little F100, and it's almost the same exact height. lol
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote