The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Baradium
Binder Rep

Hey from Alaska

Well, it's been a good while since I've had time to even think of talking to anyone.

I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska right now in ground school with an airline up here, and enjoying every bit of that. Don't know final dates yet but I'm looking for a place to stay long term and a vehicle to get by with for now (rental cars are $$$ ).

Had to say something about the fact that it seems like 67-72 Chevy and GMC pickups grow on trees here. I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it really does seem like every other house has one in the driveway. Which is a good thing, because I won't suffer quite as much withdrawl. I'm selling my diesel scout (and the panel truck project that never really got off the ground) and the '70 pickup is the folks' for good (which means it also doesn't have to be sold at least).

The big crewcab still isn't moved, which puts me in a position where I can't bring my gas scout up here with it since it isn't reliable, which gets us to me having to find a vehicle up here for cheap until I can.

So, does anyone even remember me anyway?
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Hey from Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baradium
So, does anyone even remember me anyway?

YES, You own that big ass 4 door dually scout thingamabobber
and btw a big TN Welcome back, you haven't missed very much.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 04-15-2006 at 11:11 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
YES, You own that big ass 4 door dually scout thingamabobber
and btw a big TN Welcome back, you haven't missed very much.
Thingamabobber, I love that word.

Thank you.

So far the worst part is that there's only one place in town that serves sweet tea. And not only are they not really all that good at making it (although it's alright), but it's about a $15 meal! Their barbecue was top notch though (although they didn't even know what brunswick stew was!). On the salary I'll be making, I don't see much sweet tea in my future for a while unless I make it myself. At least up here they don't have a sales tax (nice change in relation to the 9.75% in TN).

Finding a vehicle might be annoying too. So far in the ads there are only two likely candidates... a ford and a dodge... Ford is a crewcab and is a little above my means until I have money in hand for the diesel scout though. Dodge is more in the price range I should be spending in (ford is $2000 asking, dodge is $1250 OBO), but the Dodge is... well, a dodge, and I don't have any experience with Dodges. It's an 86 W200 with a 360 and auto tranny. Talking down to $1000 even would be right around what I need to spend for a vehicle and give me some breathing room (then I don't have to rent a car and can hopefully still afford rent somewhere before money comes in from the scout).

Anyway, there're my whinings and ramblings. There are 3 of us in the class that might go in together on a place if we find one. That would give a better chance at finding a place that devided three ways would be somewhat affordable.

Albiet, with the stress points (including not knowing when I'll be able to really start), I'm still very excited and happy to be here.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Welcome back!

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome back.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
HeavyD

Congrats on the groundschool thing..I always wanted to be a pilot but my eyes suck. Hey, are the trucks up there all longboxes or does the occasional swb pop up?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #7
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Congrats on the groundschool thing..I always wanted to be a pilot but my eyes suck. Hey, are the trucks up there all longboxes or does the occasional swb pop up?
Thank you. Are your eyes correctable to 20/20? How about surgery etc? Aviation might not be as far away as you think and it's never too late to start.

Havn't noticed short boxes, but havn't payed attention overall either. Saw a '68 wrecker today... there's a GMC across the street from where I'm staying. I'll keep an eye out for short boxes. There is a higher proportion of C20s and C30s up here (and K20s), so short boxes might be less common just for thta reason (no short box 20s and 30s). I'll see if some of the c/10s are shorts for you.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
HeavyD

I ask every year about lasik etc..but my eye dr. says the technology is not yet developed to fix my football shaped eye (as he described it). I tried to be a fireman, cop, and numerous other things and my sight pretty much messed up my chances for those jobs. Hopefully I can get them done at some point because my good eye is becoming weaker from compensating for the poorer eye. Even with goggles my poor eye is 20/40, and that is a generous rating. I have yet to go for a checkup this year so who knows what will happen this time.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome back to the board. Is it spring up there yet?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 04-16-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
68 Stepside
huh?

Sheesh, thought you were long gone. Good to have you back man.....if you can hold out on a vehicle for a little while, do yourself that favor and find something you'd really like to have.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
97silv5.7
MooMoo

welcome back this is the time of year its always daytime right?
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #12
Baradium
Binder Rep

HeavyD: They have a "braces" thing for the eyes too, like a contact lens that changes the shape of your eye. Check with your doc on that as well to see if that can do anything. I met a guy at the flight school who was getting his licenses and he was legally blind when he started the treatment... when I met him he had like 20/10 or 20/15 vision and was just wearing "retainer" contacts to keep his eyes in the same shape. I don't remember how long he was going to have to wear the "retainers."

Palf: Spring? What's that? I think it got to freezing today, maybe. High tomorrow is 40 IIRC though. Granted, 30 degrees here feels more comfortable to me than 60 in GA. A lot drier cold. However, one of the guys with me in ground school said "I never thought I'd pray for -10 degrees." That is, praying that the temperature would get that warm each day while he was in Bethel, Alaska over the summer. Also known as "the place where cars go to die." (Bethel has no road access, only air, and maybe water. People ship in cars for the 1 mile of roads they have, when they are done with fixing the car they just push it off into the tundra and get a new one shipped in).

Fairbanks is supposed to get cold in winter... going to have to see how that goes.

TJ: I tried to PM you a while (8 months?) ago and never could get ahold of you :p Good to see you're around. As far as vehicles, right now I need something so I can stop with the rental cars. A cheap truck will pay for itself in savings on rentals in a few months easily. However, you have a point. I found out today there are some savings I had that I can access now, so I'm going to put that in the bank account to use while I'm getting stuff together. Might be enough to let me get a diesel pickup and not worry as much about that dodge. How that would work will depend on how long it'll take to process stuff into the bank. But at least I have a little more breathing room than I thought I had.

97silv: They are gaining 6 minutes of daylight a day right now, an hour a week. Right now it's almost 10pm, it's not still light out, but it's not close to dark yet, like a twilight. By middle of summer I believe that it never really gets dark, only really dim... means I probobly won't have a chance to see the Northern Lights until winter (still havn't seen them).

Last edited by Baradium; 04-17-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #13
97silv5.7
MooMoo

Ive always wanted to see the northern lights gotta be an amazing site
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #14
Baradium
Binder Rep

Well then, sounds like you need to stop by and visit this fall/winter then!

The Japanese have nonstop tokyo/fairbanks flights in the winter from what I hear. They believe that the northern lights are an aphrodisiac (spelling?)

Anyway, holler if you decide to visit. Don't know where I'll be living yet to know if I'll have sleeping space, but might be able to help with transportation some at least.

That offer applies to anyone here, remember to give me advance notice though so I can see about maybe not working during that period...

At least just stop by and say hi if you come all the way up here!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Good to hear from you again!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Good to see you back on the board man! Best of luck, and don't forget to take some pics of that country and it's wildlife if you get a chance, just for those of us that will never get the chance to see it.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn9
Good to see you back on the board man! Best of luck, and don't forget to take some pics of that country and it's wildlife if you get a chance, just for those of us that will never get the chance to see it.
Good To See You Back On The Board. I Agree With Barn, Get Some Pics If You Can...Would Love To See Pics Of "The Place Where Cars Go To Die" Too. Makes Ya Wonder What Kinda Treasures Could Be Buried In The Tundra Up There Eh?
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
Baradium
Binder Rep

As far as short bed pickups.... saw I think 3 yesterday since I started looking, two of them were 4x4s. And then there's a 4th that is a 2wd short step sitting in a lot like it's not used anymore.

I've seen a few long bed 4x4s too, I think only two of them were 3/4 tons though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian694x4
Good To See You Back On The Board. I Agree With Barn, Get Some Pics If You Can...Would Love To See Pics Of "The Place Where Cars Go To Die" Too. Makes Ya Wonder What Kinda Treasures Could Be Buried In The Tundra Up There Eh?
I'll try to get some pics at some point, especially once I actually get on the line and flying. I'm interested to see what it looks like there too

As far as never seeing it, save some money and take a vacation some day! A lot of people do it each year.

Also... I kinda bought the ford... talked them down to $1200. Needs a new windshield so will be $1500 with that. Transmission is weird but I think it's an electrical issue. If it'll last a year without a rebuild I'll be happy. I figure for the price and it being a running diesel it's worth a little risk. Not very pretty, but no rust that I could find (just dented). Not much rust up here.

As soon as I commit to this truck I finally notice the two binders at a used car dealer 3/4 ton 4x4 with a plow and a travelall. Probobly just as well, ford won't need emmissions and hopefully will still be reliable (which might be a joke...)

But yes, 67-72s all over. A lot of 4x4s of all kinds here.