The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post

I forgot to mention : the first time I ever started it one of the injectors was not squirting fuel. I tapped on it with a wrench and it started to work.

Could a bad/dirty injector be the problem? I did replace the small screen filter and o-ring on the base of the injector when I did the rebuild.

I will keep you posted on the results and please keep the ideas coming
TBI injectors are not known to fail often, but when gummed up with old fuel residue will stop squirting fuel. Ultrasonic cleaner and replacing screens usually does the trick. A stuck injector may cause lean condition. Dirty injector may cause rolling idle condition as ECM tries to compensate for unstable fuel delivery.

Yes, TBI fuel pressure test set should be available from any parts house. Ideally you want to see fuel pressure at all times - just incorporate fuel pressure gauge into your fuel system with a T. First things first. Check and verify.

Going to Pomona swap tomorrow.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Tbi swap build thread

The early CPI 4.3's (91 to 95) have a cool fitting in the back of the intake that can easily be adapted to become a TBI fuel pressure gauge port.

Comes with Schrader valve fuel pressure test fitting and female inlet threads to match the fuel inlet line and a barbed fitting on the other side.

I haven't used it yet but I am going to have the local hydraulic shop solder on a -06 male fitting to make it easy to integrate into the fuel supply line.

I planned on tapping the threads in the fuel pod for standard pipe threads so I can use -06 AN fittings on the throttle body and route the test port to where it is easily accessible. From my measurements it looks like 1/4" pipe and 3/8" pipe threads are just about a match for the metric fitting openings.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote