The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
winchster

Question Fender brace question

Can somebody tell me what stock part is structurally deficient to make the support rods necessary?

Edit: '49 3100 by the way

Edit: For clarification I'm asking about the rods from the firewall to the fenders. Not the fender supports.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Last edited by winchster; 03-15-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Year
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
cajundragger

Re: Fender brace question

I dont have the firewall to fenders and all my stuff is fine.

I did make brackets that bolt the bottom of the grille to the frame. This helped a ton with a bouncy front end. solid as a rock now.

Last edited by cajundragger; 03-15-2010 at 12:37 AM.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I'm thinking the radiator might be a little heavy to only be secured down low. The stuff attached to it is really supported by it, not the other way around.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

They are a bit triangulated to help keep the front end centered. Remember, there were "adjustment" slots in the bottom and you are hoping everything stays in one place but the fenders/rad/cab basically make it a box and it will flex as it is going down the road. To keep it square, the triangles are used.

When doing an S10 type swap, mounting the radiator to the frame pretty much keeps the side to side forces down to a minimum but you still run the risk of the top twisting side to side. With the new suspension, most of this is eliminated unless you are driving in very harsh washboard type conditions. The old straight axle would have you bouncing around and twisting.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
mylow53

other than the fender to cab bolts those rods anchor the cab to the entire front end. if their is flex in the cab/front end motion and the rods are off your fenders will be doing the flexing. have you ever ridden in the bed of a truck and see the cab move differently the the bed? i would assume those rods help with the flexing issue. my cab had multiple spider cracks around the cab bolt holes....
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
winchster

I was just curious seeing how b****in products says you can do away with them if you use their core support and inner fender. I'm having issues with my build and was thinking of fabbing a honest to God core support then since my inners are useless fabbing up some new ones. I figured if it has a real core support like a modern truck then I wouldn't need the rods. They don't really bother me I was just seeking enlightenment.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

We don't have many miles on my son's truck but so far, so good. I think a good anchoring system, combined with the stiffer frame (the ladder frames were MEANT to flex as part of the "suspension" of the original truck) you'll be in good shape.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
mr48chev

I have/had a lot of miles on my 48 and ran without them for a long time. From experience I can well say that they help keep the front end sheetmetal aligned and also help some with keeping the squeaks down by stabilizing the fenders.

I'm not familiar enough with that particular aftermarket core support except to say that it does look interesting from a lot of standpoints and I may need to run one before I am done due to a couple of mods I have planned.

I won't go as far as saying a guy has to run those rods on his truck but I for sure won't run a truck without them again.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
winchster

Guess I will keep 'em. I still have to figure out the core support and inner fenders though. Thanks guys.