The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #151
brn agn

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Nice work on the exhaust...I bet you can't wait to fire it up!

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #152
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
Nice work on the exhaust...I bet you can't wait to fire it up!
Thanks! I hope it has a little rumble- the mufflers are pretty small Dunno how I'll drive the truck without the exhaust smell; it had become such a part of its character...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #153
SCOTI

I can appreciate the effort as I've been mocking mine up this week too.

I went by Northern Tool today @ lunch & got some stainless wire for the welder. After work I started making my alignment 'tool' for tacking all the bends together 'in place' in the chassis. I'll weld it up on a pipe stand.

What mufflers are they? How much was the pipe kit?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #154
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I can appreciate the effort as I've been mocking mine up this week too.

I went by Northern Tool today @ lunch & got some stainless wire for the welder. After work I started making my alignment 'tool' for tacking all the bends together 'in place' in the chassis. I'll weld it up on a pipe stand.

What mufflers are they? How much was the pipe kit?
I now have MUCH respect for the guys that do exhaust work every day. This is not as easy as it looks- every little adjustment affects everything else on down the line- you are constantly tweaking it to get it 'just so'. I will do as you are doing- get it all tacked together and then finish weld on the bench- this way, I will be sure it is fully welded and can put a coat of high-temp on the seams to slow the rust.

The muffs are Magnaflow, um, I couldn't tell ya. Been a while since I bought them. They, like many things that ended up on this truck, were intended for the Blazer. I do know they were some of the smallest I could get in a 2.5" in/out. You can see straight through them- I wanted to do something other than flows- I must be getting old

I think I paid $199 for my Flowmaster U-fit kit a while back- they are now $239 through Summit, and the stainless is $279. Looking back, I should have gone stainless, but this is what I had on hand. Show us some pics when you start working it

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #155
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Does anyone see anything wrong with these shocks? Notice how there is nothing holding them compressed, yet they are fully collapsed- I'd say they're smoked Luckily, I picked up a set of Monroes on Amazon for, get this, $6 each with super saver shipping! I love that site for smokin' deals...

I wanted to get them installed to make sure my clearances were still gonna be good with the larger shock body. The pics (taken at slightly higher than ride-height) show just how tight it is around that area- I'm trying to keep at least 1/2" clearance between the exhaust and anything else, so I may have to do some tweaking around the shocks- we'll see. the pics make it look closer than it really is...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #156
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Does anyone see anything wrong with these shocks? Notice how there is nothing holding them compressed, yet they are fully collapsed- I'd say they're smoked Luckily, I picked up a set of Monroes on Amazon for, get this, $6 each with super saver shipping! I love that site for smokin' deals...

I wanted to get them installed to make sure my clearances were still gonna be good with the larger shock body. The pics (taken at slightly higher than ride-height) show just how tight it is around that area- I'm trying to keep at least 1/2" clearance between the exhaust and anything else, so I may have to do some tweaking around the shocks- we'll see. the pics make it look closer than it really is...

Check out Lakeroadsters build thread for his upper rear shock mod. He built a simple new bracket that raised the shock mount & relocates it further back helping to stand the shock more upright. That might help increase your clearance & give you a little better shock performance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #157
67cheby
67cheby

nice work
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #158
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Check out Lakeroadsters build thread for his upper rear shock mod. He built a simple new bracket that raised the shock mount & relocates it further back helping to stand the shock more upright. That might help increase your clearance & give you a little better shock performance.
I remember seeing those- I'll go check 'em out again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
nice work
Thanks!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #159
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Completed the front section of the exhaust this afternoon. What fun, taking a 2" hole saw to a freshly installed set of pipes

I tacked the H-pipe assembly together on the truck, then removed it to finish weld on the bench. Turned out pretty nicely- it tucks up higher than the trans pan, just behind the crossmember and under the tailshaft. It will remain completely removable with band clamps on the pipes at the t-arm crossmember. I am not particularly happy with how my welds are looking on this exhaust- the beads seem to want to 'build-up' on me- I'll hafta play with the settings some when I finish weld the over-axle pipes...

Included a few pics of the hangers I'll be using. They're called 'Snappers'. I used them once before, on my Blazer (the red ones) and liked them, so I picked up four more to use on rear sections. They're blue 'cause the red ones were $5 each- the blue $2 on eBay
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #160
SCOTI

Quote:
....I am not particularly happy with how my welds are looking on this exhaust- the beads seem to want to 'build-up' on me- I'll hafta play with the settings some when I finish weld the over-axle pipes...

Included a few pics of the hangers I'll be using. They're called 'Snappers'. I used them once before, on my Blazer (the red ones) and liked them, so I picked up four more to use on rear sections. They're blue 'cause the red ones were $5 each- the blue $2 on eBay
I've been having the same problem. I slowed the wire speed to the point where it wanted to melt itself to the tip. Speed it up enough to compensate & I get more 'peak' on the weld than desired. I didn't get a chance to try another gas mix to see if there might be some improvement.

Do you have a link for the hanger bushings? I know of one source but other choices aren't a bad thing .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-18-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #161
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Looking good! You have been making good progress, looks like the only major project left is to finish up the bed.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #162
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
I've been having the same problem. I slowed the wire speed to the point where it wanted to melt itself to the tip. Speed it up enough to compensate & I get more 'peak' on the weld than desired. I didn't get a chance to try another gas mix to see if there might be some improvement.
I'm thinking less speed/more heat. We'll see. It may not be pretty, but it will do the job
Quote:
Do you have a link for the hanger bushings? I know of one source but other choices aren't a bad thing .
Cheapest I found them is a place called Hanksville Hotrods on eBay. Pretty sure they have a site, too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
Looking good! You have been making good progress, looks like the only major project left is to finish up the bed.
Thanks Looks like it! Hope to start on the bed next week- then it will be all loose ends from there...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 04-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #163
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Mind sharing the number or maybe a link to these? Build looks awesome!!!

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #164
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Mind sharing the number or maybe a link to these? Build looks awesome!!!
Thanks The shocks are Monroe 32301s. Looks like they are back to 'normal' price now, $20.62. I've gotten lucky like that a few times with Amazon; just have to be in the right place at the right time, I guess...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 04-19-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #165
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Received my vinyl dye recently, so I thought I'd give the armrests a shot. They were in poor condition from years of abuse and one of them was a different color from a failed experiment- the color was NOT the same as the cap...

Through a little research, I found that the 68-70 Corvette bright blue is the same (or VERY similar) as the '70 truck color. I couldn't find a truck vendor that advertised their dye as anything other than 'blue', so I bought Corvette dye. It was cheaper, too

The color is spot-on and laid down very nicely. It matches my dash pad very well, excepting the fact that it is faded in a few spots. I am contemplating giving it a shot too- which likely means that it will happen...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #166
hotrodhomi

looks pretty good.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #167
67cheby
67cheby

looks great
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #168
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome build thread! I love it. I got a lot of inspiration from your project. I am subscribed now.

Hey, sorry to hear you had to sell the Blazer. Man, I would have jumped on that thing. I never knew it was for sale. I noticed your avatar had changed but never guessed you had to part ways with it. If you decide to dump this project let me know
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #169
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
looks pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Awesome build thread! I love it. I got a lot of inspiration from your project. I am subscribed now.

Hey, sorry to hear you had to sell the Blazer. Man, I would have jumped on that thing. I never knew it was for sale. I noticed your avatar had changed but never guessed you had to part ways with it. If you decide to dump this project let me know
Thanks guys! I try to include info I think may be helpful in others' builds, so I'm glad you got something from it. As for the Blazer- I'm just now getting to the point where seeing pictures of it doesn't make my stomach turn- but, it was for the better. I am in a much better place in life now and can always get more stuff. No surprise you didn't see it for sale- it was sold within a few hours of posting it on this site... This one will hopefully be around for a while- my soon-to-be wife may have some attachment to it since she'll be the one driving it to the wedding...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #170
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Finished up the exhaust today. Had to use two more bends to get the pipes from over the axle back to the bumper. I ended up using factory holes in the shock crossmember and rear framerails to bolt the 'snapper' isolated mounts to- still need to get some longer bolts for them, as they are temp-installed with what I had on hand. All in all, it turned out decent once I got my welder settings down- I wish I could go back and re-do the forward H-pipe section and get rid of the booger welds, but, oh well, it will work

The rear pieces that run parallel with the 'rails will get either turned down or kicked out towards the ends of the bumper, since I have a couple of 90* bends left, but I will decide on that when the bed goes back on and after the next big projects- bed/body work and paint
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #171
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the exhaust. You probably already said, but, where did you get the kit? What dia. tube? Can't wait to get to that point.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #172
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Nice work on the exhaust. You probably already said, but, where did you get the kit? What dia. tube? Can't wait to get to that point.
It's a Flowmaster U-fit kit, 15936, aluminized steel, 2.5". It sells for $239 most places- I think I paid $199 a while back. There is a stainless kit for $279, which if I had to do it again, I would get it for the extra $40. Overall pretty happy with the kit- better than what you get at the local muffler shop- I did end up having to buy two more 45° pieces, but that's just 'cause of the way I chose to route the tailpipes...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #173
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
It's a Flowmaster U-fit kit, 15936, aluminized steel, 2.5". It sells for $239 most places- I think I paid $199 a while back. There is a stainless kit for $279, which if I had to do it again, I would get it for the extra $40. Overall pretty happy with the kit- better than what you get at the local muffler shop- I did end up having to buy two more 45° pieces, but that's just 'cause of the way I chose to route the tailpipes...
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds like a good price to me. Plus you got to install it just the way you want it. If you go to muffler shop, not always do you get what you expect. You remember where you bought it?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #174
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Very nice work on the exhaust!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #175
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
That sounds like a good price to me. Plus you got to install it just the way you want it. If you go to muffler shop, not always do you get what you expect. You remember where you bought it?
Exactly- it's not perfect, but it's better than crush-bent stuff from the local muffler shop- and I have a pretty good exhaust guy. I got the kit from Jeg's a few years back- $239 is as cheap as I can find it now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Very nice work on the exhaust!
Thanks! It turned out pretty well, I think. Should suit my needs just fine- hope to fire her up in the next couple of days and see how it sounds

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)