The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
69GMCCustom

Project Unnamed

So my wife and I bought a truck last year, and although it needed some work, it was in great shape for the 1500 they asked for it.

That's a pontiac 400, but I decided it needed more that a little two barrel carb, so I replaced the mainfold with an RPM air gap, and dropped an Edelbrock 600 on it.

Although the black paint looks ok, it is flaking off and the original dark blue is showing underneath because the po did not even scuff the old clearcoat, just painted over it.

It also has holes in the door, apparantly the po also could not decide what mirrors to put on, so I have five sets of mount holes drilled in it.

So my wife and I worked hard to decide on a paint job and found this paint scheme online. Now I know that color pattern is not stock for 69, but that does not matter as much to us as how it looks.

So a simple paintjob right? I'm sure we've all been there. Then we saw this picture>

And of course my wife says "4x4's are fun. Can you do that to our truck?"
And being a good husband I said "Of course I can, anything for you."

1970 Chevy Custom.
69GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
69GMCCustom

Re: Project Unnamed

So now the true project began. I wanted 4 wheel drive. Power steering. Power front disk. A/c. Tilt steering column, all the bells and whistles in my upgrade. So Knowing how much that would cost, I looked for a donor and came across this gem on CL.

Not much to look at, but it runs great. PS works, AC works, 4wd works, brakes work. Basically it has spent the last 10 years as a spray rig for an orchard, so driving 15 miles every week in 4wd low at 3mph.
Since it was a work truck, everything was ripped off the 350, so no smog, and in California that means it can not be on the road. For this reason I got it for the amazing price of $320 and moved it to my garage.

Now I get to try a frame swap. This may end up being the slowest build on the forum, but I hope that maybe someone can learn from my build, as I have learned from everyone elses. Wish me luck.

1970 Chevy Custom.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
69GMCCustom

Re: Project Pepe

No real news yet, the teardown continues, after 12 hour days at work. Progress is slow, but that is what I expected.

1970 Chevy Custom.