The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
jocww

Re: Moms wedding present 49 chevy 5 window LS 4L60e TCI frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
What do you mean your frame is 2 inches to short? I went back and read your thread and you purchased a TCI frame. On which end is it short?
The back end. Before I had my cab on my bed lined up with the holes perfectly. Now that I have the cab on, I cant put the bed on, as the 2 touch, and I still have about an 1.5 in gap between where the bed holes are, and where the holes on the frame are.

My travel blog
The Wong Winding Road-Adventures of The Chinese Cowboy
https://thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com/
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Scott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
The back end. Before I had my cab on my bed lined up with the holes perfectly. Now that I have the cab on, I cant put the bed on, as the 2 touch, and I still have about an 1.5 in gap between where the bed holes are, and where the holes on the frame are.
The spacing between the cab and bed is tight on my TCI chassis, but there is just enough room. The front cab mount has some tolerance to move around, but the rear is the stock mounts and they don’t flew sideways (forward or back) so they pretty much set the position of the cab. My bed almost touches the cab when I push the bed all the way to the rear (rear mounts have that long slot the bolt goes thru) and the front hole kinda lines up but not well. I thought maybe that’s how the trucks always were? I’m camping now but could measure between mounts/holes Tuesday if that would help you?

Also - the square access holes in the frame to allow you to put a washer and nut on the front bed bolts is a PITA. My fat fingers and that tiny hole pretty much guarantee I will fill that damn frame with nuts and washers before I ever get the bed tightened down!

Looking forward to see how this sorts out. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Scott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
Originally Posted by jocww
Scott, it was short, a few months ago I gave them the measurements and they compared it to their cad. TCI came and picked the frame up from my house as Good Guys was this weekend, then they drove it to the shop where he is going to lengthen it. Evan said it was about an 1.5 in too short, but that told Tom add more just in case so maybe he will do it 3 in. Per Tom, the beds should not even be close to touching about 1in apart. I would contact Jay. So far they are making me happy.

Just a thought here - your experience and mine seems to be that the frame is ~1-1/2” short and that the shortage is somewhere under the cab area. This pulls the bed forward into the cab space (and in my case it was a tight fit to get the cab on the mounts as it was squeezed in there). I’m interested in knowing where the shortage is exactly.

I have mine set back just enough to get ~1/2” space to the cab because I drilled new holes for the front bed mounts ~3/4” back . I set my running boards on yesterday and they are a pretty snug fit between the front and rear fenders but there’s enough flex in the fenders that they fit. If I had another 3/4” they’d be great but the bed rear mounts would be nearly off the rear frame. I also need to crawl under it and see if the running board mounts on the chassis and boards line up?

If TCI is going to add in anything more than the missing 1-1/2” you mentioned they suggested 3”) then you’re going to be messed up in the other direction. The running boards will end up hanging in space and won’t reach both fenders and you may have a really big space between the cab and bed.

I’d make sure they have a good plan to get this correct including mocking it all up to get it to fit right. Adding in an arbitrary amount just to be sure could leave you with another mess. Best approach would really be to build a new chassis which meets the specs and swap it out for you.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
jocww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
Originally Posted by jocww
Scott, it was short, a few months ago I gave them the measurements and they compared it to their cad. TCI came and picked the frame up from my house as Good Guys was this weekend, then they drove it to the shop where he is going to lengthen it. Evan said it was about an 1.5 in too short, but that told Tom add more just in case so maybe he will do it 3 in. Per Tom, the beds should not even be close to touching about 1in apart. I would contact Jay. So far they are making me happy.

Just a thought here - your experience and mine seems to be that the frame is ~1-1/2” short and that the shortage is somewhere under the cab area. This pulls the bed forward into the cab space (and in my case it was a tight fit to get the cab on the mounts as it was squeezed in there). I’m interested in knowing where the shortage is exactly.

I have mine set back just enough to get ~1/2” space to the cab because I drilled new holes for the front bed mounts ~3/4” back . I set my running boards on yesterday and they are a pretty snug fit between the front and rear fenders but there’s enough flex in the fenders that they fit. If I had another 3/4” they’d be great but the bed rear mounts would be nearly off the rear frame. I also need to crawl under it and see if the running board mounts on the chassis and boards line up?

If TCI is going to add in anything more than the missing 1-1/2” you mentioned they suggested 3”) then you’re going to be messed up in the other direction. The running boards will end up hanging in space and won’t reach both fenders and you may have a really big space between the cab and bed.

I’d make sure they have a good plan to get this correct including mocking it all up to get it to fit right. Adding in an arbitrary amount just to be sure could leave you with another mess. Best approach would really be to build a new chassis which meets the specs and swap it out for you.
Scott, there should be a gap between the running boards and the bed per Tom there should be a gasket. metal on metal rub would cause rust. im not sure if its under the cab, but maybe right behind the cab. you cutting your 4 link might make them to short... and yes make sure your running boards and chassis line up, i had slits in my running board to go in and out but not front to back.
i think what Evan was thinking was just adding 3 in on the back end, and then redoing my frame mounting holes for the bed, but yes if he does this then i am not sure if the axle will be centered in for my wheel arches. But beyond that I want the geometry to be correct, there is only so much play with the johnny joints before they become weak or you bottom out the threads. If they cut the frame behind the cab then they would have to redo my exhaust and all my lines... I AGREE A NEW CHASSIS THAT IS CORRECT WOULD BE THE BEST. Unfortunately I dont see that happening in my future.

My travel blog
The Wong Winding Road-Adventures of The Chinese Cowboy
https://thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com/
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote