The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
plowro8

Door locks

When I bought my 72 the previous owner had lost the key to the door locks. After sinking a bunch of money into the truck, I would really like to be able to lock it. Is there a way for someone to key the existing locks, or do I need to get new locks? What is the best course of action?
plowro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowro8 View Post
When I bought my 72 the previous owner had lost the key to the door locks. After sinking a bunch of money into the truck, I would really like to be able to lock it. Is there a way for someone to key the existing locks, or do I need to get new locks? What is the best course of action?
The door locks should use the same key as the ignition. Have you tried the ignition key in the door locks? Spray some penetrating oil in the lock cylinders first.

I can make keys for your existing door locks or sell you a complete new OEM GM set.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734140

If you don't need or want OEM you can buy reproduction. Last I checked there were two suppliers to the vendors, one being made overseas and one being made in Mexico. The ones being made in Mexico are better quality than the ones being made overseas. The set I would buy is "Classic Auto Locks CL 104" with the number 53-480 on the package.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72.../#.UmaFKsgkzTo

There is no guarantee that they have not changed suppliers though. If anyone buys a set from ClassicParts let us know if they still say "Made In Mexico" on the package.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
plowro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The door locks should use the same key as the ignition. Have you tried the ignition key in the door locks? Spray some penetrating oil in the lock cylinders first.

I can make keys for your existing door locks or sell you a complete new OEM GM set.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734140

If you don't need or want OEM you can buy reproduction. Last I checked there were two suppliers to the vendors, one being made overseas and one being made in Mexico. The ones being made in Mexico are better quality than the ones being made overseas. The set I would buy is "Classic Auto Locks CL 104" with the number 53-480 on the package.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72.../#.UmaFKsgkzTo

There is no guarantee that they have not changed suppliers though. If anyone buys a set from ClassicParts let us know if they still say "Made In Mexico" on the package.

LockDoc
Thanks Doc,

I have tried the ignition key and it definitely will not turn the door locks. I have another issue, too. I can push the knob down to lock the doors, but not when they are latched. Perhaps there is some sort of strike that isn't catching on the jamb side, but I can see the mechanism moving at the strike area when I press the knob up and down. This is the first time I have really tried to dig-in on the issue, and I just assumed that there was a separate key for the doors, kind of like the old oval GM keys you would have on a car for the trunk.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks Doc,

I have tried the ignition key and it definitely will not turn the door locks. I have another issue, too. I can push the knob down to lock the doors, but not when they are latched. Perhaps there is some sort of strike that isn't catching on the jamb side, but I can see the mechanism moving at the strike area when I press the knob up and down. This is the first time I have really tried to dig-in on the issue, and I just assumed that there was a separate key for the doors, kind of like the old oval GM keys you would have on a car for the trunk.

Roll the window down and push in on the door from the outside while you push the button down and see if it works.

Have you lubed the door latch and lock mechanism? Roll the window down and spray some good penetrating oil (not WD-40) on the back of the lock and on the latch. You can see the latch and back of the lock inside the door with the window down if you use a good light.

The two key system for the trucks started in 1973.

Leon

-
Old 08-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
plowro8

Quote:
Roll the window down and push in on the door from the outside while you push the button down and see if it works.

Have you lubed the door latch and lock mechanism? Roll the window down and spray some good penetrating oil (not WD-40) on the back of the lock and on the latch. You can see the latch and back of the lock inside the door with the window down if you use a good light.

The two key system for the trucks started in 1973.

Leon
I lubed the latch and lock, inside and out. Key slides into lock smoothly, but definitely will not turn either lock - driver or passenger. Must be the wrong locks for that key.

I was able to tinker with the door jamb latch enough to get the doors to lock, though. I have been needing to do that for a while anyway to get my doors to close flush with the body.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I lubed the latch and lock, inside and out. Key slides into lock smoothly, but definitely will not turn either lock - driver or passenger. Must be the wrong locks for that key.

I was able to tinker with the door jamb latch enough to get the doors to lock, though. I have been needing to do that for a while anyway to get my doors to close flush with the body.

You are evidently right on the locks being different My guess would be that someone changed the ignition lock cylinder at some point.

Good deal on the latches.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-17-2023, 10:05 PM   #7
Trio

Quote:
You are evidently right on the locks being different My guess would be that someone changed the ignition lock cylinder at some point.

Good deal on the latches.

LockDoc

Reviving a 5-year old thread. My new to me '71 only has one ignition key, and it will not work on either door lock. In fact, it won't even push half way into the lock cylinder on the door, let alone turn them. I need to make a duplicate ignition key, but I also want it open the door locks. Or, I am also fine have a separate key for the door locks, but can this even be done without replacing the cylinders? And if I HAVE to replace the door lock cylinders, should I just go all the way and get a matching replacement ignition cylinder with the set?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

1971 C20 350/700R4
Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:15 PM   #8
chiefcfd

You need to message LockDoc. He can answer all your questions.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:56 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
Reviving a 5-year old thread. My new to me '71 only has one ignition key, and it will not work on either door lock. In fact, it won't even push half way into the lock cylinder on the door, let alone turn them. I need to make a duplicate ignition key, but I also want it open the door locks. Or, I am also fine have a separate key for the door locks, but can this even be done without replacing the cylinders? And if I HAVE to replace the door lock cylinders, should I just go all the way and get a matching replacement ignition cylinder with the set?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

That means that the ignition lock has been changed at some point in time. If the ignition key won't fit in the door locks they can't be re- keyed to match the ignition key. Does your ignition key have a letter stamped into the side of it, or a number on it? Take a look at post #18 in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=842698

That post is about hatch locks but the principal is the same.

If you can figure out what key series your ignition uses I might have a pair of used door locks that I can key like your ignition key.

Let me know what you find.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-17-2023 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
Trio

Quote:
That means that the ignition lock has been changed at some point in time. If the ignition key won't fit in the door locks they can't be re- keyed to match the ignition key. Does your ignition key have a letter stamped into the side of it, or a number on it? Take a look at post #18 in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=842698

That post is about hatch locks but the principal is the same.

If you can figure out what key series your ignition uses I might have a pair of used door locks that I can key like your ignition key.

Let me know what you find.

LockDoc

Stamped "B44" over top of an "E". I'll shoot you a PM with a pic. Yes, would love to have a set of door locks keyed the same. Also, it is easy to find a blank to have another ignition key cut?

1971 C20 350/700R4
Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
Stamped "B44" over top of an "E". I'll shoot you a PM with a pic. Yes, would love to have a set of door locks keyed the same. Also, it is easy to find a blank to have another ignition key cut?

I do have two "E" groove door lock cylinders I can key to your ignition key. I also have all kinds of key blanks. PM returned.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
lolcopter

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D571A...d_i=B0013FZU7O
lolcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Snip Link
Those are automobile door locks with black faces instead of stainless face truck locks. They will still fit our trucks, but can't be matched to the truck ignition because they use the oval head keys instead of the rectangular head keys.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-18-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:05 PM   #14
Ironangel

I just replace all three, get reacquainted with door locks and ignition switches. Less than $30... https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72.../#.UmaFKsgkzTo PS. I have a Counterpart 53-480 in my hand that say's "Made in Taiwan" that does a good job of replacing the OEM or NOS stuff. I was ordering plugs today, R44T's were $2 bucks a plug, "Made in Taiwon" but you can only buy 12, once, my card wouldn't go for the second attempt. I'll try again tomorrow, two bucks a plug is cheap! I REALLY like the one key concept, it's a life saver for some of us!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 03-18-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:49 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I just replace all three, get reacquainted with door locks and ignition switches. Less than $30... https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72.../#.UmaFKsgkzTo PS. I have a Counterpart 53-480 in my hand that say's "Made in Taiwan" that does a good job of replacing the OEM or NOS stuff.

Michael,

I respectfully disagree on the overseas locks being as good as the OEM or NOS, or being a good replacement for them. I have disassembled some of them and the tumblers and springs used in them are inferior to anything made in the US or Mexico. Classic Parts used to sell the "Classic Auto Locks" CL-104 sets which are just as good as OEM and they are made in Mexico. I'm sure they quit selling the CL-104 because they can get the Counterpart sets a lot cheaper. Yes, the Classic Auto Lock sets are $10 more but they are well worth it. Speedway sells the CL-104 sets and I can tell you for a fact that all of the internal parts in those locks are 100% interchangeable with the original and OEM GM locks for our trucks.....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Class...GM,116526.html

Buy these and forget about the overseas lock sets. You won't regret it. You may find them cheaper from other suppliers, shop around.

Just my 46 years of Locksmith experience 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
'

-
Old 03-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I replaced the ignition switch awhile back, but even before that the switch and the door keys didn't match. I actually prefer that. The reason (if I heard it right) for different keys was to lower theft rates. Thieves would use a slide hammer to remove a door lock, copy it and start the car with the correct key. Once that didn't work, they just busted the column and got around the lock, since the switch was actually at the bottom of the column. Thieves.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:18 PM   #17
Ironangel

Quote:
Michael,

I respectfully disagree on the overseas locks being as good as the OEM or NOS, or being a good replacement for them. I have disassembled some of them and the tumblers and springs used in them are inferior to anything made in the US or Mexico. Classic Parts used to sell the "Classic Auto Locks" CL-104 sets which are just as good as OEM and they are made in Mexico. I'm sure they quit selling the CL-104 because they can get the Counterpart sets a lot cheaper. Yes, the Classic Auto Lock sets are $10 more but they are well worth it. Speedway sells the CL-104 sets and I can tell you for a fact that all of the internal parts in those locks are 100% interchangeable with the original and OEM GM locks for our trucks.....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Class...GM,116526.html

Buy these and forget about the overseas lock sets. You won't regret it. You may find them cheaper from other suppliers, shop around.

Just my 46 years of Locksmith experience 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
'
Duley noted, I try to buy American Made products whenever I can. I can see where Speedway's Classic Auto Locks may be a superior lock compared to most of what's available out there. I wasn't aware of the site and yes, I fully agree with paying a little more for well made parts.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote