The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #26
ShortbedClayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Any Updates?

Sorry for the gap in posting been super busy working. I have been making some slow progress but I’m really trying to work a little each night after work.. I’ll post up some updated pics

Posted via Mobile Device
ShortbedClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #27
ShortbedClayton

Got the cab back tacked on in a few spots.. don’t quite know if it’s exactly where it should be so leaving it tacked until further progress is made.. re hung the pass side rear door checking gaps... got the rounded piece in the door as well. Got glass window run channel installed and threw the window in to make sure it still works properly..
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #28
ShortbedClayton

Kinda at a standstill with the passenger side so onto the real work.. drivers side. Got to working on the B pillar. Man I didn’t realize all the work that would go into this. I don’t think I’m a 1/4 way done yet but satisfied with the work so far.. getting itchy to start the 4th door but patients is key... sorry if the pics are sideways
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #29
ShortbedClayton

Finished up the drivers side B pillar. A ton of work involved in this and many hours but pleased with the outcome.. got it all ground and sanded down. Still have some cleaning up to do but it’s tome to start on a door...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #30
ShortbedClayton

Starting on the fourth door.... not much progress. Just working on getting the inner door section and hinge area figured out. Figured I’ll reskin the door once completed
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #31
ShortbedClayton

More door progress pics..
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #32
Getter-Done

Re: 1972 Chevy Crew Cab “Denali”

Nice work on all of it .
Good clean lines
Especially that 4th door.
I like your path with the 4th door.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
ShortbedClayton

Quote:
Nice work on all of it .
Good clean lines
Especially that 4th door.
I like your path with the 4th door.

Thank you my friend!! Still a ton to do on the door! Got all the internal workings of the door figured out this pass weekend. Hoping to finish metal work possibly this weekend so then some rust inhibitor and seam sealer on the inside and then it’s time to start on outer skin.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #34
ShortbedClayton

Been pecking away at the door... got everything working correctly internally. Modified both window channels and got all lock linkage figured out. All the pieces for that came from a third door as well. Door hinge reinforcement is done... took everything back apart and finished all welding on the door inner. Got a new door bottom in as well.. laid down some rust inhibitor on the inside of the door.. need to get some primer and seam sealer on the inner and it’s time for new outer skin and about to close up the door for good! Finally
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #35
ShortbedClayton

Took a break from the door as I’m tired of seeing doors and door pieces.. PO cut out the dash for an aftermarket head unit and that can’t stay in there. Plan on running a factory AM/FM so I cut up a diner dash panel and welded that in. This also gave me my center AC hole. Just need to cut outer holes for vent balls...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #36
ShortbedClayton

Finished up the new reskin on the fourth door and it came out better than I expected... been working on the floor lately in hopes of mounting to the chassis to complete rockers and cab corners and supports...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #37
ShortbedClayton

Starting to work on the rear floor as well. Hand to get another doner cab to get front bench seat mounts.. I had the pieces but wasn’t thinking and scrapped them.. oh well 40$ cab is shot but it came in handy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #38
ShortbedClayton

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #39
ShortbedClayton

Starting to get chassis ready for new cab. All new lift springs and shackles. Went with a 4” lift. Also completed a shortbed conversion on a longbed. Bed was a little rough but using it for mock up right now at this point I plan on building a new bed with aftermarket parts down the road when paint is near.. for now this will do the trick and I enjoyed doing it. Not welded solid only tacked ever 1/4” or so
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #40
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

This is very cool to watch....I wouldn't or couldn't do it, but fun to watch...keep posting progress. I love it.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #41
ShortbedClayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
This is very cool to watch....I wouldn't or couldn't do it, but fun to watch...keep posting progress. I love it.
Thanks. I try to keep the followers updated.. hopefully my thread will help the next guy on the fence about building one...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #42
Getter-Done

Great pictures and documentation of your build

Nice work.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #43
ShortbedClayton

Quote:
Great pictures and documentation of your build

Nice work.

Thank you! Hope your crew is coming along as well..

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #44
ShortbedClayton

Figured since the cab is stout enough to lift again I can start preparing to mount on chassis. Now that I have a shortbed that will help me figure where and how much to add. First I removed the front most bed mount. Then I measured my shortbed k10 frame from center of front bed mount to center of cab mount. I ground rivers off of the rear cab mounts and moved them back according to my k10 measurements... Next would be to measure center to center on cab mounts on crew cab and compare on frame to see how much I need to add. Came out to be 20 3/4” I needed to add. I got doner frame rails from a 1967 c20.. did some cross measuring on frame and a lot of bracing before cutting. Did a simple 6” stair step notch with reinforcement plates on back side. Welded them solid with two plug welds per plate. I also used run off tabs at each flange so I was getting full penn welds by the time I got to frame rail..
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #45
ShortbedClayton

With this corona virus going around most the places around here are feeling the effect but my company is still working 10 hours a day. Well spent 10 hours on Monday second guessing my frame lengthing.. So I was on a mission to set the cab on it’s new home. I set the front of cab down first and got both mount bolts in place. Rolled to the back and the rear mount bolts threaded right in barely any effort so my frame modifications were spot on.. Couldn’t be more pleased now it’s starting to look like something. This is where I’m at currently...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #46
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortbedClayton View Post
Figured since the cab is stout enough to lift again I can start preparing to mount on chassis. Now that I have a shortbed that will help me figure where and how much to add. First I removed the front most bed mount. Then I measured my shortbed k10 frame from center of front bed mount to center of cab mount. I ground rivers off of the rear cab mounts and moved them back according to my k10 measurements... Next would be to measure center to center on cab mounts on crew cab and compare on frame to see how much I need to add. Came out to be 20 3/4” I needed to add. I got doner frame rails from a 1967 c20.. did some cross measuring on frame and a lot of bracing before cutting. Did a simple 6” stair step notch with reinforcement plates on back side. Welded them solid with two plug welds per plate. I also used run off tabs at each flange so I was getting full penn welds by the time I got to frame rail..
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you plan to box in any of the frame?

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #47
ShortbedClayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Do you plan to box in any of the frame?

Not at this time.. eventually I’m gonna weld up some unnecessary holes in the frame and then I’ll probably put one or two crossmembers in there somewhere
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #48
ShortbedClayton

Threw a front clip and hood on I had laying around and pushed it outside to stand back and look. WOW looking like a truck now.. of course I had to throw some hooks and k20 hub caps on it for a quick picture...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #49
TA_C10

It's going to be awesome.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #50
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Hard to take back apart once they look like a truck, but it is very motivating. Looks great. I want one!! Are you going to try to keep the truck roof profile or the burb?
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote