The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
zschary

Igntion switch key angle

So i have a 67 c20.. I bought another igntion switch for it and new lock cylinders.. I have been reading that 67 had no accessory postion? this new switch seems to have it to the left.. Problem is i cant get the key to be vertical up and down when its off, its clocked to the right.. It works fine in the lock but this will drive me nuts if the key is not straight up and down like it was..
anyone run into this.. ? I did try to turn the whole thing to the left to align it, its still off..
zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:12 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Igntion switch key angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschary View Post
So i have a 67 c20.. I bought another igntion switch for it and new lock cylinders.. I have been reading that 67 had no accessory postion? this new switch seems to have it to the left.. Problem is i cant get the key to be vertical up and down when its off, its clocked to the right.. It works fine in the lock but this will drive me nuts if the key is not straight up and down like it was..
anyone run into this.. ? I did try to turn the whole thing to the left to align it, its still off..

Original '67 ignition switches did not have an accessory position. New replacements probably do but the wiring won't be there for it. There are 3 small nubs on the spacer that fits behind the dash and 3 notches in the hole in the dash. If you make sure that the the key is in the vertical position and the nubs are in the notches before you screw the bezel on, it will be in the correct position and stay there.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures on my computer but I can post some in the morning if you want me to.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
zschary

thanks.. i will look at it again today... I dont see switches avail for 67 only trucks without ACC, do you know if they are available for purchase anywhere? Not a huge deal of course.. thank you
Old 11-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
thanks.. i will look at it again today... I dont see switches avail for 67 only trucks without ACC, do you know if they are available for purchase anywhere? Not a huge deal of course.. thank you

I doubt if they are available unless you can find a NOS one.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Looks like my local NAPA has it. Don't know why it specifies w/o tilt wheel, since it sure looks like a dash-mounted switch.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...Qualified=true

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
zschary

are all 6 of those at that link no accessory position switches? how does one know it does not have the access position? I did manage today getting it in straight, i was thinking when i took it out the key goes in with the ridges up so i was trying to install it wrong to begin with.. Thanks Lockdoc for the help..

i think i would like the right switch though if i the accessory position does not work..
Old 11-21-2020, 12:32 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
are all 6 of those at that link no accessory position switches? how does one know it does not have the access position? I did manage today getting it in straight, i was thinking when i took it out the key goes in with the ridges up so i was trying to install it wrong to begin with.. Thanks Lockdoc for the help..

i think i would like the right switch though if i the accessory position does not work..

No problem on the help.

I would be surprised if any of them are the original type switch for the '67. I don't think they are made any longer.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-21-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
zschary

thanks i appreciate it.. I will look around a bit, but maybe i will try to wire it up so something is on in accessory and it will bother me less.. small thing
Old 11-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #9
zschary

so the accessory wire would be the large brown wire? My plug prob does not have that right? if i plugged a wire in there it goes to the fuse panel im sure... i guess i have to take the fuse panel apart to power the accessory position.. Do you know lockdoc how to do that? thanks for all the help
Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
so the accessory wire would be the large brown wire? My plug prob does not have that right? if i plugged a wire in there it goes to the fuse panel im sure... i guess i have to take the fuse panel apart to power the accessory position.. Do you know lockdoc how to do that? thanks for all the help

Yes, large brown wire is for the ACC circuit (12BRN) it goes to the inside of the fuse panel. Location shown in Picture. There may be an empty spade terminal in that location. So if the switch has the ACC position when you turn the key to the left, all you should have to do is connect a 12 gauge brown wire from the ACC terminal on the back of the switch to that terminal on the inside of the fuse panel. The wire is 55 inches long and has female spade terminals on both ends. As you can see in the picture the fuse panel end has to be a 90º angle. You may be able to just bend a straight one over after you have it attached. I have never had to do this so if you end up doing it post back in this thread and let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
LockDoc
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
zschary

thats very clear.. whats the best way to get to the back of the panel, does it unbolt from the front? i have never worked on it.. I did have to unbolt the harness from under the hood, i figured it was all one piece.. anyway.. thank you !
Old 11-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
thats very clear.. whats the best way to get to the back of the panel, does it unbolt from the front? i have never worked on it.. I did have to unbolt the harness from under the hood, i figured it was all one piece.. anyway.. thank you !

Just remove the bolt from under the hood (it's 3/8" head) and unplug the harness plug from the firewall, go inside and remove the two small 1/4" head screws. They are pretty long and come out hard all the way because of the sealer on them. If I remember correctly one of the screws is under one of the flashers. You should then be able to twist the fuse panel enough to see the back of it.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
zschary

Great.. i will post it when i get there.. thanks