The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
DonP67

67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Hi all,

New to the forum and a long time lurker. I purchased a 67c10 long bed a couple of years ago with the intention of shortening it from a LWB to a SWB truck (LWB will not fit in my garage). I was looking to have this done professionally at a shop and haven't had much luck in the Central Ohio area finding someone to do it.

I did find a shop that agreed to do it and being a little over zealous contracted them to do it last year without doing research on them. No progress has been made on the truck and I'm getting the run around from the owner... Live and learn I guess. My plan now is to get the truck back and explore alternative options, hence coming to the forum and seeing if I can drum up something here?

Any help or shop recommendations would be very much appreciated!

I did try the search function but didn't find much in regards to shops. A ton of threads about DIY which I am open to but would like someone with experience doing it to guide and assist.

Thanks,
Don
DonP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP67 View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and a long time lurker. I purchased a 67c10 long bed a couple of years ago with the intention of shortening it from a LWB to a SWB truck (LWB will not fit in my garage). I was looking to have this done professionally at a shop and haven't had much luck in the Central Ohio area finding someone to do it.

I did find a shop that agreed to do it and being a little over zealous contracted them to do it last year without doing research on them. No progress has been made on the truck and I'm getting the run around from the owner... Live and learn I guess. My plan now is to get the truck back and explore alternative options, hence coming to the forum and seeing if I can drum up something here?

Any help or shop recommendations would be very much appreciated!

I did try the search function but didn't find much in regards to shops. A ton of threads about DIY which I am open to but would like someone with experience doing it to guide and assist.

Thanks,
Don
One of the best little shops out there is Boris @ StreetMachinery in Euclid OH
https://streetmachinery.com/
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
tim_mc

HotRod Garage did a LWB to SWB in one of their episodes using the Brothers kit. Seeing the video might change your mind on doing it yourself. If you're not a welder, I believe the kit's c-channel will allow you to bolt it up so that you can trailer it to a shop to have the shortened frame welded together.
Welcome from a fellow long time lurker!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
gmc684x4

I would feel comfortable putting my kids in my truck that was cut and welded to make a shorted
I would not feel comfortable with a cut and bolted frame
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
hevy_chevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
I would feel comfortable putting my kids in my truck that was cut and welded to make a shorted
I would not feel comfortable with a cut and bolted frame
The Brothers kit still require welding. The bolt in part just allows you to move it if needed.
1969 GMC Suburban - 5.3 LS, 4L60e
hevy_chevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
DonP67

I've looked into the DIY kits a good bit, the brothers one is pretty well documented on YouTube between their channel and a couple of others. Seems like it would be simple enough to have a couple of buddies over and see if we can't figure it out. I'll also look into that Street machine shop SCOTI mentioned. Thanks all!
DonP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP67 View Post
I've looked into the DIY kits a good bit, the brothers one is pretty well documented on YouTube between their channel and a couple of others. Seems like it would be simple enough to have a couple of buddies over and see if we can't figure it out. I'll also look into that Street machine shop SCOTI mentioned. Thanks all!
Boris is a member here (way2lo2).

They sell: Truck-Arm suspension lowering blocks; budget air-ride kits, & big brake kits.

The shop is known for classic car sales that get the famous "Stop, Drop, & Roll" treatment:
* Big brake kits
* Lowering/Air-ride/Coil-Overs
* Wheels/tires/exhaust
* Late model engine & EFI conversions
* Nip & Tuck LWB to SWB conversions (w/blended patina/OG paint matching if desired).

His paint guy is one of the best patina guys in the business. The exhaust work on their builds is quite impressive as well as the EFI engine swaps.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-21-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
BigBird05

I just shortened mine. I took the dimensions from the shortening forum and just z chopped the frame. The hardest part was trusting my welding. I also made frame reinforcements to cover the chopped up section. I first bolted the frame reinforcement brackets in before I started welding. I saved the $450.00 that Brothers wants for there kit.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
gmc684x4

Here is a YouTube of Stacy David cutting down a long box to shortbox 67 72 truck and a thread how to do it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjlxpF8RL9Q

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=123624
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I bought this kit pretty much because I wanted to see what the quality was.

https://www.longshotfab.com/products...bed-conversion

I have an extra C10 frame I'm going to try it on. I haven't installed it yet because of other priorities that came up but it looks pretty good. Comes with decent instructions.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
tutone

I would trust my own work if I was proficient at welding. I don't know your skill level, but if you can read a tape measure and drill a hole, you are 90 percent there. Check out my build thread in my signature, and you can search an earlier thread of mine. I have documented 2 different methods. The last one Stacy David style. His way is easier with the cab off. Good luck to you.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #12
FRCvette

I see you are from Ohio as I am too. These guys specialize in shortening down c10's but they are in Knoxville Tn. Rusbuilt Street Rods. At least that is what I read.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 AM   #13
Peanut74

I used the Brothers kit to shorten my long bed. Could I have done it by copying David Stanceys method, yes. However, I also wanted to get it right the first time and make sure I had everything covered. IE: Shorten the frame, moving the rear cab mount, etc.

As stated above it is a C-channel that is bolted to your frame. Slots are in the channels to make sure your cuts are good and correct. You will need to get the frame welded but the bolts will hold everything together to get there. Overall I thought it was worth the money to make sure it was done right.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

I have an extra C10 frame I'm going to try it on. I haven't installed it yet because of other priorities that came up but it looks pretty good. Comes with decent instructions.

LockDoc
That looks really interesting, let us know how it goes when you get around to it!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
That looks really interesting, let us know how it goes when you get around to it!

It may be a while now unless we have more mild weather. I will have to put one of my finished cars outside to have a warm place to work on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #16
jsprengeler

Has anyone had this done by a body shop utilizing one of these kits? If so, what did they charge you? I'm considering this, but I don't have the space, tools, and not comfortable with my abilities to do this right.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
SCOTI

I don't know about the 'how much' question but I know of @ least 2 guys here in TX that did a LWB to SWB frame shortening in apartment complex parking lots by hiring local certified mobile welding guys to weld their frames. This was w/o kits like these; these type of kits would only make it easier to ensure proper cuts & alignment.

A corporate body shop chain probably wouldn't do it but a local independent body shop or welding shop would be the better choice. It won't get done on the cheap though. I would expect a minimum of 3hrs time charged @ >$100/hr labor rate (shop space, the experienced guy doing the labor, consumables, validating fit, equipment set-up + their profit margin).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #18
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
This guy is local to me. I have also "saved" them to use in the future. They'll usually run a "Black Friday" deal - at least in the past, they have. It looks pretty simple, and at half the cost of the Brother's template.

He also is working on a lot of other "projects" that seem to be future offerings. He 3D models suspensions, frames, and several other custom jobs for a few different projects. Makes some racecar stuff too.

I got a quote from a guy in my area to do the conversion. $1900 and about 2 weeks, or so. Shorten the frame, the bed, the driveshaft (and balance), breaklines, wiring, etc. Basically, drop it off, he does it, you drive it home. Didn't seem like a bad deal, to me.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
jsprengeler

Thumbs up Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
This guy is local to me. I have also "saved" them to use in the future. They'll usually run a "Black Friday" deal - at least in the past, they have. It looks pretty simple, and at half the cost of the Brother's template.

He also is working on a lot of other "projects" that seem to be future offerings. He 3D models suspensions, frames, and several other custom jobs for a few different projects. Makes some racecar stuff too.

I got a quote from a guy in my area to do the conversion. $1900 and about 2 weeks, or so. Shorten the frame, the bed, the driveshaft (and balance), breaklines, wiring, etc. Basically, drop it off, he does it, you drive it home. Didn't seem like a bad deal, to me.
$1900.00 seems like a steel!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
Peanut74

x2
$1900 is a good deal and well worth it. If I had found someone to do it for that price it would have saved me a bunch of money just changing the bed.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote