The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2021, 05:38 AM   #101
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

I do Continue to be amused by this truck and finding little tweaks, not looking for my to do, they just pop up.

And I have to respond.

Seems like a reasonable visual illusionary idea....

Solution.

Promptly followed by this bright idea.

Will be interesting to do this as I did Prozac the Berlingo, and also the Non Project Blazer before with success.

So what can we do today?
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:39 PM   #102
Grizz1963

Marmite.

Chalk n Cheese.

Give and Take.

Wheels from other brands.

Still have the hots for a set of these, I see they come as low as £120.00 for 4 with or without tyres.

So with the 5x120 size here, a lot of non-GM wheels will be needing spacers to place them right in the arches.

Yesterday afternoon around 5.00pm I saw some 5x120 BMW 20mm spacers with a 72mm centre bore on Marketplace for £20.00 including 9 bolts about 10 miles from here.

The S10 uses Nuts, not bolts, so missing one was fine, and these can be used for trading again at some point.

Contacted the seller to say I was interested but could only collect today if I went out for some hardware, and that he should sell them if another buyer came up.

“Where do you live, I am headed out for some food shopping in a few minutes”

Told him where I lived, and he said he would run by and just drop them off on the driveway en route to the grocery store.

So half an hour later I traded, a pack of Haribo Mix for his kids in the car and some cash for him. Saved me 20 miles driving and specific planning.

Nice way to end my day........; now to find something interesting to fit for winter wheels. (No, absolutely do not need them, you are right)

Went to bed late, woke too early, by 05.00 so sat chatting with Dennis in St Louis about life and the 66 NASCAR C10 Truck build that is progressing.

Later he went to bed and I went down for breakfast.

Pleasant surprise outside.

Rain had stopped, thankfully, as I had a few plans for today.

Plan one for today was to fit the resistors over the LED indicator wires.

One on each side.

Front end disassembled again, easier every time as you learn your way around this truck.

Outside was 3’C and shady, plus there was a brisk breeze, cutting through 4 layers, that was less than pleasant.

This is the mess I found.

Remember the wiring on the Blazer? That was certainly worse, and I got that lot tidied up.

Tried to get the soldering iron warm enough to undo the joins the cowboy who did the original wiring “modifications” had done was fun, it actually did not get warm enough.

Mate Martin had given advice remotely as well, as he speaks electrics in his sleep. But a bit of a struggle for my little brain overall.

@craigrk suggested I remove all the mess and use some of these plugs units.

So I ordered them off eBay for delivery next weekend.and will solder in new wires and connections.

Reassembled. Amber bulbs fitted temporarily.

https://youtu.be/jyv9UAEtv4Q

After this I came in to warm up and also had a delivery.

One more small job left to do a bit later.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #103
Grizz1963

Been a bit busy with the day job.

Small jobs.

This one took about 6 minutes in total.

I hear @pauly clapping now.

And they are ready to be off to Hampshire

And in their place will be a set of original manufacturers specification lights.

Personal choice yes.

Remember how pitted my battery tray was, lots of holes rusted through.

Reached out to Robert, they guy selling me an original steering wheel, and asked if he maybe had one in better condition.

He went through his scrap pile nd found this one, needs a bit of cleaning and painting, but looks better than mine.

Saw this truck for sale on FB today.

In case someone needs one.

145k miles and £6750.00

And so that is all for today.

Bit by bit.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #104
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad you are changing the tial/brake light assembly. The factory looks better to me also.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #105
Just call me Sean

Yes, I like the factory ones better too.

It looks like the reverse light was changed to an amber signal light? I always thought that would be a neat way to convert to euro specs. But where are the reverse lights?
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #106
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad you are changing the tial/brake light assembly. The factory looks better to me also.
Thanks BILL, I do agree of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Yes, I like the factory ones better too.

It looks like the reverse light was changed to an amber signal light? I always thought that would be a neat way to convert to euro specs. But where are the reverse lights?
Sean, I still need to figure that out.

One plan is o investigate switchback lights.

Covid-19 has taught us to work more sensibly, if not cleverly.

Everything done remotely, and with little more concern, circumspection and care.

So buying the wheels for the truck....... paid remotely yesterday.

Got it all piled up outside a garage at a post code, collection and pickup arranged by someone who happens to be doing a disability conversion for hand controls in a paraplegics car a few houses away.

Clever, or blind luck?

Got to see what I have bought by messenger video today, terrible video quality, but happy to have seen it anyways.

Note the original rear lights, wheel nut caps and centre caps all in the pic as well.

Tyre treads seem to be pretty decent, not needing replacement at this point.

BONUS TIME:

Steve the seller is also giving me a GMC Grille and headlights, which could work on my truck with minimal modifications.

He also has a 4.3 V6 and Auto gearbox to sell. PM me for details.

Then Steve dropped the bombshell........

Gear-lever came off, and I have left the Torx screw on it, in case you have a problem with yours.

He remembered I was looking into changing mine recently and has given me his.

I want to strip the rubbed knob off, and fit this new ally knob.

Somehow the little grub screws are missing, but you get the idea.

Pretty pleased tonight.

Little by Little it is getting together.

Chuffed.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #107
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Sean, I still need to figure that out.

One plan is o investigate switchback lights.
If they do operate as the turn signals then someone had to alter the wiring. Brake and turn signals go through the turn signal switch (I think it's called the multi function switch as it also controls the hazard lights.) It separates front from back and left from right so the fronts don't light when you step on the brake but they do when you turn on the turn signal. So unless there is some kind of signal splitter (we have them to connect single bulb red trailer lights to euro style car lights) then the brake light wires might be cut from the turn signal switch and attached directly to the brake switch. Then the cut switch wires would have wires ran to each reverse light, and the reverse light wire would be moved to the new reverse light.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #108
Just call me Sean

Thinking about it more, without having to run any wires, they could have used the reverse light wire for the brake lights, the brake light wires for the turn signals, and you wouldn't have any reverse lights. Most of the modifications would be under the dashboard.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #109
Grizz1963

Quote:
If they do operate as the turn signals then someone had to alter the wiring. Brake and turn signals go through the turn signal switch (I think it's called the multi function switch as it also controls the hazard lights.) It separates front from back and left from right so the fronts don't light when you step on the brake but they do when you turn on the turn signal. So unless there is some kind of signal splitter (we have them to connect single bulb red trailer lights to euro style car lights) then the brake light wires might be cut from the turn signal switch and attached directly to the brake switch. Then the cut switch wires would have wires ran to each reverse light, and the reverse light wire would be moved to the new reverse light.
Complete Greek to me Sean, I would call a friend to figure the stuff out.

Quote:
Thinking about it more, without having to run any wires, they could have used the reverse light wire for the brake lights, the brake light wires for the turn signals, and you wouldn't have any reverse lights. Most of the modifications would be under the dashboard.
Under dash mods are even more of a problem for me, but maybe whoever does look at it will be able to figure something out.

The Fleetside badges on the sides of the truck have been a thorn in my side from day one, mainly because they are both drilled through in 4 places.

I am kinda ambivalent about the aesthetic, but the holes bug the living hell out of me.

And I will not be welding them up or closing them, and repainting the whole truck.

So making the best of it came together today.

Chatting with Fil in Cambridge who fetched the Rezin Rockit, after his offer of a new rear bed mat for the truck, his suggestion of a tongue in cheek name for the truck resonated, and set in motion some work and research

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
We need to find a name for the truck, remove the 'fleet side' badges and cast a new badge with the truck's name on it....

Given the lovely engine burble I'm voting for "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Jolity aside - your last post reminded me that I still have plenty of G-Floor diamond pattern flooring left over if you'd like it for the truck bed.

3.1mm thick polyvinyl (waterproof, resistant to oil, salt and even battery acid) 2.3m wide and I can cut the roll to length

Looks a bit like this

It's actually a lighter grey than that photo suggests. Slight blue tint to it - a bit like battleship grey. I can send a sample piece if you want to see the colour properly against the van before lopping off a big chunk?
40mm high

400mm long

Wedge shaped and flat faced, pic taken tonight as part of the planning.

So the attention turned to CraigRK and Andy in Tulsa Oklahoma, both capable 3D printers.

Could they print and Cast me a new set of silly custom side badges to fit over the holes with some double sided tape.

Something along this style.

Of course it may be a divider, but hey, life is interesting.

Let’s see where this goes.

.PS: Fill said that he likes the Rumble of the V6, lets see if it can be improved if I can find an electric cutout switch for the exhaust, fitted before the muffler/silencer.

Could be a nice sound................... A BIT LIKE THIS

https://youtu.be/Fwf1M-irmG0

Another one

https://youtu.be/aVbvZmJ82uY

Just enough of an antisocial tone.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #110
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Complete Greek to me Sean, I would call a friend to figure the stuff out.

Under dash mods are even more of a problem for me, but maybe whoever does look at it will be able to figure something out.
It's actually a pretty simple mod but it doesn't need to be changed because it separates the turn and brake signals. I don't see how you could return it to stock and still have separate ambers but I guess that's something you guys have more experience dealing with.

About the badges, have you thought about filling the holes and doing some kind of "pinstripe"?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #111
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Find the back up light wiring and maybe add a couple of flush style LEDs to either side of the plate. I did this to my 64 that didn't have the lights and it worked good. My crappy pictorial of my thought.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #112
Grizz1963

Quote:
Find the back up light wiring and maybe add a couple of flush style LEDs to either side of the plate. I did this to my 64 that didn't have the lights and it worked good. My crappy pictorial of my thought.
Sure I will figure it all out in the end.

Sounds a neat solution
Old 02-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #113
Grizz1963

So many things on this truck, which really was meant to just be a get in and drive it type of ownership project has changed.

Typically things changed.

And then, little by little it started to open itself up to me, allowing me to discover its secrets, its quirks, its character, ZQ8 factory build.

Things have kinda fallen in place, sure, I made some effort too, in fact I probably made a lot of effort in some cases.

And one of the things that happened so randomly was being offered for sale, a 20 year old set of factory ZQ8 wheels with tyres.

I never got to see them and still have not looked at them for real, but was told by Steve the seller that they did not have any kerb rash.

That I will check out when I get to wash and clean them for inspection possibly tomorrow.

With the current restrictions of travel, I had anticipated only getting my hands on them at some point when the house arrest is lifted.

Step up mate Martin who is restoring a 1965 C10 truck

His day job is working and converting all sorts of cars for disabled people, from paraplegics to amputees and everything inbetween

Today he had a job up the street from Steve, so by 09.00 he had already stopped, picked up and driven off with the wheels.

Always good to have a mobile job with a van.

Loaded.

Steve also sent me a very good GMC S15 Sonoma Grille to use as a garage hanging.

After work I shot out for food shopping and stopped by to pick up my goodies and help Martin lift his 65 hood into place as he is moving house in the next two weeks.

Again, sensibly he had prepared it all by the time I got there.

The hood is LARGE, really lARGE.

Job done.

And wheels loaded.

Looking closer, but not fully inspected, they will need repainting.

So QUESTION TIME........

Powder coating, anyone do me shadow chrome on any wheels before ?

Please show me and report on durability etc.

One for a few of the guys, @pauly included, is the replacement, swapped out, 20 year old rear light lenses.

They will be getting some serious attention from G3 rubbing compound to revitalise and shine up the lenses.

Also in the bag were the good centre caps for the wheels, GMC items, unfortunately, available to trade for good Chevrolet items.

A few wheel nut covers in plastic, need another 10 of them, and also 20 special wheel nuts with an external thread for the wheel nut caps, they in turn hold the centre caps in place.

Lastly........

The BONUS item

A spare gear shift lever from Steve’s truck, which will be a floor shift manual in future.

I wanted one that I could modify, while retaining the original for refitting if ever needed.

And to close out the day, a nice sunset again.

Life is good, I may have mentioned this before.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #114
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice haul. So glad it worked out for you Rian, especially getting it quicker than expected.

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #115
Grizz1963

Quote:
Nice haul. So glad it worked out for you Rian, especially getting it quicker than expected.
Orchestration,

Wide open eyes, and mind.

Good Karma

Friendships

All came together Bill.

I am thankful and pleased
Old 02-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #116
Grizz1963

So this morning I went out to see what my £200.00 or $260.00 had bought me.

Tyres, still have some life left in them. (Subject to getting changed at a whim)

These wheels will be needing a refurbishment, without doubt.

Lacquer peel and also oxidation on the diamond cut surfaces, in order to get them up to the standard the truck is presenting.

During my lunch hour I used a whole large bottle of Cif/ammonia based scrubbing agent along with two large, hard brushes to clean them one at a time.

The two on the left are cleaned.

Dirty on the right.

Also done today, at 07.00 when I got up, I cleaned the front and rears of these caps, 20 years worth of brake dust, muck etc took an hour to clean, but result was decent.

Unfortunately I only got 11 wheel nut caps when I got the wheels, so will need to find or buy some more.

And unless I find a trade for some Chevrolet items in the UK, I may fill these debossed GMC logos with a resin based filler and sand them flat, followed by paint.

What I would like to fit......

Hope to have it all done sooner than later.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #117
Grizz1963

Another quick job while on a Teams or was it Zoom meeting today, they get so tedious.

Sat with a big knife and my breadboard below the camera angle (my colleagues would be horrified) and cut the existing knob away.

Then hit hard times.

In fact, so hard that I had to go to the garage quickly to grind back the secondary knob as it was not going to let me cut it away.

Grabbed some magic in a tube, mixed on the back of a pizza box, dribbled into the new ally shift knob,

Followed by the shift lever.

Then set it to dry in the vice, brought it into the house later and laid it on the hot water radiator, hopefully to make it react faster to the heat.

You recall the swapping of rear light units.

Well, looking closer, these need some attention, grinder, DA, Compound I guess.

Not today though.

Once flatted back, polished etc, they should look just fine.

In another great Karma in action turn, I got a PM from @peteh1969 to ask if I was interested in some free 3D design work that @craigrk could print off, in order to create a more interesting cover for the holes in the bedsides of the truck.

The print files would also be sent to Andy in Oklahoma to print and then create aluminium castings for the truck.

So after sending me various designs and ideas, Pete finalised the one I had in mind.

This should be fun, and a massive Thank You to Pete.

Imagine these either in chrome paint, or the ally buffed to a nice shine.

Been a long day, I guess it is bedtime soon.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:34 AM   #118
Grizz1963

So many of the things I have done so far were not needed.

But they do make me feel good about the truck.

Ordered a replacement for this manky piece too.

This lot arrived too.

Though current weather completely precludes fitting.

These also landed.

Push fit blugs for the side repeaters.

Guess we will now be drilling bigger holes in the fenders.

Though.........

Looking at the weather forecast it may be a slow week ahead.

Still.

Its Friday, 10 hours to the weekend.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #119
Grizz1963

Funny the stuff that catches ones eye on FB Marketplace

I was genuinely looking for a random full size spare for the A10

Busy work day, but made some time for myself,

First job took about 5 minutes.

Pleased with the result of that.

Later some more stolen time between meetings, foregoing lunch.

I wanted to black out the B-pillar as part of tinting the door glass to create a large expanse of black.

So ordered a piece of Matt finish black car wrap vinyl @ 200mm x 500mm for £2.88 including postage from eBay, that is CHEAP.

Rolled up for delivery, it did not look promising at all.

Cutting the strip in half, then taping it up, I traced the profile by just rubbing it against the B-pillar and the took some scissors to trim it back (the offcuts are being used on Sallys Corsa rear door mini pillars.

Once trimmed right back, a decent rub down to shape the vinyl on the curves.

And finally all done, next was the passenger side, again done between meetings

Tonight @craigrk sent a message to show what he had done as a test sample.

Thanks to @peteh1969 for the work so far.

I am liking this as an alternative to the existing badges.

Weekend plans??
Old 02-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #120
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I like the new look on the door. Never would have thought of that myself. Good Job!! Can't wait to see your new bed emblem.

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #121
Grizz1963

Quote:
I like the new look on the door. Never would have thought of that myself. Good Job!! Can't wait to see your new bed emblem.
Thanks Bill,

Once the glass is tinted it should come together more.

Snow forecast at 100% for tomorrow,

Emblem is developing.

For a long time I have wanted to buy a metal folder, it beats two lengths of angle iron in the vice.

Which is my usual way.

And the price, new:

So how wrong could I go for £40.00 ?

One meter long, used in a Lamborghini restoration

@peteh1969 finalised the rendering.

Done in three parts with links in the support bar behind, it can be printed on a 200mm bed.

Chatting with Dennis in a cold and wet St Louis, he is busy taking more of the NASCAR Truck apart for more paint and powder coating.

I also carried on with some bits on the truck, wind, rain and chilly.....

Not a lot got done, but a few choice words used.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #122
Grizz1963

Overnight, this happened at @craigrk towers.

@peteh1969 had made it into a 3 piece clip together print.

Resulting in this.

Now needs to be built, glued and finished off.

Then painted and mounted, at least until Andy in Oklahoma can get around to possibly creating a cast and making some cast metal ones.

All the test runs are saved.......

Then added to a small bottle with some acetone and melted down to create a colour coded “glue” to set the parts together.

Some of that gloop that Craig made earlier.

Snowing outside, so I have a few things that I could do indoors.

And a lot of coffee to drink.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #123
Grizz1963

Yesterday, between little showers and a chilly “Beast from the East” wind on the drive, down the side of the house, I started with some more of the lights and wiring.

First job was to identify what the two empty sockets on the rear lights were for, indicating or markers.

Turns out they are red side markers, so I added a pair of amber push fit bulbs in.

Also took the pair of chrome finish amber bulbs. @phila had sent and added them to the rear as they now sit in the space the reverse/backing up lamps were before.

Wrapped them up again as the weather promised a mess.

Next job in the garage was to cut down the old amber and new clear side repeaters and mash them together to make a new unit.

I was not going to drill the buckled holes bigger and also was not going to risk losing the wires into the abyss that is the fender spaces.

White replaces black

Cut them up, ground them to shape and also skimmed the new push fit fittings to fit inside the white tubes.

Before and after.

Back to the truck and found this ........ must have been some cowboy who added the side repeaters, holes are terrible, and then the drivers side wire.......

All there was to work with,

Passenger side...... all of this.

Having cut both old and new lenses up, this what I was left with, sexy glue next.

Then the challenge of the day, rain, chilly breeze and a small electric soldering iron.

Note the two separate shrink sleeves and a large to fit over both.

Trust me when I say, first time around, I managed to seal both, in-insulated in the same large sheath.

Sealed them up in a bit of plastic each, after finding the passenger side which previously was temperamental, now completely refused to work.

Job for another day.

Next up off with the front end....... again.

Rain was not helping, and neither the chill running down the alley.

I managed to find the two lives, soldered the resistor in, incorrectly, having to remove it again.

Gave up, job for another day, screw it, indoors to warm up.

So what I should have connected was A&C but of course I did A&B because I am not too bright on electronics.

And then @paulf sent me this useful,diagram, just when I got indoors.

Unfortunately the cold he cut through my 4 layers on the drive and when I went to bed at 10.30 the chicks came home to roost, causing a spasm that resulted in me taking pills and sitting upright in a chair till 01.30 when I crept up to bed, but too scared to fall asleep in case of another spasm, I eventually dozed off at about 5.30

Trust me, it is less fun than it sounds.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #124
Grizz1963

A few bits done and completed today.

Those side badges that so divide.

Out in the snow.

And inside the bed, the offending holes, if only the fitter had thought it through.

And finally completed,,thanks to @peteh1969 designing and @craigrk printing.

Two different styles, side badges, and a grille badge.

Painting them, still to be researched.

Also completed today, side repeaters.

And the clear glue all darkened with a black Sharpie.

Should work well, once I figure the passenger light bulb out.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #125
Grizz1963

Wrap up for the weekend.

Snow made everything a bit indoorsy, unless you went skiing.

So I traded Steve in a straight swap for my Lexus style rear lights to go on his GMC Sonoma Flareside trailer build as I was trying to get this truck the way I wanted it, and ORM does feature in my vision.

22 year old lenses from a well used truck are far from new, but I was happy to risk it to get toward my picture.

So the lights brought home by Mate Martin last week have been waiting for their turn to get some attention.

Tired, scratched, faded,Matheus were well beyond their best before date.

As delivered.

So first step was to take a deep breath, decide that if my attempt at a ham fisted refresh were to fail, then I was up for finding or buying a new set, not cheap at around £130.00 landed, without handling costs locally.

Thought I would try out my method on one of the side repeaters I removed yesterday.

Came up OK and boosted my confidence

Back with my lenses, the first thing was to mask off the black edges. In order not to sand them as well when bringing the 1000 grit wet and dry paper, which I decided to do dry.

With trepidation I sanded the lens in a straight pattern, rather than circular which in my screwup way would make sense too.

At this point I did panic a bit, thinking that I should maybe have gone the wet route or even up to 1500grit.

After wiping it all down I realised it was too late for tears.

Next up, the flannel sleeve off a pair of pink pyjamas and some G3 compound,

Rubbing, rubbing, rubbing.

Firstly just following the sanded groove, then breaking out to a circular motion and keeping on at it, three times, followed by a dry bi[uff, then one more pass with the compound just to ensure I had not missed anywhere.

Last thing was to grab some furniture polish after removing the masking ta-e to clean the black border.

And a photo in the snow.

Though the lenses seem to have chips away, there is actually no damage or chips, just an illusion of the light outside.

After this I came in and made dinner.

Chuffed to bits I took a chance on these tired lights.

Maybe fit them tomorrow after my 1:1 consultation interview at 11.30

Fingers crossed. I have a mortgage to pay .