The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
conoco

Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

I bought my 1972 gmc sierra grande and I was lucky enough that the entire truck is original. Nothing has been replaced ( I should say added that wasn't there originally, nobody has gutted the electrical to put in modern crap, or just the typical stuff you see on these trucks. Everyone wants to make them modern and ends up botching it or only completing half of it.
I am at a point where I need to decide if I want to start replacing all the original stuff with new stuff like ( Side moldings, paint etc...) or scrapping the moldings and everything else, solid paint scheme or keep it two tone and filling in some of the holes from the molding and making everything more stream line. Plus all the small stuff here and there.

I see alot of nice trucks out there that are gorgeous, but I can't help but be hesitant when it comes with replacing things with modern stuff, or turning my truck into just another one you see around town that is half done. I rarely see all original trucks in our years, when I do see them I just awe at them. Not because they look any better, but just because it's 50 years old and I guess there is a certain nostalgia that you can't help but feel from that era.

Just looking for pros and cons of going either route. Keeping the look how it came off the floor ( Which is way more expensive) or putting a modern touch on it. I love the look of a well done clean looking truck that has some comforts. But I am perfectly ok with the roughness of the stock ride and look.

The only thing that isn't stock is the Gear Vendors kit I have for my th350 ( Which is the best purchase I ever made) and the lift kit, which is really only new and larger springs. Everything else is original. Just looking for thoughts on anyone that has struggled with the same thought and what route you ended up going. Are you happy you went that route? do you regret it? Thanks,

Truck Specs
1972 k2500 sierra grande
350 turned into a 383
Eaton rear end with 4.11s
Gear vendors OD kit / TH350
4 inch lift on 35s
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

That 383, gear vendors, lift, and tall tires pretty much kills the "original" thing for me. You've got a Frankentruck.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
Bones72Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I bought my 1972 gmc sierra grande and I was lucky enough that the entire truck is original. Nothing has been replaced ( I should say added that wasn't there originally, nobody has gutted the electrical to put in modern crap, or just the typical stuff you see on these trucks. Everyone wants to make them modern and ends up botching it or only completing half of it.
I am at a point where I need to decide if I want to start replacing all the original stuff with new stuff like ( Side moldings, paint etc...) or scrapping the moldings and everything else, solid paint scheme or keep it two tone and filling in some of the holes from the molding and making everything more stream line. Plus all the small stuff here and there.

I see alot of nice trucks out there that are gorgeous, but I can't help but be hesitant when it comes with replacing things with modern stuff, or turning my truck into just another one you see around town that is half done. I rarely see all original trucks in our years, when I do see them I just awe at them. Not because they look any better, but just because it's 50 years old and I guess there is a certain nostalgia that you can't help but feel from that era.

Just looking for pros and cons of going either route. Keeping the look how it came off the floor ( Which is way more expensive) or putting a modern touch on it. I love the look of a well done clean looking truck that has some comforts. But I am perfectly ok with the roughness of the stock ride and look.

The only thing that isn't stock is the Gear Vendors kit I have for my th350 ( Which is the best purchase I ever made) and the lift kit, which is really only new and larger springs. Everything else is original. Just looking for thoughts on anyone that has struggled with the same thought and what route you ended up going. Are you happy you went that route? do you regret it? Thanks,

Truck Specs
1972 k2500 sierra grande
350 turned into a 383
Eaton rear end with 4.11s
Gear vendors OD kit / TH350
4 inch lift on 35s
Post up some pictures so we can all have a gander at your truck. I vote for oem trim stays on and keeping original paint if possible. Too many trucks get the "modern touch" that looks great in the rendering but looks out of place in real life. It's only original once
Old 02-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
Davidf

Make it yours. Originality is less important than muscle cars due to documentation 9or lack thereof). I like original with improvements...a sleeper if you will. I plan on dropping in an LS in tHe near future for rock solid reliability and drivability. Safety upgrades just make plan sense...brakes, seat belts are top of the list.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
That 383, gear vendors, lift, and tall tires pretty much kills the "original" thing for me. You've got a Frankentruck.
You think adding springs, tires and overdrive is a franken truck? I guess my definition of a franken truck would be much much different. Different block, different rear end, have to pull every part to make sure you are ordering for a 72 and not a 89 because someone replaced the rear end and gears!! To each there own I suppose. Thanks for the input though and suggestion though...oh wait LMAO!!
Old 02-17-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones72Super View Post
Post up some pictures so we can all have a gander at your truck. I vote for oem trim stays on and keeping original paint if possible. Too many trucks get the "modern touch" that looks great in the rendering but looks out of place in real life. It's only original once
I couldn't agree more. I love some of the modern touches that people do. It looks good if done right. I just really appreciate the stock look a lot more. I don't like the color of my truck though, but even that I am hesitate to change. I just don't want to start changing stuff and regret it.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
Bones72Super

Nice truck! There are lots of threads on removing surface rust while not removing original paint. A little time and some elbow grease will make it look multitudes better along with some decent oem trim. Ochre is one of those love or hate colors.......I love it. You'd be surprised how good that Ochre paint will come back to life. Interior pics please?
Old 02-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
conoco

Quote:
Nice truck! There are lots of threads on removing surface rust while not removing original paint. A little time and some elbow grease will make it look multitudes better along with some decent oem trim. Ochre is one of those love or hate colors.......I love it. You'd be surprised how good that Ochre paint will come back to life. Interior pics please?
I agree, the color has grown on me a little bit but Not much LOL. I think I would like it a lot more if the paint looked new and the trim was back on. Interior is is great shape though.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
Fbks_Cruiser

Quote:
I agree. When I got my GMC it was missing a bunch of trim. Shortly after I found someone on this board parting out and found good driver quality trim to replace the pieces that were missing. It made a world of difference.
A CLR bath will also help a lot with the surface rust. You will be amazed. (Athough I know you drive in the winter and have to deal with salty roads, not so much a problem up here.)
I am partial to the OEM look as it was born but updating mechanicals as you see fit (HEI, gear vendor, headlight relays, updated alternator, suspension, etc) all those things that make driving more enjoyable and reliable but keep the original look.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:37 PM   #10
underliner6

I like the look of original even if the truck is lifted with larger tires. You are right, it adds to the nostalgia feel.

1972 K20 Cheyenne- 350/350/205
1972 K20 Cheyenne - 350/SM465/205
underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #11
Mapearso

great looking truck. it's only original once. clean it up with some CLR, slap some of the trim back on and then don't change another thing

just my .02

1972 C10 SWB 454/400 Cheyenne Super Project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=Project+KISS
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #12
SkidmoreGarage

It's only original once. Any debate on purity won't resolve the real issue, which is whether the owner is happy. No need to beat anyone up for what they do with their money and their best judgement.

The truth is that these trucks, as great as they are, were designed and engineered to a budget. If the engineers came back from the dead, they would be upgrading and modifying along with everyone else.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:16 AM   #13
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Love the stance of your truck. Definitely not a frankentruck. I vote for fixing any major rust, matching/touching up necessary paint on any panels replaced(rockers, cab corners etc) replace missing trim, clr bath, good buff job etc. touch up paint that matches can be mixed at most auto paint stores.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:37 AM   #14
3757chevy

It's your truck Enjoy it .
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:45 AM   #15
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
great looking truck. it's only original once. clean it up with some CLR, slap some of the trim back on and then don't change another thing

just my .02
/\ this
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #16
Chevyland

And, post a pic of the spid
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:57 AM   #17
Accelo

Ocher is one of the colors that doesn't age well. Like the greens.
I think is is a great when new.
I like them stock and it's a lot less expensive because the parts fit.
If it was mine I would update the paint and trim with stock trim and call it good. Of course here that would be between 7K and 15K if you can even get someone to do a complete paint job. Changing the color adds a lot to the price.
cheers
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:31 AM   #18
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Although I don't know that I would call it a Frankentruck, it seems to me you are asking your question a little after the fact. Your truck is already not original.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #19
ChevyGuyNC

Another vote for keeping it original... I just got a 72 Cheyenne Super that's all original, and that's the way she'll stay.
ChevyGuyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #20
BigBird05

If its a daily driver then make it your own. Add all of the touches that you want. I don't care what other people think because its mine! If you are going to take it shows you might want to leave it alone. A truck can only be "original" once. My truck is a restomod. That means I can modify it anyway I want.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #21
custom10nut

Don’t give in to the “Gotta make it modern” pressure!
As a few have suggested, you can get the trim that you’re missing, in Good used condition, and then clean/polish it all to match.
Though it’s taking me a long time to “finish” (as if it’s ever gonna be finished) my truck, it is about 95% original.
I’m of the opinion that to “Restore” an older vehicle, original factory sheet metal, trim, and accessories should be used.
Taking an old vehicle and replacing “everything Old” with new “Repop” stuff takes away from the claim of “Original”.
It’s your truck, and you can do what you want with it, but don’t put yourself in a position where you one day say “I wish I kept it original”.
My two cents
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #22
conoco

So much good stuff on here. I appreciate everyone's input. Wasn't expecting all the good advice.

I ordered my inner and out rockers and they will be here this week, I'll post how everything goes. The color still makes me cringe lol, But I will probably just keep it the same and just get it re-done. Thanks again.

Its tough in Alaska to try to find used trim or anything used for these trucks. I wish we had a classic car lot like some of the other states. The need just is not there. I end up having to buy everything new, Which is fine. I am fortunate that my truck still has all the Sierra Grade badges!!! They are 100 a piece! Crazy. It is my daily driver which is why I added the gear vendors add on. I understand people feeling that some of the stuff doesn't make it original. I should have been more specific and said I was looking to keep the look original ( Well as much as possible) but for me there is no need to get crazy with the upgrades. I don't want to change things permanently with certain upgrades.

Like I said before there are some beautiful trucks out there with modern touches put on and I'm sure the ride is amazing. After seeing everyone's thoughts its a much easier decision for me. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #23
MAC71Cheyenne

As an old Fuddyduddy...fine as it is.
Someone removed all the side trim on mine and filled the holes. It's ok but at some point it is going to be replaced. Makes me cringe to think it all got tossed in the trash, especially checking the cost to replace it all.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #24
Bones72Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
And, post a pic of the spid
Please post a pic of the SPID we all love to see what factory options where selected and that can sometimes tell a story in itself.

Ochre panels in good condition are more common than other colors in my searching. Getting a good condition/good paint driver fender may take a bit to find but they are out there. Seems to me Ochre survives better than most.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #25
72c20customcamper

There are two types of original . One is factory paint and trim correct period engine the other is restored to original specs . My 68 will be restored to factory specs but remember anything done varying from stock can be undone .

My Chevelle is far from factory stock but I can put it back to stock in a few days . Kept all the stock original parts including the numbers matching block
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote