The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #26
sick472

Re: Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

As said...your project - your wishes.

My opinion is to keep a project one of three ways...

1.) All original or as much as possible. You gotta respect those with the patience for such a build.

2.) Resto mod with mostly original looks and a some twists here and there.

3.) Complete custom where most wonder what you started with.

The ones that I have trouble with are the projects that only go half way between mostly original and totally custom with regards to looks. They look like they don't belong closely to either group.

Nostalgia-wise, If a truck model came out of the factory without any trim and one removes all the trim from their project...no harm done. The nostalgic look is still there. It's when one kills the nostalgic look by changing something that was never common (stock or aftermarket). ei. Chopping the top of an otherwise stock looking truck. By going that route, a person needs to do many more custom mods to "bring it home" IMO.

Just my preferences. I can really appreciate anything one does with their project out of respect for their taste and efforts put into the build.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #27
67C10Step

At the end of the day it is your truck and you follow what you like and want. Some are sticklers for 100% stock but I am taking a slightly different route on mine. Since it's a 67 and I like the lower stance I did a static drop and converted to power disc/drum brakes. That isn't too far off from standard equipment but will make the truck much more drivable.

I'm going to rock the patina look for a while as I want to drive it a bit and enjoy it some before I dive back in for a paint job. I know that will put it back off the road for a considerable amount of time. Mine was purchased having not ran in 12-13 years and I've been working on it two years come this May. It is close to road worthy now minus a bed.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
i82much

I like old cars and old trucks, and I like my old cars and old trucks to look, feel, smell, and sound like old cars and trucks. But I'm not hung up on originality, I think a 383 powered truck with a 4 inch lift and a gear vendors sounds pretty sweet - I have a 72 K10 longbed with a 396 and a 2.5 inch skyjacker lift, TH350.

I'm not personally into lowered trucks, big wheels, LS swaps, etc. I like carburetors and distributors and 14-16 inch wheels. But a mild brake upgrade, an overdrive, a bigger engine, maybe a holley, intake, and headers? That's totally old car/truck stuff as far as I am concerned.

I guess you just have to ask yourself what the "sweet spot" is for you? You can build a super sweet truck with a 6.0 LS, six speed automatic, 20 inch wheels, get decent fuel economy, reliability, easy starting, etc. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but hey it ain't my truck!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #29
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Wink Re: Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

I've tried to stay original myself but there are a few things that I drifted on, without a second thought (well other than the 134a A/C conversion).
  1. I'm keeping the buddy seats that the previous owner put in and the Rally's too LOL.
  2. Points for electronic distributor, though it does look mostly stock (not a HEI distributor).
  3. My brother tried to keep the A/C original but it was cheaper just switch to R134a (I'm still sad about this but its done). But I guess my 350 is happier with the new compressor...
  4. Light bulbs to LED. I want to see and people to see me at night. I'd say this is my worse offender.
  5. Lap belts for shoulder belts.
  6. External windshield washer pump
  7. Cowl Screen
  8. Radio, though it kind of looks stock especially when I flip the digital display to analog.

I think that is all that has been changed from when it came from the factory or at least what was possible to have come from factory. I'm not counting the Side Mount tire, glovebox light/lock add-ons :-)

Personally, it is what you are comfortable doing to your truck and does it make you happy and all smiley ;-)

This guy gives me and anyone around me smiles!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #30
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
There are two types of original . One is factory paint and trim correct period engine the other is restored to original specs . My 68 will be restored to factory specs but remember anything done varying from stock can be undone .

My Chevelle is far from factory stock but I can put it back to stock in a few days . Kept all the stock original parts including the numbers matching block
Couldn't agree more. Anything I change I would like to be able to un-change without damaging or modifying anything. My truck has rockers that are rusted out in the middle of them, easy fix. The surface rust on the body can be fixed no problem. I am going to have it repainted with the same color and the same theme I think, The trim is a little spendy but i am glad that 3/4 of it is still there so I know which type to buy. Thanks again for the response.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #31
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
And, post a pic of the spid
I really really wish I had the SPID. Its the only thing that didn't survive. Only the top portion is left in the glove box. Looks like it rubbed away over the years. Its funny because the 4x4 instruction sticker is still in great shape, and also above the driver side visor there is a sticker that goes through the cold starting operations, it was a surprise to see it when I first got my truck. Both of those stickers are exposed to the elements so it really sucks that the SPID is rubbed away. I know there is guys on here that can make them, but I have know idea where to begin to make sure it had everything the original had on it. Is there a way to find out what options a specific truck came with?

I bought my truck from a 80+ year old man who was the original owner. All he used the truck for was to haul his racecar that sat in his trailer to the race track. He is also the one that did the engine rebuild. He had most of the receipts for that, its hard to trust people now days but he was a super cool guy. I wish I had half of his knowledge when it came to working on these things. You could tell he just couldn't do it anymore. His garage was amazing all kinds of old stuff in there.

His only request was that i didn't butcher it and if I did do it after he die LMAO! he had alot of good memories in that truck, I looked at my watch after I bought it and realized I had been there for 4 hours talking to him after I gave him the money!!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #32
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I've tried to stay original myself but there are a few things that I drifted on, without a second thought (well other than the 134a A/C conversion).
  1. I'm keeping the buddy seats that the previous owner put in and the Rally's too LOL.
  2. Points for electronic distributor, though it does look mostly stock (not a HEI distributor).
  3. My brother tried to keep the A/C original but it was cheaper just switch to R134a (I'm still sad about this but its done). But I guess my 350 is happier with the new compressor...
  4. Light bulbs to LED. I want to see and people to see me at night. I'd say this is my worse offender.
  7. Cowl Screen
  8. Radio, though it kind of looks stock especially when I flip the digital display to analog.

I think that is all that has been changed from when it came from the factory or at least what was possible to have come from factory. I'm not counting the Side Mount tire, glovebox light/lock add-ons :-)

Personally, it is what you are comfortable doing to your truck and does it make you happy and all smiley ;-)

That's beautiful!!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #33
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thank you conoco, your truck is Fab too. I have never had a bad time working on my truck and I have spent hours on it. In the end, if you are not having a good time - what's the point?

You can see more photos in the March 2021 ToTM. Shameless plug to think about voting for my... err... I mean your favorite truck submissions LOL

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 02-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #34
cj847

I like the look of your truck. For my money, I like a mild (emphasis on mild) restomod which is basically what you have. It looks like a 72 but has a few modern touches that make it more reliable and hopefully safer.

Look to the past for some answers as well. Think about these past popular "trends" and what you think they are worth today on a 67-72:
-chopped top
-shaved door handles with door poppers
-tube grills
-electric windows and locks
-etc

I am kind of anal about this stuff, I like C10s of- 64-66 and 71-72 specifically for how they look stock. I currently have a 71 because i didn't want to have the look of a 67-70 or the hassle of adding disk brakes.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #35
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
It's your truck Enjoy it .
I think if it's really in pristine condition and would only take a few original parts to restore it to original, then I might be tempted to go that route.

If, like mine, it had an aftermarket paint job already, I went and added whatever I wanted and never looked back.

Also if it was in need of some serious TLC and $$$ to bring it to original specs. then I would have taken the same route that I did.

JMO.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #36
mr48chev

The truck isn't "original" now, add to that for the life of me I have no clue as to why saving crappy old worn out paint with rust showing through is "keeping the truck original" rather than repainting it back the same factory colors and doing it up right.

But then I guess there are some on here who believe that If I fill in the 54 different holes that my uncle drilled in my 71 to put different things on it and repaired the dents in it I would be ruining the "original paint".

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #37

Conoco....it’s YOUR TRUCK, so do what u like. You won’t and can’t make everyone happy so, ..make yourself happy. I personally don’t see anything wrong with what your have done. That 383 will make easier work of those 35 in tires. Od unit will help make the drivetrain last longer. From the post u have made, u don’t lean on the radical side of things like a chop top so make the truck safer and better for you and n turn it will last longer and be more fun all the while. Led lights, disc brakes, shoulder belts and the like are all better and that is just some small things that u will enjoy. For u and where u live, heated seats would b a priority n my book. As u have seen, this board has a lot of views and most don’t seem to mind what u have done and the road you taken to make it yours, so u must b doing something right.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:00 AM   #38
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Great truck! Unless it's super rare (and being a 4x4 GMC Sierra Grande it is somewhat low production) I like keeping the stock look while upgrading the internals, brakes, engine, electrical etc. Fix the rust, paint it whatever stock color combo you like and put new trim on it (OEM or NOS if you can afford it).
The factory style of the 67-72's is timelessly beautiful.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #39
j_cst_10

My personal taste in all of the vehicles I own falls in the "make it how they should have" category.

This is personal taste obviously. I like original appearing vehicles with modern mechanical updates.

Everything I own appears stock inside and out but has drivetrain modifications. Just the way I like my vehicles.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #40
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Do you know which plant your truck was built at? If Canadian built, there’s a chance you may be able to get the build info from GM Canada. If your not sure and don’t mind posting up your vin I can tell you.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #41
NGN

I like the stock look and making repairs and maintenance with hopefully close to original parts and or at least U.S.A. made would be nice too, NOS would be nice but I got other bills to pay. My truck was built a plane jane 67 short three on the tree straight six drum brakes no power anything six lug, a simple good looking work truck . I did add comforts that came in these trucks stock, yes nothing is original now but I like the original looking as possible. I'm lucky to have a garage with enough tools and friends and this form to get me by. With that said my truck over time has been changed with parts from a 72 to make my truck a five lug power disc brakes automatic along with power steering tilt wheel and sway bar, replacing all suspension parts, springs shocks brake lines all clean sand blasted painted. Not original to my 67 of course but nice features without going to far out of the original look. I'm now working on a rebuilt 67 327 motor already in the truck also making it look as original as I can cause I like that to that's just me. Oh and I'm riding on the truck rally wheels. These 67-72 trucks??? Well I never see a bad one, OK maybe one or two lol but there's no doubt there's no limit to people's talents out there. Fix it to your time and budget your way, its a cool truck already.

Last edited by NGN; 02-20-2021 at 11:48 AM.
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #42
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
  7. Cowl Screen

That's a beautiful truck!!

Mine was already converted to 134A, and I am thinking to swap the points out for electronic. Not sure about LED's... Yes for illumination, but just more obviously not original. I also want to eventually get the tank out of the cab and under the bed but I don't want a bed fil or tail light / side marker light fill. Seen videos about using 69 F Body tanks and fill behind the license plate. That appeals because it's not obvious, and also the flip down plate was common back in the day.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #43
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thanks @ChevyGuyNC!

I do have a wee bit of regret on the LEDs because of being not being original. During the day it can hardy be noticed. But there is so much more illumination and less strain on the power system I am also happy that I did it. I just wished they were not so "dotty" and more like the LEDs that were on my 2017 GT Mustang that "flowed" evenly. But there are only LED "dots". The headlights that I got look very stock-ish but they cost me a pretty penny.

I too want to have my tank moved, just so I'll have extra room behind the seat. Though this is not a project I would tackle myself. I saw one posting here on the forms where the full came from the original cap location. I would want that or like you listed from the license plate. A fill location from the ded or even a bedside full would be a non-starter for me.

Edit:
I also want OD but then I'll have to change my 3.07 rear end (or I am pretty sure I have a 3.07 rear end).
And... Alternator without external regulator / Starter power re-wire. I have a M.A.D kit for this for when I am ever ready to do this. I already have relays for the headlights installed :-)

Last edited by Rich72C10; 02-20-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #44
72c20customcamper

Any deviation for safety dont count as modified in my opinion . My chevelle came with a single line master and drum brakes not even a booster . Lots were made this way and changed like mine to 4 wheel disc and the judges dont take off points .
I put a modern master and new larger disc on my Avanti even though it came with disc it had a single line master. Never been hit with deduction when showing the car even at thr Hershey AACA meet
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #45
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
You think adding springs, tires and overdrive is a franken truck?
Yes, with a punched out engine that is not stock. Glad you appreciate opinions that are not your own, especially since we are on a public forum. Have a nice day.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #46
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Make it yours. Originality is less important than muscle cars due to documentation 9or lack thereof). I like original with improvements...a sleeper if you will. I plan on dropping in an LS in tHe near future for rock solid reliability and drivability. Safety upgrades just make plan sense...brakes, seat belts are top of the list.
THIS. make it yours.
Are you in the hobby to enjoy driving ,using the truck or an investment banker more worried about it's value that will depend on who happens to be in the room when it is forsale and what they happen to like and many seem to like the updated older vehicles.
I like to drive mine. and I like my music. The mono 1 dash speaker is not going to cut it. Nor are the dim tail lights.
I own my truck for me, so what others think don't matter to me. They are not driving it. If they want a bone stock truck ,they can have that. I choose to make mine more fun to drive, As I am more likely to drive it if I enjoy it, over it being a chore to drive. but This is what I like. what you like is all that matters build it for you, not someone else. If they don't like it that is their problem.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #47
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Yes, with a punched out engine that is not stock. Glad you appreciate opinions that are not your own, especially since we are on a public forum. Have a nice day.
so you have a ridiculous idea of what a “frankentruck” is and now you’re cranky that others don’t adopt your definition.

the OP’s truck isn’t even close to a frankentruck and we all know it. but some people like to pipe up on the internet because it’s a safe place to get away with being a toolbag. enjoy your mommy’s basement, hope she bakes you some cookies!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #48
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Y'all act right and reread the site guidelines and rules. Thanks
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:10 PM   #49
saxart

This is my '70 C-10 the day I bought it from the original owner. He owned it for 48 years, used it on the farm in N. Dakota, then moved here and 20 years later sold it to me. It barely ran. NONE of the lights worked (mice). The alternator didn't charge, and the only brake that worked was the right front, and that was only when you gave it a HARD double pump, but it made it the 3 miles to my house and it was in it's original paint!

Here it is a year and a half later with the original owner:

It got a low HP crate engine, HEI distributor, all new (drum) brakes, power brake booster, power steering, new rear wire harness, radiator, rebuilt seat, rebuilt steering column, the entire front end was rebuilt, the entire rear (coil) suspension was rebuilt, new radiator (with electric fans from a Ford Windstar), CS130 alternator, rebuilt driveshaft, new exhaust, 8" wide rims with chrome caps, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I did everything possible to update the truck, yet keep it an "original" specimen, but it's my truck and I did what I thought was right to preserve it's history. The point here is that this is YOUR truck and you should feel comfortable to do whatever you want!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:50 AM   #50
jarrodblake

To me it depends on your plans for the truck, Do you plan on keeping it for yourself or do you plan on selling, If your building it to keep for yourself then do whatever you want with it make it your own. But your building it to sell one day then OEM + is not a bad way to go.
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote