The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
twoskies

RetroSound Radio

Hello
1972 C10
bought a retrosound radio to replace my original am/fm radio, original radio worked but low output or sound, anything over 30 mph and you couldnt hear it
probably get the oem radio rebuilt at some time

RetroSound Radio was very easy to install, hardest part was setting the adjustment for the knobs, several times in and back out
Little sidenote, The people at Crutchfield who i ordered the radio through, were great to deal with

Works very well, sound is great, bluetooth is nice

Looks ok, but with the faceplate, you kinda lose the oem look

Has anyone painted or coated the plastic faceplate to match the dash color

Any pictures would be helpful

as much as i like the retrosound, when i get the oem repaired, ill probably change it back

Thanks for Replies
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
Peanut74

Re: RetroSound Radio

I bought a RetroSound radio but haven't installed it yet. I did do a test fit and based on the fit my plan is to leave the faceplate off. I did have to repair the dash because it was cut up for a 2 din radio.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
LS short box

Not to be a negative nelly but my Retro Sound worked almost 2 years before it just quit. I called Retro and since it was out of warranty they said too bad so sad nothing we can do.
Also be sure what the radio restorer is using inside your original radio. It could be Retro Sound or Custom Auto Sound guts.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 PM   #4
dagnabbitt

I put one in my square, I really like it. I bought the cheapest version they had (Laguna?) and it suits me fine. I hooked up my Sirius radio to it and its all good.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
lux

Mine is a Retrosound Hermosa.
I put the front plate behind the dash,
Attached Images

lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
jimijam00

^ that looks good
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
twoskies

Thanks Everyone

Lux, if i understand , you used the faceplate but behind the dash as a support and used the plastic round washers in front
Old 02-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
jessemthompson

I had a retrosound radio and from day 1 it was a piece of trash. I would turn the volume up and the radio would cut in and out. I finally ended up trashing it and put a Bluetooth kenwood amp in the truck. Now I listen to music from my phone through the truck. On top of the sound issues with the retro, it was plastic and looked cheap. Obviously manufactured overseas. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoskies View Post
Thanks Everyone

Lux, if i understand , you used the faceplate but behind the dash as a support and used the plastic round washers in front
Yes, thats correct. The face plate fills that gap around the rectangle face. Then you have to figure out the plastic washers for the knobs. I can't remember exactly what i did there but, I think I may have added some spacer washers behind the dash as well.
Sorry about the bad luck some people have had with retrosound units, Mine has been rock solid so far.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I went back and forth on radios or having my AM retrofitted. In the end I went with CustomSound's Slider Radio with the Bluetooth add-on module. It works great and pushes the CustomSound's dash speakers and the kick panels just fine. If I had room, I would 100% install a small/medium woofer. The good thing is I can go that route when I can - it has low level RCAs for Front/Rear and a Sub out for growth.

I went with the slider because it looks stock-ish and I more or less keep the like you see it in my photo. I can flip the slider to the LCD screen for all the settings or to see what is player/radio station. Will it hold up overtime? No idea.

As for RetroSound, my source said they had a real bad start and their beginning line is what came from Custom Sound (some odd buy out or some such). This came from the guy that I was thinking of having my AM retrofitted but also sold Custom Sound (which he stood by what he re-sold).
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
xs-cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I put one in my square, I really like it. I bought the cheapest version they had (Laguna?) and it suits me fine. I hooked up my Sirius radio to it and its all good.
I’m in Edmonton too , I’d like to see it if possible, I’m thinking of buying the same one from LMC
xs-cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
tim71

I purchased the low end RetroSound and have been very pleased with it. I knew my speakers weren't going to be great, so I was looking for a radio that just sounded decent. My truck has a mostly stock appearance and I put my speakers under the seat, out of sight. I haven't had any issues with the RetroSound radio, but it doesn't played much either.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #13
MikeB

My RetroSound. Doesn't look as nice as Richard's or Lux's. All I need now is to repaint the dash!
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
twoskies

Thanks for all the responses

Im going to take it back out and go with the faceplate behind the dash and i see to flush the radio with the opening, looks more like what i want

Thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #15
MARKDTN

I have not heard anything nice about Retrosound. I would look into having an Aurora conversion done to an original radio. It's about $400. You get AM/FM, Bluetooth, and an Aux if wanted. New guts in an old radio. My uncle had one done in a VW Bug and it sounds great.

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-de...o-dealers.html
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I went back and forth on radios or having my AM retrofitted. In the end I went with CustomSound's Slider Radio with the Bluetooth add-on module. It works great and pushes the CustomSound's dash speakers and the kick panels just fine. If I had room, I would 100% install a small/medium woofer. The good thing is I can go that route when I can - it has low level RCAs for Front/Rear and a Sub out for growth.

I went with the slider because it looks stock-ish and I more or less keep the like you see it in my photo. I can flip the slider to the LCD screen for all the settings or to see what is player/radio station. Will it hold up overtime? No idea.

As for RetroSound, my source said they had a real bad start and their beginning line is what came from Custom Sound (some odd buy out or some such). This came from the guy that I was thinking of having my AM retrofitted but also sold Custom Sound (which he stood by what he re-sold).
That's the one I want to get as well... once I'm out of "You can't spend any more money on that truck!" jail....
Old 02-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
twoskies

Got it

put the plate behind the dash, settled right in, looks alot better

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #18
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:

Is that a CB mic clip I see near bottom right?
Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #19
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Got it

Thanks
I agree, that does look a lot better, nice job - pulling out the radio and putting it back in is not what I'll call a fun job. Well, you don't have A/C so the job is a bit easier for you ;-)

For the record, this is what the radio looks like with the digital display - the green matches up nicely to the dash at night. The radio will display the station's genre / song playing (if the station provides it). When connected to a iPhone it shows song information but with BT it only says "Bluetooth" - no metadata. But the hands free calls are nice and I can sent text / hear texts by asking Siri (when connect via BT).
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 02-28-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #20
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC View Post
Is that a CB mic clip I see near bottom right?
You are correct sir, that came with the truck and seeing I don't want holes with nothing in them, the clip stays. Though it would be interesting to get a CB LOL!

Old 02-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #21
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
You are correct sir, that came with the truck and seeing I don't want holes with nothing in them, the clip stays. Though it would be interesting to get a CB LOL!
Definitely! You can find an old early 70's 23 channel on eBay... There's a thread about CB's in these trucks and I was surprised how many had them...
Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #22
lux

Quote:
Got it

Thanks
Much better looking. It would be nice if retrosound would include some instructions on that.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #23
twoskies

I Agree Lux

the instructions could show a couple options for mounting, it would make it alot easier

Thank You and to all that responded Thank's
Old 02-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #24
scf100

Just had the Retrosound installed and works great love the Bluetooth
Attached Images

1972 C-10 Extended Cab 350 SBC
scf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #25
MikeB

Someone mentioned Retrosound instructions above. I have to say they were not very helpful and it took me hours to determine how to best mount the radio. I probably installed 10-12 aftermarket stereos in the 70s-80s in everything from a Dodge van to an Audi Coupe to an RX7. All those were very straightforward installations compared to the Retrosound.

I'd love to have one of those old Clarion or Sony shaft radios. I still remember the good ones with PLL tuners (phase-locked loop) that would lock in an FM stereo station and hold onto it even if I turned the knob a little bit each way. My best one was an early 80s Clarion with a digital display(!) that had only a pre-amp, so the chassis was very shallow. I connected it to discrete front and rear main amps.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 03-01-2021 at 12:03 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote