The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #26
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: My Dad's 1970 CST/10 Comes Home With Me

Thank you all for the kind words and wonderful stories of your own trucks!

A bit more info on this rig. My Dad also gave me an envelope with all the original documentation from the original owner. It has the original owners manual and warranty card with the intact Protect-O-Plate still there. All still in the original plastic protective sleeve from the factory. The original bill of sale from 07 July 1970, and vehicle order form and trade in paper work from Dick Balch Chevrolet in Lacey, WA. (for some interesting reading look up Dick Balch Chevrolet on Google and Youtube!)

Also the original build sheet From the Fremont, CA plant. The original owner paid just over $4,100 dollars with all the options.

The original owner was a drag racer and had a Willys gasser that he raced. But he raced in a class where they raced the car, and then the next heat they raced the push truck for a combined ET. So the truck was outfitted with a T-10 4 speed and the 350 was warmed up pretty hot. The original owner sold it after only a couple years and it bounced around the Pierce and Thurston County area for a few years with different owners who didn't change much on the truck at all. Dad was the 4th owner in only 6 years as he bought it in January of 1976.

The truck had 5 lug ET slots on it that were bolted on with 6 lug to 5 lug adapters. After some time the adapters became pretty loose and unsafe, so Dad took off the 5 lug slots and bought new 6 lug Western Wheel slots at Tiny's Tires in Tacoma, WA. He kept the 5 lug ET slots and they finally ended up on my 1972 GMC.

Dad street raced the truck in Tacoma back in the late 70's and early 80's. But family time took over and it turned in to a family hauler with 3 kids and a wife. But Dad never detuned it and always kept it "race ready". There were a lot of times that truck surprised some pretty fast cars with "Just a little Small Block Chevy." as he would always say.

At times we rode with the whole family in the cab of that truck during winter. Dad driving, me next to him with the Hurst shifter between my knees, then my brother, then my mom on the passenger side with my sister on her lap. Can't do that nowadays! In summer, my brother and I always rode in the back, no matter where we were going. When I got older I was able to take it to Prom and Homecoming.

I learned how to work on SBC's and rebuilt my first manual transmission (That T-10) with my Dad when I was 14. We also cut the dashboard to install a stereo in it back in the 80's. Sacrilegious now, but back then they truck was barely 15 years old and you just did those kind of things.

Anyways... I have so many more stories with that truck i could go on forever. I'm so glad to read that some of you were able to get a rig from your Dad, Grampa, Uncle, etc. They are timeless treasures, and it's always cool to see them handed down through generations.

Thanks you'se guys!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #27
allchevy58

Great stories, I have my grandmothers 58' Impala and my dad 76' K10 they both bought new. Lots of memories there.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:58 AM   #28
FRCvette

Cool truck and even cooler story. Congradulations to you both.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #29
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Try to keep this one out of the ditch!!!!
This would have been coffee out the nose if I had read it 5 seconds earlier.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #30
GeoTex2020

I'm not crying, you're crying. You're a blessed man, enjoy it for many more years!
GeoTex2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #31
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Try to keep this one out of the ditch!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
This would have been coffee out the nose if I had read it 5 seconds earlier.
Holy cats!

How did I miss that one!

Now that's funny!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote