The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Opinions on brakes and wheel combo

I'd like to make my chassis into a roller so I'm trying to solve my brake and wheel predicament hoping I can get some suggestions.

'69 2wd long bed with a 489 big block. Ive been working on it for 10 years or so now. When I was getting into it years ago I purchased a 13" Baer brake front kit that came with drop spindles 6 lug. After searching for wheels I found I couldn't find many 6 lug wheel combos that I liked, so when I ordered my new dana 60 rear end I had it built for a 5 lug wheel using Ford torino axle flanges. I have the front end suspension all connected. I called Baer and I can order new 5 lug hats for my rotors to turn the front into a lug assembly to match the back.

I would love to have a pair of truck rallye wheels on my truck, but with my rotors being 13" I need at least a 17" wheel. I couldn't find any trucks with this size rallye installed to see if it would look alright or not. Wheel Vinteques sells a 17x9 rallye for about $300 while a 15" rallye is about $100.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should just start over and purchase an 11" brake kit so I can utilize the 15" wheel (change brake brand to a much cheaper option) or if I should just keep going from where I left off at and purchase from Baer the rear brakes and front hats (to make them 5x5 like the back).

The 13" rear kit is $1600 plus about $800 to make the front 5x5 then the 17" rims and tires would be about $2000 vs. starting over and buying an 11" disc brake kit and 15" wheels would be at least half the cost I'd imagine.

I'm not going to race this truck or anything. Do I need the Baer kit for my application or would a smaller rotor be just as good? I'm also trying to figure out down the road when its time to replace brake pads and rotors if I get the Baer kit, it would be smart to purchase the same rotors again which is more money than an 11" oem style rotor.

Any words of advice or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has seen a 17" truck rallye on our truck let me know if they look good or not.

Thanks
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Myself

Re: Opinions on brakes and wheel combo

Don't be silly......of course they look good.

A few pics here--->https://line.17qq.com/articles/ijfjbdhejz.html
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
LT7A

My thought is that if you feel that you need the bigger brakes to stop safely, then the question is answered. Personally, I feel that stock sized disc brakes in good working order with high quality pads are just right for trucks. If you were going to take it on the track, or have big five spoke wheels so you could peekaboo with your brakes, maybe that's a different story for performance or visual. Also if you were going to a wheel and tire combination that was considerably taller than stock, bigger brakes help overcome the added leverage of the increased radius. A further consideration is weight. Larger diameter wheels with low profile tires can weigh significantly more which can translate into sluggish acceleration - caveat: probably not a problem with 489 fricking cubic inches pushing your truck :) If you want that distilled into an opinion, I'd be a bigger fan of smaller rallys and putting your Baer brake kit up for sale.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike C

The stock brake size works well, but you have spent the big money. Wheel and tire choices are personal, but 15's are just terrible anymore, my opinion. Can't run enough backspacing to make the front look good IMO. 17's one of the best mods I have done to my truck. Just suck it up and buy the more expensive wheels, you will never regret it.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

Appreciate all the feedback so far. I'll have to search through the link that was posted to find a truck with the wheels I was after.

I'm going to have to think about all the suggestions. The wheel price doesn't worry me so much, it's the look of the 17" rallyes on our trucks. Like I said I'll look through the link and see if I can find the wheels in that size. Someone has to have them on one of these trucks.

If I did decide to keep the fronts the way they are - I'd like to keep the rear brakes the same brand. I might have to call Baer Brakes and see if they have a cheaper version since $1600 is a bit steep for rear brakes. I couldn't find any on their site.

Or another option - I get rid of the front rotors and calipers and buy a cheaper version for all the way around. I'd just need something to adapt to my drop spindles which I couldn't imagine would be too difficult.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 AM   #6
CC69Rat

The problem really isnt 15" wheels and disc brakes. Its 15" wheels and dropped spindles. Then add big brakes ..

What I'm saying is you will still have issues with 15x8 " wheels, dropped spindles and 11" (stock'ish) brake setup.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
cj847

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/681240/10002/-1
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
....I would love to have a pair of truck rallye wheels on my truck, but with my rotors being 13" I need at least a 17" wheel. I couldn't find any trucks with this size rallye installed to see if it would look alright or not. Wheel Vinteques sells a 17x9 rallye for about $300 while a 15" rallye is about $100.

Any words of advice or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has seen a 17" truck rallye on our truck let me know if they look good or not.
Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback so far. I'll have to search through the link that was posted to find a truck with the wheels I was after.

I'm going to have to think about all the suggestions. The wheel price doesn't worry me so much, it's the look of the 17" rallyes on our trucks. Like I said I'll look through the link and see if I can find the wheels in that size. Someone has to have them on one of these trucks.

If I did decide to keep the fronts the way they are - I'd like to keep the rear brakes the same brand. I might have to call Baer Brakes and see if they have a cheaper version since $1600 is a bit steep for rear brakes. I couldn't find any on their site.

Or another option - I get rid of the front rotors and calipers and buy a cheaper version for all the way around. I'd just need something to adapt to my drop spindles which I couldn't imagine would be too difficult.
I quickly looked @ the link provided & saw C10's w/larger diameter 'car/vette' style ralley wheels but not the 'truck ralley' style.

Detroit Steel has larger diameter steel wheels that 'mimic' GM truck ralleys. They're available in 5 & 6 lug pattern but heavy. Minimum diameter is 18" I believe.

USMag Wheels also has a 'truck ralley' appearing wheel in larger diameters (17" & up). They're aluminum & pricey. Also available in 5 & 6 lug options...

https://us-mags.com/sierra-us706-6-lug-w-7843.htm
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-03-2021 at 05:08 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
I saw these too the other day. This is the look I'm going for. Im trying to decide if this size would look good on these trucks. If I went with 17" wheels would it be smarter just to keep my brake system as is and change it to 5 lug up front and buy their kit for the back? Or change to something cheaper?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
I saw these too the other day. This is the look I'm going for. Im trying to decide if this size would look good on these trucks. If I went with 17" wheels would it be smarter just to keep my brake system as is and change it to 5 lug up front and buy their kit for the back? Or change to something cheaper?
If that's what you are seeking, that's a car/vette style ralley wheel.
You want the car ralley in a truck bolt pattern which is different vs. a 'truck ralley wheel'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
CC69Rat

In no way assuming you dont jnow this, but just incase you dont or maybe it will help someone else.

The reason wheels become an issue with disc brake conversions and dropped spindles is not really the brakes so much as the dropped spindle. The 71-72 stock height trucks dont have a problem with stock disc setups and 15x8" rallies.. right?

So, think about it like this. Think of a circle that's 15" in Diameter. From one side across the center line of the circle. What's the center point? 7.5".

The dropped spindle doesnt move anything else in the suspension as far as geometry, steering linkage, even the alignment is the same as factory. That's why they ride so well, etc. The only thing that changes is the position of the center point in the diameter of the wheel. What that center "rides" on as it turns moves UP in the wheel arch of the fender, thus making the truck sit that much lower. 3" dropped spindle = 3in drop. The spindle moves up 3 full inches.

Now, what does that do for your wheel? The center point of your wheel and spindle used to be 7.5" right? .. now, its 4.5" The spindle took 3" of it.

Now, you have an issue with 15" wheels clearing the lower control arms, ball joints, and especially turning with a wider front wheel and a lot of backspacing it can contact the lower control arm. This is why 17" wheels are suggested/ recommended.

The issue with big brakes is of course wheel clearance but you still want to make sure the backspacing wheel diameter, etc all has to jive or it's not going to work out.

This is why you see a lot of guys running 20s. If you dont like 20s, I get it .. but if you want a lowered truck with big brakes you kinda need 17+ wheels minimum. It really just depends on the brake kit and specs for clearance. I'm not saying send your brake kit back or sell it .. just saying, I think I'd go with larger wheels and keep my big brake kit. Just me. Hope this helps.

Heres a picture of 15" wheels and dropped spindles. Not my truck, not my picture.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If that's what you are seeking, that's a car/vette style ralley wheel.
You want the car ralley in a truck bolt pattern which is different vs. a 'truck ralley wheel'.
Good catch! I should have been more clear with what I was after. I'd rather have the car ralley vs the truck ralley. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
In no way assuming you dont jnow this, but just incase you dont or maybe it will help someone else.

The reason wheels become an issue with disc brake conversions and dropped spindles is not really the brakes so much as the dropped spindle. The 71-72 stock height trucks dont have a problem with stock disc setups and 15x8" rallies.. right?

So, think about it like this. Think of a circle that's 15" in Diameter. From one side across the center line of the circle. What's the center point? 7.5".

The dropped spindle doesnt move anything else in the suspension as far as geometry, steering linkage, even the alignment is the same as factory. That's why they ride so well, etc. The only thing that changes is the position of the center point in the diameter of the wheel. What that center "rides" on as it turns moves UP in the wheel arch of the fender, thus making the truck sit that much lower. 3" dropped spindle = 3in drop. The spindle moves up 3 full inches.

Now, what does that do for your wheel? The center point of your wheel and spindle used to be 7.5" right? .. now, its 4.5" The spindle took 3" of it.

Now, you have an issue with 15" wheels clearing the lower control arms, ball joints, and especially turning with a wider front wheel and a lot of backspacing it can contact the lower control arm. This is why 17" wheels are suggested/ recommended.

The issue with big brakes is of course wheel clearance but you still want to make sure the backspacing wheel diameter, etc all has to jive or it's not going to work out.

This is why you see a lot of guys running 20s. If you dont like 20s, I get it .. but if you want a lowered truck with big brakes you kinda need 17+ wheels minimum. It really just depends on the brake kit and specs for clearance. I'm not saying send your brake kit back or sell it .. just saying, I think I'd go with larger wheels and keep my big brake kit. Just me. Hope this helps.

Heres a picture of 15" wheels and dropped spindles. Not my truck, not my picture.
Chad - appreciate the detailed explanation. I guess I never dug into that whole thing that much to fully understand the geometry of drop spindles.

I'm probably just gonna stick with what I was originally planning and just fork over the cash to finish my brake system in the back and purchase a larger wheel to make it all fit together. It looks like I'm too deep into it. Wouldn't make much sense to redo everything just for a 15" wheel.

Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 05-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #14
jimijam00

If that BBC has power and you plan on using it, do not fall for the "oem brakes are just fine" argument.

Quote:
Im trying to decide if this size would look good on these trucks.
They aren't for everyone I suppose.
Attached Images

jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:01 AM   #15
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
If that BBC has power and you plan on using it, do not fall for the "oem brakes are just fine" argument.

They aren't for everyone I suppose.
Whats the specs on these wheels??