The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #351
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Jeep Trailblazer SS

Very Nice!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #352
fear_nothing

Man that came out real nice. Wolf hiding in sheep's clothing
fear_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #353
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Nice work! Fun project to watch!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #354
67C10Step

Very nice! I love the projects that when I see them on the road my brain first says, "Nice!" and then a second later says, "Wait a minute, there's been some work done on that one." Subtle is often more work than brash but stays cool forever.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #355
KShortell

Wow!
Old 05-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #356
gottattooz

Well, no progress on the Jeep. I'm still collecting parts to swap the engine and three gear sets
But i did put her through the paces

A friend of mine posted a 1979 Jeep Cherokee chief wide track for sale. He gave me a friendship price that i couldn't pass up. That was Monday.

On Tuesday, dad and i found a gut selling a 1958 short wheel base Chevy panel truck. Included in the purchase was a 2002 Chevy suburban 2500 with a 6.0l, 4l80e, 14-bolt rear with hydroboost.

The toy box is officially full.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #357
Madkidd007

Josh will be on my **** list about this
,josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
Well, no progress on the Jeep. I'm still collecting parts to swap the engine and three gear sets
But i did put her through the paces

A friend of mine posted a 1979 Jeep Cherokee chief wide track for sale. He gave me a friendship price that i couldn't pass up. That was Monday.

On Tuesday, dad and i found a gut selling a 1958 short wheel base Chevy panel truck. Included in the purchase was a 2002 Chevy suburban 2500 with a 6.0l, 4l80e, 14-bolt rear with hydroboost.

The toy box is officially full.

-Josh
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #358
HAULIN' IT

Josh, Something I see there in your photos concern me & feel its best to mention it. That is, how far back you have those vehicles on the trailer. That is looking for trouble! When you are towing with something "under-sized" (as in, not a Suburban, 1 ton truck or bigger) compared to what you are towing...things can get hairy REAL quick. The problem is you can go along just fine & then you come across the wrong dip/ripple or wet road & the backend gets light & its real hard to "catch it". Especially without a weight distribution hitch set-up & sway bar, the placement needs to be carefully considered.
The old saying: "Tail wagging the dog" comes to mind. If you look at the photo of the panel truck...your Jeep backend is actually UP in the air due to the amount of weight behind the trailer axle. Just My Thoughts, Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #359
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

A full toy box is a good thing. I've always liked the Cherokee's!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #360
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Love the panel and the 2door Cherokee

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #361
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Josh, Something I see there in your photos concern me & feel its best to mention it. That is, how far back you have those vehicles on the trailer. That is looking for trouble! When you are towing with something "under-sized" (as in, not a Suburban, 1 ton truck or bigger) compared to what you are towing...things can get hairy REAL quick. The problem is you can go along just fine & then you come across the wrong dip/ripple or wet road & the backend gets light & its real hard to "catch it". Especially without a weight distribution hitch set-up & sway bar, the placement needs to be carefully considered.
The old saying: "Tail wagging the dog" comes to mind. If you look at the photo of the panel truck...your Jeep backend is actually UP in the air due to the amount of weight behind the trailer axle. Just My Thoughts, Lorne
Let me be that guy since I know how that jeep sits normally. It is not sitting high in the rear compared to normal. And do any of us know if that Carryall or jeep even have a drivetrain in them? Hmmmmm I wonder

Old 05-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #362
regan wilson

That Panel is friggin Cool.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:59 PM   #363
gottattooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Here's what it looked like when i first hooked up to the trailer. The Jeep has a full drive train. If i ran over a crack in the asphalt, the rear tires rubbed. The air suspension wouldn't go Any higher. I made it about a mile away before i pulled into a well lit parking lot. I rolled it back about a foot and Got 2 more inches of clearance. I also towed it home, across Atlanta around midnight at 45 mph. I can assure your i was in no hurry to jackknife and be on the news.

The panel truck is just a roller. I tried to center the load around the wheels. It took me 90 minutes to go 45 miles getting it home. We talked about towing it home with the suburban that came with it. We learned that it only had a hitch receiver attached to the bumper, not the frame. Plus is has 5 year old gasoline in the tank alpine with a bottle of seafoam and sta-bil. Dad said it felt like it Was running on 4 cylinders and it wouldn't have gotten out of the guy's yard with a loaded trailer.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 05-09-2021, 12:06 AM   #364
gottattooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
Josh will be on my **** list about this
,josh
Calm down, Josh. I'll make you a killer package deal on everything you need to make it a sweet ride.

I might even take your Saab as partial trade so i can cut it up for the panel truck swap.

- Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #365
67C10Step

Man, what a haul! Love the Cherokee and the '58 panel is beyond cool. Get the suburban running good enough to haul the others around and you got it covered. That panel though, I'd be hard pressed not to jump into it with both feet right off.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #366
gottattooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Man, what a haul! Love the Cherokee and the '58 panel is beyond cool. Get the suburban running good enough to haul the others around and you got it covered. That panel though, I'd be hard pressed not to jump into it with both feet right off.
Believe me. I'm drooling to get busy on the panel truck. But there's no room to move in the shop. The Cherokee and the suburban are currently outside the shop. My dad wants to throw a drive train in the panel "real quick" so he can drive it. I don't feel like doing the job twice. All in good time.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 05-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #367
Madkidd007

Look at her posing
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #368
gottattooz

So i have been collecting parts for the engine swap. I replaced the camshaft, lifters, lifter trays, timing chain and gears and a new melling oil pump. I installed an Ls2 timing cover and cam sensor. I'm at a stand still until i pull the engine because I'm using the Ls2 heads and oil pan. It's amazing how simple the ls engine is to build.

I love the hand written receipt from the guy i bought the cam kit from.

- Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 06-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #369
lunatic1968

awesome project man, subscribed.
lunatic1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:53 AM   #370
gottattooz

Well I'm back at it. I finally finished swapping dad's differential in his 59 pickup, so i can now use the 2-post lift to swap the engine and gear ratios in the Jeep. MadKidd warned me that you've got to remove the front suspension to remove the CV axles to pull the engine out of an awd trailblazer, so that's what i did. I gutted the front suspension, googled a video on how to remove the cv axles because they didn't want to come out. My plan is to pull the heads off in the engine compartment to make the bell housing bolts more easily accessible. I'm fighting with the front drive shaft to remove the left header and i remembered having to lift the body off the frame to install the right header. But I'm making progress.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 07-31-2021, 01:03 AM   #371
gottattooz

Just because, here's what we did with dad's 59 pickup. Swapped out a 1987 GTA 9 bolt rear end with a 3.27 gear for a Moser 9 inch setup with 3.55 gears. Installed with 4 link parallel bars, new sleeve type air bags with a leveling valve off a Kenworth and mounted the sway bar on top of the frame connecting to the 4 link bracket welded to the rear end housing.

The posi stopped working in the GTA rear. Dad found out that they use some kind of friction cones that wear out and aren't serviceable. Instead of buying a new setup from Australia for $1700 shipped, he is going to be in it for about $4k after buying new rear rims to clear the c5 corvette brakes on the Moser housing. But as you can see while running front brakes only, he's enjoying power braking up and down the driveway.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 08-01-2021, 02:41 AM   #372
gottattooz

I got the Ls2 out today. Had to mount the knock sensors to the back of the motor mount brackets and then installed the LQ4 with all new seals and gaskets. I'm not swapping gear set at this time. I found out the front differential is a 3.73 instead of a 3.42. So I'll swap that out when i source the parts later on. I broke a knock sensor plug trying to remove it, so I've got to wait until that gets here, but the swap wasn't horrible.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 08-02-2021, 01:01 AM   #373
gottattooz

I can't express enough how good it feels to have friends with knowledge. Josh (MadKidd) works at summit racing. I went there to pickup a torque wrench and a valve spring compressor. We were just catching up really when i mentioned an issue i noticed with the set of head bolts that came with my gasket kit. Turns out i had the wrong kit. I ordered a kit for the Ls2, not the LQ4. Apparently the head bolts are specific to the block and not the heads.

I got home, started swapping out valve springs and seals and torquing things down. I got a lot done in a short time.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R
Old 08-05-2021, 12:39 AM   #374
gottattooz

So apparently i pot in the wrong valve guide seals. The guy i bought the cam kit from sent me a box of parts. Conversely, i had a master felpro gasket kit. I replaced the valve guide seals with what was on there from the felpro kit. Those seals were meant for beehive springs. I'm using dual springs with the new cam. Thankfully, Roger Vinci himself (vincihighperformance.com) called me to explain that i needed to change the seals, or I'd break the inner springs. Unfortunately, i had already installed the cylinder heads before he called. So i bought a compression gauge kit, cut the hose off and barbed it with an air fitting to pressurized the cylinders and swap seals.

After i put the radiator back in and primed the oil system, I've got no oil pressure. I tried 3 different times. I cranked it with the injectors and coil packs disconnected and the oil psi gauge didn't move. I reprimed the oil system 2 more times. Even replaced and filled the oil filter. I ran out of patience and closed the garage for the day.

-Josh
Attached Images

2017 Suzuki M109R

Last edited by gottattooz; 08-05-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #375
biketopia

Are you checking on an analog gauge or the sending unit. It's very easy to crack that sensor behind the intake, or mess up the wiring. Did you remove the pump, if so did you get the right o ring on the pick up and get it seated all the way? I didn't get any oil pressure after my cam swap in my 08 just cranking, put the coil and injector fuse in and fired it up, had oil pressure in a few seconds.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote