The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #26
truckster

Re: Whats do you recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
A stock L31 engine block isn't machined to support the use of a mechanical fuel pump, and the stock cam doesn't have a lobe for the fuel pump push rod. This means you'll need to add an electric fuel pump, which you would be doing anyway if you're switching to fuel injection.
Some blocks were machined for a mechanical fuel pump - mine was. The easy way to know is to look for a block-off plate. If it's present, the block was machined for a mechanical fuel pump. As far as the cam, you might want to change that anyway. I went with the GMPP HT383 cam.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #27
memo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Some blocks were machined for a mechanical fuel pump - mine was. The easy way to know is to look for a block-off plate. If it's present, the block was machined for a mechanical fuel pump. As far as the cam, you might want to change that anyway. I went with the GMPP HT383 cam.
Thanks for the info, we installed an L31 in my sons 86 k20, 9k miles later
he is going the l29 route. I called dibs on his engine already.

I will look into the cam you mentioned, what kind of rockers are you running with that cam.
memo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #28
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
M21 is close ratio like the M22. M22 was stronger version. M21 is slightly stronger then an M20 but nothing worth mentioning. And yes, I put one in a truck.
Me too! They still make 'em you know, with a nice selection of available ratios from close to wide.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #29
pjmoreland

Quote:
Interesting. I have looked at a few dozen 96-99 trucks in wrecking yards, and I haven't seen one with a block-off plate yet. I've seen a few that had a partial push rod hole drilled, but it didn't go all the way through. I've seen the block off plate on 95 and earlier engines. What year vehicle was your engine out of? Is it an 880 block?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:23 PM   #30
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo43 View Post
Thanks for the info, we installed an L31 in my sons 86 k20, 9k miles later
he is going the l29 route. I called dibs on his engine already.

I will look into the cam you mentioned, what kind of rockers are you running with that cam.
I'm running stock Vortec rockers, but I had earlier-model SBC valve springs installed on the heads.

Quote:
Interesting. I have looked at a few dozen 96-99 trucks in wrecking yards, and I haven't seen one with a block-off plate yet. I've seen a few that had a partial push rod hole drilled, but it didn't go all the way through. I've seen the block off plate on 95 and earlier engines. What year vehicle was your engine out of? Is it an 880 block?
It's an 880 block. It came out of a 97 3/4 or 1 ton truck, if I remember correctly. It was originally fuel injected.

Oh, and if you're going to use a mechanical fuel pump, make sure you get a push rod with a bronze tip.

Last edited by truckster; 12-09-2021 at 10:32 PM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:30 PM   #31
memo43

Truckster, thanks for the replies.
I will see if I can browse through your install post for more info. maybe learn some tips or tricks
Old 12-09-2021, 11:42 PM   #32
truckster

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I did a lot of custom work because I wanted things to be a certain way.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #33
memo43

Quote:
Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I did a lot of custom work because I wanted things to be a certain way.
Will do thank you
Old 12-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #34
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Exactly what I did. My 1970 C10 with L31-R , Holley 4 barrel and long tube headers gets decent gas mileage if I take it easy on it. I know because I did that once a couple years ago, lol.
I built it to have fun and drive like I'm 18 again, if I want to drive like an old man I drive the Corolla.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:27 AM   #35
memo43

I thought of getting a newer car, but that's not really my plan.
After much debate and crunching numbers etc etc I've decided to stick with what I have.
The plan for now is replace the trans (already ordered)
prep the L31 once it's out of my sons truck
swap over to a blazer or suburban tank an get everything ready for efi
not sure if I want to go the tbi or Max efi.
eventually get 3:73 gears for the axles.
I'm still young at heart ripe age of 43 and a gluten for punishment.
I'll get more pictures of my rig an do some sort of build thread.
The overall goal is to keep it a daily driver/camping
Old 12-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #36
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
I thought of getting a newer car, but that's not really my plan.
After much debate and crunching numbers etc etc I've decided to stick with what I have.
The plan for now is replace the trans (already ordered)
prep the L31 once it's out of my sons truck
swap over to a blazer or suburban tank an get everything ready for efi
not sure if I want to go the tbi or Max efi.
eventually get 3:73 gears for the axles.
I'm still young at heart ripe age of 43 and a gluten for punishment.
I'll get more pictures of my rig an do some sort of build thread.
The overall goal is to keep it a daily driver/camping
If you have all the factory spider injection stuff. Holley may have a kit for it. Add a spacer between the plenum for better air flow, and the factory manifold is a decent performer.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:52 AM   #37
memo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
If you have all the factory spider injection stuff. Holley may have a kit for it. Add a spacer between the plenum for better air flow, and the factory manifold is a decent performer.
I dont have the factory intake,
I have a Summit brand aluminum intake
Never realized how many aftermarket EFI kits are out there.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #38
mattfranklin

I'm guessing "OF" was a typo and he meant "OD" (over drive).

Quote:
A what trans "OF"?
As for tires I'm running Dick Cepek tires, their AT versions
was not aware that either holley terminator could also control trans signal, might look into that. Every one I called has a ridiculous wait time for a rebuild trans, avg 5-9 weeks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #39
memo43

That makes sense now.
I've contemplated going some sort of OD trans, but that was just a thought
having to replace the transfercase itself along with the adapter an drive shafts.
I even contemplated doing some 4L60/4L80 swap but need to do more homework on them as far as the trans controls an what not.

Maybe some day I'll actually talk myself into an LS swap of some sorts.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #40
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
I'm guessing "OF" was a typo and he meant "OD" (over drive).
It could mean overflow - I once had a trans that constantly puked trans fluid...
Old 12-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #41
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
I put a 99 vortec in my old 79 pickup. It was from a 3/4ton truck. It had the mechanical pad there, bolt holes machined and all. No blockoff plate, and no pushrod hole from the factory.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:06 AM   #42
cerial

I have had a 91 s10 for a little over a month now. It's my 14th s10.

I bought the 130k truck for $900(interior is nice) then threw another $1500 into it via a 45k 2.5 swap, a new windshield, and lots of general wear parts like clutch etc.
This is my kiss truck. No power steering, windows, etc. TBI 2.5, 5 speed 2wd. Just a simple reliable truck. I was going to buy a 91 5 speed metro to drive back and forth with this winter eventually building my own "elio" and am glad I waited.

The s10 has a low bed which makes loading stuff in it so much easier then my other trucks. So far I have had a 80's snowblower, 5.3, and the replacement 2.5 in the bed of this thing.
It is easy to work on and everything is cheap with a good amount of aftermarket support. A metro is nice but finding parts like taillights etc can be fun.

Things like insurance are a fraction of what my 2500hd cost. Parts for this little truck are also a fraction of my other rides. I bought new mirrors for $15 and new taillights for $30 to give you an idea. It was more for looks then anything.

I have had a 91 and a 92 3 cylinder metro. They were fun simple commuter cars. But I will wait to buy a third.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #43
memo43

Thanks for all the recommendations on the accura/Nissan/s-10 etc etc etc, I haven't pulled the trigger yet

Well literally after a month of waiting I finally got my transmission that I ordered back in Dec 9th.
Installed it on Saturday drove It all day Sunday an now back to daily driver status for now,
While my truck was parked, I was doing lots of day dreaming and figuring out what the next step will be.
So far I'm on the fence of ditching both saddle tanks in favor of a blazer/suburban tank 31 gallon or 40 gallons, along with some sort of EFI.
I plan on changing out the gears to 3:73, currently 4:10
exhaust I know is next, just haven't decided manifolds, short tube, long tube single or dual exhaust. It's not a race car, just a big beautiful truck
I know the next engine that is going in will be an l31, so everything I do must be able to play nice later on down the road.
But for now I just glad I have my truck back an ready to make it do truck things

Last edited by memo43; 01-25-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #44
truckster

I would save some headaches down the road and go with 2 1/2 inch rams horn manifolds.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:59 PM   #45
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
I would save some headaches down the road and go with 2 1/2 inch rams horn manifolds.
He can't, the frame is in the way. He can do 2" ramhorns, or cut his frame to fit the 2.5" I guess. Or maybe it was the motor mounts, I don't remember when I did mine.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #46
68post

Not enough difference btw 4:10 to 3:73 to even notice.
Try 3:42 to 3:55 to actually have enough to know that you've done it. I don't know your tire height, but gearing and tires go hand in hand.
If you have 31" tire height, or less, you can gear higher, if the cam is close to stock, (reasonably close).
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #47
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
He can't, the frame is in the way. He can do 2" ramhorns, or cut his frame to fit the 2.5" I guess. Or maybe it was the motor mounts, I don't remember when I did mine.
I forgot we weren't talking about a 67-72. Sorry for the incorrect information.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #48
memo43

I started looking at some of the ram horn manifolds, I bought some similar to what Truckster have on his blazer, but I don't think mine will clear. My buddy says he has some Corvette style ram manifolds that he is willing to trade, I believe those have the rear swept collectors, now to find a kit to get the exhaust work started, I would rather have a single exhaust vs dual as well as have it exit before the rear tire.
Then do decide what muffler(s) I want to run. I have a set of Flow Master super 40's but would prefer a more softer rumble
This way there should be no interference when I eventually swap over to a blazer/suburban tank.
I keep telling the wife this will be the last truck I buy, but then again she says she knows better, what ever that means
Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #49
memo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
Not enough difference btw 4:10 to 3:73 to even notice.
Try 3:42 to 3:55 to actually have enough to know that you've done it. I don't know your tire height, but gearing and tires go hand in hand.
If you have 31" tire height, or less, you can gear higher, if the cam is close to stock, (reasonably close).
For now I have 265-75r16, have been looking at slightly taller and wider, but don't want to over do, this way I wont have to get a lift or trim fenders.
Future plans are
L31 with some sort of EFI
th400 (since its new)
gears and tires?
Old 02-02-2022, 02:38 AM   #50
Average Joe

Sounds like you have a solid plan and lotta great feedback but wth I’ll throw in my 2cents.

Taller tires can work as an OD on the highway. Obviously less revolutions to cover the same ground. Wider tires however will most likely hurt mileage as their is more contact area and therefor resistance. Think tall and skinny here.

Personally I’m not convinced the new tbi efi units are worth it. I’ve read or watched all kinds of frustration with these. ECM’s crapping out, screens dying, or other problems. Fitech and Holley both have serious deficiencies in their customer service dept. as well. Jus’ sayin’

Instead I’d have a custom qjet built by Sean Murphy, Cliff Ruggles, or anyone else that really knows these carbs. If you wanna ad a lil high tech, throw in a wideband O2 sensor to monitor it. You’ll still be cheaper than that aftermarket efi kit.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843

Last edited by Average Joe; 02-02-2022 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote