The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
portrodder

1990 GMC Sierra extended cab

Well, I got a good deal on a 1990 GMC extended cab so I though I would post here to keep up the the progress. I'm not new to the forum, use to be in the square body section but a guy decided he wanted it more.

Here are a few photo of what I will be starting with.
Attached Images

portrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
LT7A

Re: 1990 GMC Sierra extended cab

That's a good grab. That thing is cool. I don't want to step on your toes if you're groovin on the 90s accessories vibe, but just returning that thing to mostly stock exterior will make it look even cooler. It reminds me of the black and gold Trans Ams in the '80s. I think that lower gold section looks neat.
Attached Images

Last edited by LT7A; 06-02-2022 at 05:45 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
LT7A

Okay, bear with me here, but I have a busy imagination, and I like coming up with ideas, like a background story that could fit the theme of building a truck project. Might not fit in at all with how you do things or how you think. So just understand that this is my enthusiasm for working with what you've got there, not a road map that I think you need to follow, or anything like that. That color combo is not something you see now, and I think it's fun to work with a feature of a truck, even if it's an era that has already passed. I think, like I said above, that the obvious '90s accessories aren't helping it. But I think the idea of building it as if it was the next generation tow vehicle for the bandit Trans Am would be cool. Subtle custom and performance mods just to set it apart a little. Already has a dual exhaust. I think pulling the rest of the side trim would look cool and that the running boards / fender flares could go. That means the wide offset wheels would now stick out in would need to go - maybe replaced by some dark gold 17-in wheels that are a little more subtle? Looks like the back may have been lowered a little bit, but I think it could come down a couple inches in the front and an inch and a half in the back or so. A rear roll pan painted the gold color could be cool. That would make the front bumper stand out, and I think that painting it black would be cool. Gold would fit in because of where it is height wise, but it seems that the gold nose might be too much. Anyway, sorry about running amok with your new truck, but every once in awhile something gets my imagination going. I'll shut up now and let you get after it.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
portrodder

Thanks for your comments LT7A. I haven't decided what all I want to do with the truck yet but some of your ideas like getting rid of some if not all of the 90s stuff. The color combo is original to the truck and I will keep it that color and the rear has not been lower any that is the factory stance but I do want to lower it a little more. The first thing that I want to do is repair some rust spot around and under the batter tray area.

Feel free to make any more comments or suggestions that you may have. Here are a few more photos of what I am starting with. More to come later
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
portrodder

A few more photos of the interior as it is now
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #6
portrodder

Haven't done much to the truck since my last post, still checking it out when time permits. Checked under the hood and found some rust on the radiator support and battery tray, nothing that can't be repaired.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #7
Just call me Sean

That truck has a conversion package, like the vans. I'm not sure what company though.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:54 AM   #8
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
That truck has a conversion package, like the vans. I'm not sure what company though.
Yep, when you encounter oak in the interior of your truck or van from the 80s or 90s, you pretty much know it's been through one of the conversion companies. Some of that stuff is nice and convenient like the seat and overhead consoles.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:56 AM   #9
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by portrodder View Post
Haven't done much to the truck since my last post, still checking it out when time permits. Checked under the hood and found some rust on the radiator support and battery tray, nothing that can't be repaired.
Looks like you've caught it in time to save a lot of it.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #10
portrodder

I got the battery tray out today to check it and clean it up to see if it could be saved, well I was a little to far gone to try and save. Will work on getting the inner fender out this weekend and see what it looks like in that area.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2022, 07:13 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice truck, and good color combo.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
portrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Nice truck, and good color combo.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
portrodder

Haven't done a whole lot to the truck in the past few week, several days of 100 degree plus heat index but I did get a battery tray ordered.

Today I started getting ready to pull the right inner fender shield to check out how much was damage was done from leaking battery acid. Before I could pull the inner shield I had to unbolt the running board on that side and pull it back far enough to get to the bolt so I decided to just take it completely off the see what the truck would look like without it. While pulling stuff just went on and took the broken bug shield off to, now just need to clean up that area and pull the bracket for the running boards. Will try and get inner shield off before days end.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #14
portrodder

Finally got the inner shield off and it didn't look to bad, a little cleaning up, some rust treatment and repair the hole that rusted through and it should be good to go. The next step is to check out the core support in that area.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #15
portrodder

I got the core support out yesterday and it didn't look near as bad as I thought it did after checking the cost of getting one shipped, more than cost of the core support itself. The only bad spot is under the battery tray area, anyway will start cleaning it up to see how bad the rust really is.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #16
portrodder

I pulled out the usual, wire brush, sandpaper and my Harbor Freight air needle scaler. It cleaned up fairly well considering and after that gave it a good treatment of rust converter and let it set for a day or two. That last photo is after the rust converter has sit for a while. After that will make a card board template of that area and see how it goes.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #17
LT7A

You got the rust cleaned up well. Hopefully you can piece in the patches needed.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:23 PM   #18
portrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You got the rust cleaned up well. Hopefully you can piece in the patches needed.
One more treatment with the rust converter and then to start the repairs.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:03 PM   #19
portrodder

Still working on the core support and the inner fender shield but got to checking the frame horns and wondering what you guys use on surface rust in them, a wire brush only go in so far. By the way found a spark plug in the left horn and the bumper has never been off so how do you guys think it got there
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #20
portrodder

Finally finished repair of the radiator core support. Finished the rust treatment and made a template out of cardboard and cut a piece of sheet metal to match, tack welded it to the support, not the best looking welds, cleaned things up with jb weld and plastic metal. Will clean up the whole thing and paint when ready to reinstall. Now on to the inner shield.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #21
portrodder

Finished up the repair on the inner shield except for priming and will get that done. Use the same process as used on the core support except did not weld any metal, hole was to small, rust treatment, jb weld and a little plastic metal.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #22
vht

Around here, if you can find these trucks that have a solid rear frame, you are lucky. My 94's frame is in great shape, I just need to put it on the rack and paint it. That's going to be a nice truck, I like the GMC's.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote