The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #1
lupo

Re: Dealing with Rust

Most effective method for dealing with rust is to remove the paint and then treat it with a phosphoric acid solution. There are phosphoric acid rust removers with zinc that are effective especially in welded seams . It dissolves the rust and leaves his Zinc film. Panels treated like this they can stay indoors for a year without re rusting. Two coats of a aluminum pigmented permanent rust sealer Do not use black follow it up with any kind of primer you want over that and then your color. By utilizing a phosphoric acid solution and top coating with an airtight seal you have done everything humanely possible to prevent rust.
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
IDC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Most effective method for dealing with rust is to remove the paint and then treat it with a phosphoric acid solution. There are phosphoric acid rust removers with zinc that are effective especially in welded seams . It dissolves the rust and leaves his Zinc film. Panels treated like this they can stay indoors for a year without re rusting. Two coats of a aluminum pigmented permanent rust sealer Do not use black follow it up with any kind of primer you want over that and then your color. By utilizing a phosphoric acid solution and top coating with an airtight seal you have done everything humanely possible to prevent rust.
I have some SEM RUST SEAL. It brushes on white and turns into a black coating. I think I am going to just clean as best as I can then coat with rust seal and epoxy prime and paint.

I could cut the cowl apart for access and weld it back together, but I it's just surface rust and not rusted through. Hate to risk more harm than good.
IDC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:00 AM   #3
Foot Stomper

Scuff it, wipe clean with a wax and grease remover then apply a good quality epoxy primer as per manufacturers directions and call it perfect. No other work required.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote