The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Beach-Burban

Re: Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 and Sanderson BB8 Headers Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Those 72 only look an awful lot like squarebody stuff.

I thought our 68 was on squarebody mounts, but maybe they're 72 mounts.
It's confusing to me too, KQQL IT...but I had seen some 73 and up motor mount pictures in another post, and they were similar but not the same. I guess it makes sense that if they figured out there was an issue with the 72 mounts and changed them in 73, that GM might only slightly change the design??? I'm now wondering if the part of the motor mount that I can't see is part of the problem? Anyone know if there is a way to raise the engine by changing the "engine mount" side and keep the stands (?perches?)???

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
It's confusing to me too, KQQL IT...but I had seen some 73 and up motor mount pictures in another post, and they were similar but not the same. I guess it makes sense that if they figured out there was an issue with the 72 mounts and changed them in 73, that GM might only slightly change the design??? I'm now wondering if the part of the motor mount that I can't see is part of the problem? Anyone know if there is a way to raise the engine by changing the "engine mount" side and keep the stands (?perches?)???

Woody
Again, my first suggestion would be to simply trim the frame rail.
Beyond that, what about making some flat spacers that can be inserted between the MM pad & block?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Again, my first suggestion would be to simply trim the frame rail.
Beyond that, what about making some flat spacers that can be inserted between the MM pad & block?
From what my header guy showed me, the collector would clear if enginge was higher then header would be in the right position to mate with the head? The picture doesn't depict what is happening to well but the front primary tube on passenger side is hitting the bolting flange of the motor mount stand.

Spacers aren't a bad idea, but that seem like it would take about the same amount of work as replacing with the proper mounts? Thanks again.

Woody
Old 12-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
From what my header guy showed me, the collector would clear if enginge was higher then header would be in the right position to mate with the head? The picture doesn't depict what is happening to well but the front primary tube on passenger side is hitting the bolting flange of the motor mount stand.

Spacers aren't a bad idea, but that seem like it would take about the same amount of work as replacing with the proper mounts? Thanks again.

Woody
I wouldn't argue your point if you could define what the 'proper' mount actually is. I guess what I'm trying to communicate is are you 101% sure if you get the different set of motor mount stanchions that things will fit w/o issue? I'm betting 'no' or else this discussion wouldn't be happening.

If you're not sure the mounts (stanchions) are the Golden Ticket you seek, you're still potentially stuck. To me, that would be frustrating. Say the 'new/different' stanchions allow the headers to fit but now the fan doesn't line-up or a valve cover interferes w/something (common issues when using different parts). Thus my suggestion of tweaking things to work w/what you have since the drivetrain is already installed/in-place.

I get it if you don't wish to go that route. If someone had both types & would let you try the set-up that's pre-73 big-block (but different from yours) to see if that solves the issue, that's 100% how I would go about it first. Barring that and/or wanting to move forward sooner than later, I'd tweak things.

I wish I could help & will definitely be watching to see what the answer is to your dilemma.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-07-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Beach-Burban

Quote:
I wouldn't argue your point if you could define what the 'proper' mount actually is. I guess what I'm trying to communicate is are you 101% sure if you get the different set of motor mount stanchions that things will fit w/o issue? I'm betting 'no' or else this discussion wouldn't be happening.

If you're not sure the mounts (stanchions) are the Golden Ticket you seek, you're still potentially stuck. To me, that would be frustrating. Say the 'new/different' stanchions allow the headers to fit but now the fan doesn't line-up or a valve cover interferes w/something (common issues when using different parts). Thus my suggestion of tweaking things to work w/what you have since the drivetrain is already installed/in-place.

I get it if you don't wish to go that route. If someone had both types & would let you try the set-up that's pre-73 big-block (but different from yours) to see if that solves the issue, that's 100% how I would go about it first. Barring that and/or wanting to move forward sooner than later, I'd tweak things.

I wish I could help & will definitely be watching to see what the answer is to your dilemma.
You are 100% correct in your analysis of my dilemma, SCOTI...and I don't know enough to argue what will work or what could go wrong with simply changing to the '68 to '71 set-up. I just "think" that in the scheme of things, a '72 is basically identical to a '68 to '71 in regards to frame, engine compartment, etc...and many have used the BB8's without the issue I am having. Sanderson knows that many BB engines have been transplanted into our trucks that came originally with a I/6 or SB V/8...and make the claim that the BB8 has been engineered to fit without issue "IF" they have the original (or suitable replacement) motor mounts. Whether or not Sanderson knows about the '72 only motor mount is in question, but doesn't really aid in getting the answer I'm looking for...unless someone else had my same exact issue, changed to a specific motor mount and lived happily ever after! Without that knowledge, I will probably have to collect the '68 to '71 components for a future swap and see how it goes? For now (after the holiday season is behind us), I'll be concentrating on my EFI project...but will keep my eyes open in case more intel comes my way! I really do appreciate EVERYTHING you have suggested, and some frame tweaking might be in my future...but I'm not ready to do that yet. Thanks once again...and yes, I'll post any headway I make, although it might be a while!

Woody
Old 12-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
You are 100% correct in your analysis of my dilemma, SCOTI...and I don't know enough to argue what will work or what could go wrong with simply changing to the '68 to '71 set-up. I just "think" that in the scheme of things, a '72 is basically identical to a '68 to '71 in regards to frame, engine compartment, etc...and many have used the BB8's without the issue I am having. Sanderson knows that many BB engines have been transplanted into our trucks that came originally with a I/6 or SB V/8...and make the claim that the BB8 has been engineered to fit without issue "IF" they have the original (or suitable replacement) motor mounts. Whether or not Sanderson knows about the '72 only motor mount is in question, but doesn't really aid in getting the answer I'm looking for...unless someone else had my same exact issue, changed to a specific motor mount and lived happily ever after! Without that knowledge, I will probably have to collect the '68 to '71 components for a future swap and see how it goes? For now (after the holiday season is behind us), I'll be concentrating on my EFI project...but will keep my eyes open in case more intel comes my way! I really do appreciate EVERYTHING you have suggested, and some frame tweaking might be in my future...but I'm not ready to do that yet. Thanks once again...and yes, I'll post any headway I make, although it might be a while!

Woody
I think I have a pair of the 68-72 (or 68-71 if thats what they are) bb stanchions if thats what you need to try.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-08-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Beach-Burban

Quote:
I think I have a pair of the 68-72 (or 68-71 if thats what they are) bb stanchions if thats what you need to try.
Thanks for the kind offer, SCOTI, but I'll do more research before I decide on which mounts I'll try first. They use a completely different style rubber mount which I think aids in the better fit...and I recently saw a complete set for sale but passed on those as well. Just not ready to make the decision on it right now...but I'll keep your offer in mind! Sanderson even gave part numbers for a couple of aftermarket mounts that they say will work, so getting different mounts won't be a problem (although I am leaning towards the original style). Thanks again!

Woody
Old 12-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:

Woody
I looked at our 68 with thorley tri Ys yesterday.
There's some hackery on the driver's side rail..
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
I looked at our 68 with thorley tri Ys yesterday.
There's some hackery on the driver's side rail..
I can see that, KQQL IT...exactly what I'm trying to avoid! The squarebody mounts are supposed to be a better fit for headers and I read that those tri Y's were the easiest fitting full length headers, so maybe you do have '72 mounts under there? Thanks again.

Woody