The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #3426
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Alan the first time you scratch that shiny bed , You are just going to lay down and bawl!!!
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #3427
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
I agree Alan its not really looking that good, I say start over and let me know when you throw it out..

Really Alan it looks really sharp, nice job
Thanks David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i dont see anything wrong with that, super nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Excellent Alan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
As they say the artiest is his own worst critic, I think it looks damn nice Alan...Vernski
Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
Looks great Alan !!!!!!!
X4 I appreciate it guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Alan the first time you scratch that shiny bed , You are just going to lay down and bawl!!!
Yeah tell me about it.

Got a little bit of problem with the rear sill not letting the wood lay flat. If you remember I tested the wood with the new rear sill that I bought and ended up using the OE one. I didn't forsee this problem since I was using the OE piece.

The piece on the sill where the bolt goes thru is sticking up which is pushing the wood up. I guess it was like that from the factory. I did tighten the main bolt down with no change. I walked away and finished the gauge pod from last night. I have to consider my options.
Attached Images

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #3428
Chad215

spend 5 minutes with a router, another 20 with paper and sealer and call it a day!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #3429
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Or use the BFH again.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #3430
Vernski

That is odd that pod should be the same height as the cross sill, curious why it's that way if it's OE....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #3431
198plus

I had to move mine down some.........
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #3432
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
spend 5 minutes with a router, another 20 with paper and sealer and call it a day!
That was a thought, but I'm leaning more to cutting the top of the pod that is too high. Still thinking, actually I'm letting the finish cure some more. It's really green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Or use the BFH again.
Not this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
That is odd that pod should be the same height as the cross sill, curious why it's that way if it's OE....Vernski
I can't figure it either. The wood in the bed when I got the truck was gone. I don't know what it looked like before. I'm sure in 65 an old farmer didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
I had to move mine down some.........
Yours was a mar-k, right? Did you have to adjust on the pod or lower the complete sill?

ELECTRICAL ?? Ran into an issue. Go figure. How can I hook up my altenator (gen) idiot light? Looking at a 59 Impala schematic it shows the brown wire goes to the "A" on the gen and the tan wire ties into several other gauges like it is the ground. What confusses me is it goes to the "+" onn the coil. So what is the tan wire? I say a ground.

So what turns the light on?

EDIT: I did some searching and found this
Quote:
The brown wire for the indicator light coming off the alternator is grounded when the alternator is not charging and provides +12V when it is charging. This wire goes to one side of the lamp. The other side of the lamp is hooked up to +12V battery power. When the alternator is not charging, the lamp gets the +12V from the battery and ground from the alternator, so the lamp comes on. Once the alternator starts charging the lamp now has +12V on both terminals, so it goes out.
This is the wire the diode goes on from the altenator, correct? I know we have discussed this before. Is it ok to run the diode witht the lidiot light?

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 09-26-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #3433
Alan's Classic

Never mind me, I'm just thinking outloud again. I believe I have it figured out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #3434
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I can't remember what alternator you are using. Do you have a one wire alternator? If so, I called American Auto Wire, and asked the same question. They said "a one wire alternator doesn't need a charge light." Go figure???
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #3435
66BowTieBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
This is the wire the diode goes on from the altenator, correct? I know we have discussed this before. Is it ok to run the diode witht the lidiot light?
Hey Alan, project is looking good...!

YES it's OK. The idiot light will monitor alternator output and the diode is there to keep this generated voltage from feeding the coil once the key is turned off....

Keep those photos come'in, I'm more inspired with every post...!!

Danny aka: 66BowTieBoy
Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #3436
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
I can't remember what alternator you are using. Do you have a one wire alternator? If so, I called American Auto Wire, and asked the same question. They said "a one wire alternator doesn't need a charge light." Go figure???
interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy View Post
Hey Alan, project is looking good...!

YES it's OK. The idiot light will monitor alternator output and the diode is there to keep this generated voltage from feeding the coil once the key is turned off....

Keep those photos come'in, I'm more inspired with every post...!!

Danny aka: 66BowTieBoy
Thanks Danny

Got bored at work and decided to sand the paint off the top of the hood. It appears to be original paint. The interesting thing is I found some black filler on the left rear corner. It was about 1/4" thick. I'm thinking it was done at the factory from damage on the assy line. Has anybody heard of this?

I'm getting it blasted, but wanted to go ahead and beat out some dents. The white paint that is left on top are low spots.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #3437
shrunken66stroker

I've thought long and hard about getting a GMC hood for my truck but mine is in perfect shape so I think I'll keep it. I love the more aggressive look of this one. What truck is it going on?
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #3438
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker View Post
I've thought long and hard about getting a GMC hood for my truck but mine is in perfect shape so I think I'll keep it. I love the more aggressive look of this one. What truck is it going on?
I agree with the looks. It will be going on my orange truck.

I finished up the last gauge pod QD's.

Chasing more wires tonight. I discovered last night that I will have to make a parking brake switch bracket. Did these trucks not have a bracket/switch? If so maybe it's in the shop some where.

Shannon came thru for me and got a 1/2" SS tube so I can run the altenator wires in. Still have to mount it. Thanks buddy!!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3439
McMurphy

Sir,
It has taken me a week and a half of reading every post to get here, and all I can say is wow...
I am not only grateful of your detailed posts, but inspired as well.

Thank you.

If I can figure out a way to post pics here I will do a thread like this on my 66 stepside project, otherwise I am keeping my Facebook and my CarDomain sites up to date.

Thanks again for making such a great teaching thread!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #3440
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Sir,
It has taken me a week and a half of reading every post to get here, and all I can say is wow...
I am not only grateful of your detailed posts, but inspired as well.

Thank you.

If I can figure out a way to post pics here I will do a thread like this on my 66 stepside project, otherwise I am keeping my Facebook and my CarDomain sites up to date.

Thanks again for making such a great teaching thread!
Hey, welcome aboard and thanks for taking the time to read the story. Also thanks for the coments.

The quickest way to post a pic is to use the manage attachments a little ways down from the text box where you write your message. Go to this link for better explaination. I have been using this a lot lately. You can't type text between the pics. Also you can only post 5 pics per message.

You can also use the gallery in the blue bar along the top of the page. It's a little harder to use. If you use that copy and paste "IMG" code of the pics that you have uploaded into your message.

I have used an offsite image host such as photobucket.com. There are others out there. Using one of these sites you also copy and paste the "img" code into your message.

Anytime you copy and paste an img code you can write between the pics. Your also able to post 10 pics per message. But smilies take away from that number. If you have 2 smilies then you can only post 8 pics.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #3441
57truckguy

Alan

I also have been following your thread for months.. just joined a few days ago.. I don't have the modern truck as you do. I have a 57 stepside short bed.. I've added 396, 700R4, complete wiring kit from EZ Wire( very good kit) VDO Gauges, Power Windows (Specialy windows), Front end with rack and Pinon stering from a 95 Dodge Dakota, Stering Column from a 92 Caprice,. Was painted when I got it, 15 years ago. now has dings and dents.. character I quess... recently did a complete custom interior except the seats. Still need to do the bed.. I have wood that my dad and I cut down on the farm before he passed away, IN 89. I will use this cherry for the bed some time.. LOL Still need to sort out the rear end... I was told it was from a late 70s camaro.. Ii is a 10 bolt 8.5 I think.. never had to cover off to vertify.. gears is pretty low maybe 3:08 or somewhere near that as 70 MPH on the interstate is 1400 RPM.. in overdrive.. >75 overdrive installed by a friend of mine when he went throught the tranny 10 years ago..
Keep up the great post You inspire all you find you..
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #3442
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Alan

I also have been following your thread for months.. just joined a few days ago.. I don't have the modern truck as you do. I have a 57 stepside short bed.. I've added 396, 700R4, complete wiring kit from EZ Wire( very good kit) VDO Gauges, Power Windows (Specialy windows), Front end with rack and Pinon stering from a 95 Dodge Dakota, Stering Column from a 92 Caprice,. Was painted when I got it, 15 years ago. now has dings and dents.. character I quess... recently did a complete custom interior except the seats. Still need to do the bed.. I have wood that my dad and I cut down on the farm before he passed away, IN 89. I will use this cherry for the bed some time.. LOL Still need to sort out the rear end... I was told it was from a late 70s camaro.. Ii is a 10 bolt 8.5 I think.. never had to cover off to vertify.. gears is pretty low maybe 3:08 or somewhere near that as 70 MPH on the interstate is 1400 RPM.. in overdrive.. >75 overdrive installed by a friend of mine when he went throught the tranny 10 years ago..
Keep up the great post You inspire all you find you..
Thanks for watching and welcome aboard. Sounds like a nice truck you have there. Send me a link to your build when you get it going. I haven't been surfing the board lately, concentrating on getting this thing done.

I have almost got the gauges done. Need to do the speedo pod in the center on the truck side and finish up the brown wire on the "GEN" light once I get the SS tube mounted to the engine for the altenator wires.

Also spent some more quality time bumping dents on the hood.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #3443
57truckguy

Well I really like the dash you installed... I've seen that done a couple of times and it always adds a real custom touch.. I will try to get the link up in a few days.. I am real busy now and don't have much time extra.. LOL Only get to work on the 57 every so often..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #3444
57truckguy

a couple of photos of my therapy/ Name:  Blueberry berry car show004.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  Blueberry berry car show002.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  S2010005.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #3445
Alan's Classic

Quote:
a couple of photos of my therapy/
Very nice truckguy.

Got the rear LED lights done....almost. Just need to clean it up a little. The right side did just fine. It took me forever to get the left side to ground, but I got it. I also used a QD for the lights just in case the bed has to come off. I still need a ground strap for the bed. I was just using an extra battery to power the lights. I haven't powered up the complete truck just yet.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #3446
57truckguy

Well I see you went to the "extreme" of buying all your weatherpak connectors.. LOL I visted my local yards and pulled a couple of hundred from Gm cars and trucks.. Found everthing I needed and then got on the internet and purchased the correct connectors to go in them... Saved a buch of money and gave me some special connectors such as 6pin connector from a Cadallic from the mid 80's. I put in a kit from EZwire.. they have a great diagram and easy to follow instructions. Great job on your truck, as I've said before your inspire all who find you..
Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #3447
57truckguy

just curious, did you have to scrape off some paint to get the light to ground. I had to run a special ground wire as my lights are in a fiberglass roll pan.. you will appreciate this.. when I was doing the headlights. I reversed the ground and low beam connecting in the socket and when I turned on the headlights and turned on the 4 way flashers the dash lights flashed. I almost fell out of the truck I was laughing so hard... LOL Called the hot line at easy wire and he knew what I had done right a way.. 5 minute fix 6 months to figure it out..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #3448
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Well I see you went to the "extreme" of buying all your weatherpak connectors.. LOL I visted my local yards and pulled a couple of hundred from Gm cars and trucks.. Found everthing I needed and then got on the internet and purchased the correct connectors to go in them... Saved a buch of money and gave me some special connectors such as 6pin connector from a Cadallic from the mid 80's. I put in a kit from EZwire.. they have a great diagram and easy to follow instructions. Great job on your truck, as I've said before your inspire all who find you..

I went the lazy way and just clicked "buy".

Quote:
just curious, did you have to scrape off some paint to get the light to ground. I had to run a special ground wire as my lights are in a fiberglass roll pan.. you will appreciate this.. when I was doing the headlights. I reversed the ground and low beam connecting in the socket and when I turned on the headlights and turned on the 4 way flashers the dash lights flashed. I almost fell out of the truck I was laughing so hard... LOL Called the hot line at easy wire and he knew what I had done right a way.. 5 minute fix 6 months to figure it out..
Yes, I had to clean off several layers of primer and paint off the "J" clips for the tail light housing.

That's funny, now that you figured it out. I wonder what gremlins I will have when I power every thing up.

TIP: I discovered this today, maybe ya'll already know. I was trying to get a string run thru some tubing so I could pull some wires. It wasn't going very well. I blew air thru the tube while feeding the sting and it worked nicely. It took one good blast of about a second.

I got the tubing in for the tail lights and fuel tank and rerouted the headlights, radiator fan and horn.

Also got the gauges mounted for the final time (I hope). Still have to wire the park brake light.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #3449
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Nice progress Alan. Won't be long now. I bet you can't wait.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE: