The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Hello Detroit. What happened to truck designs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
There is the Cybertruck choice
Origami truck

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #27
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
There is the Cybertruck choice
Damn I always seem to forget how ugly that turd is, then I see a picture and the cringing starts all over again.

If that is truly the future of American trucks, then Im in big trouble if they ever stop making parts for all the old iron.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #28
Boog
laying low

I read recently they are having difficulty making it to production so you may need to find another alternative truck.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #29
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I read somewhere that the reason the Cybertruck looks like so many folded flat panels is due to the difficulty in forming stainless steel. It can easily be bent, just not easily pressed into shaped body panels. That said, how to explain the DeLorean, which has stainless steel panels with some shape to them -- and was made in the early 1980s? Thinner material maybe?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #30
67C10Step

I forgot to get a photo of it but a few weeks ago my son had his 2016 Tacoma in one bay of the shop and my 67 was in the other bay. Dang it but that Taco look bigger than the c10. Not just height but overall dimensions.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:08 AM   #31
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I read somewhere that the reason the Cybertruck looks like so many folded flat panels is due to the difficulty in forming stainless steel. It can easily be bent, just not easily pressed into shaped body panels. That said, how to explain the DeLorean, which has stainless steel panels with some shape to them -- and was made in the early 1980s? Thinner material maybe?
The DeLorean was a heavy car even though it had a modern chassis design for the time. If my memory of it is correct it was something like 700 pounds heavier then it needed to be. Had it been made of conventional steel.

Stainless steel is weaker then normal steel, and I think they said it was more brittle. So it had to be heavier to accommodate, or what ever stainless is vs conventional steel. Off memory again.

The DeLorean had wheel arches formed into its rather angular body. So 30 years on I am sure more could be done.

I think it's a design element they want is the weird angularity, and it maybe hard to form for a start up. Where as DeLorean took something like 150 million from britain. They have to be going for the electric being the selling point as that truck is so ugly 2 mothers couldn't love it.

There's a guy on YouTube who put a square body on a tesla chassis. If he got rid of the I pad dash. I could easily live with one of those even with a 100 mile range.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #32
Big Kev-O

The windshield on the new trucks are not near as upright as the older trucks which probably helps with aerodynamics. If you can spend $60k on a new truck I guess MPG isn't a big deal. Here in CA gas is over $4 per gallon and those big trucks are everywhere. It's funny to see the mix of Prius, Tesla & giant full size trucks on the road. I don't mind the look of the new trucks but the overall size is getting ridiculous. Trucks keep getting bigger but parking spaces keep getting smaller.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #33
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

...and to make matters worse, you have the "Bro Trucks". So you take your typical new F250 or C2500, put a lift kit and large tires on it and it NEVER sees the mud? What's up with that? They are all over my area. Granted they look nice and shiny, but come'on man!

Back in my day when you lifted trucks, it was for a purpose. That's to get deeper in the woods or mud!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #34
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post

There's a guy on YouTube who put a square body on a tesla chassis. If he got rid of the I pad dash. I could easily live with one of those even with a 100 mile range.
Salvage to Savage? I think that's the name. I've been watching that build too

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Interesting take and am not dismissing this as you may be onto something. My only thought on that is I have never seen alot of American trucks over seas other than the middle east. They tend to be to large for the roads. I have seen tons of toyotas and bongo trucks.
Yeah, full sized pick-up trucks seem to be an American thing. I really don't get why we would be concerned with European standards of any kind? Not that I doubt that this is the case, it probably is., but why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Big 4 door cabs and a tinny bed, Looks more like a sports utility vehicle than truck. Then there is the crazy prices today for a truck. Let's face it they are luxury vehicles not trucks.
I have hated that look for many years. The cabs keep getting bigger and beds smaller. Some of them are so short that the wheelbase looks funny on them. The front edge of the wheel openings are flattened, because they would run off of the bed and into the rear doors.
They look like a giant brick of a 4 door car without a decklid.

When I bought my '20 Colorado in December of '19, I could not get a standard (old fashioned) single cab. I ended up with an extended cab, which still has moveable rear doors, but not the full 4 door with exterior handles.

I'm a guilty as anyone else though. I don't haul anything of any substance in it. I have had a few tools in cases, the kitchen cabinets that I build for my daughter, and that's about it. But I didn't really buy it for that. My intent was 4x4 and a trailer hitch mount, and minimal frills, exactly what I got. V6, work truck package and remote start. Winter commuter and bike hauler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #35
truckin 79

Plus trucks do not have to meet the same MPG targets set by the government as passenger cars do.