The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 71 cheyenne super questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
i agree with Ledzepp as well - i.e. tilt were black column/wheel, but I also think the column color for the non-tilts depended on the exterior color. In other words, there's never been a red column non-tilt on a red truck that I've seen... For example, I had a red 72 Cheyenne without tilt when it was about 10 yrs old - column and wheel were black from the factory from what I could tell.

Sooooo... while I think ALL tilts columns (and their wheels) were black, I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that Red, Black, White, & Orange trucks had black columns and wheels, even non-tilts. Also thought that Ochre & Lt Yellow were always saddle (if Saddle interior selected). So, I am still confused a bit...

But having said that - I would think that YOUR dark olive truck would have come with dark olive wheel and column if not tilt from the factory. Now, who knows what they might have decided to do on the assembly line, anything is possible.

Nice truck by the way!

I think you've got it right. But it could also be because a lot of those color trucks were ordered with parchment interior. Ive never seen a white column/steering wheel. My med red/white Super with parchment interior came with non-tilt in black with black wheel. Also the perimeter of the glove box door is black instead of body color.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Non tilt trucks got the column painted to match body color. Tilt trucks got a black column/black wheel.

If I am wrong somebody will correct me
We are on the same page....

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
jocko

Dark olive paint and black trim (i.e. door panels, dash pad, etc) was not common, but I think anything was possible that way. If you don't find green paint on the eng comp side of the column, I'd just buy a correct black wheel like you mentioned, and call it a day. It's not tilt, but so what, it looks cool and it COULD have looked that way - for all we know there was a glut of leftover black columns from red or black trucks, etc - so they used. it. OR - I'd go ahead and paint the column green to match a green correct wheel - that's how it woulda/shoulda come from the factory, all things being equal.

Also, I personally think that a dark olive truck looks best with the olive interior.
Easiest route, and I think would look fine: buy a nice black wheel, call it a day.
Most appropriate route: paint column correct green with a matching green wheel.

Or, if you want tilt anyway, just get a black tilt column and a black wheel!

Many options. Could also color coordinate a green wheel/tilt column - I've seen folks do that and it looks pretty nice.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
48richard

My truck was originally Ochre, with Parchment interior. It didn't have the original wheel when I bought it, but the dash pad was sandalwood (light brown), and even though the visible part of the column has been repainted red like the rest of the truck, the lower part of the column, which you have to get under the dash to see, is still sandalwood. I'm guessing that's original.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
Graham57a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Dark olive paint and black trim (i.e. door panels, dash pad, etc) was not common, but I think anything was possible that way. If you don't find green paint on the eng comp side of the column, I'd just buy a correct black wheel like you mentioned, and call it a day. It's not tilt, but so what, it looks cool and it COULD have looked that way - for all we know there was a glut of leftover black columns from red or black trucks, etc - so they used. it. OR - I'd go ahead and paint the column green to match a green correct wheel - that's how it woulda/shoulda come from the factory, all things being equal.

Also, I personally think that a dark olive truck looks best with the olive interior.
Easiest route, and I think would look fine: buy a nice black wheel, call it a day.
Most appropriate route: paint column correct green with a matching green wheel.

Or, if you want tilt anyway, just get a black tilt column and a black wheel!

Many options. Could also color coordinate a green wheel/tilt column - I've seen folks do that and it looks pretty nice.
Great advice, thank you. I checked the other side of the firewall and it's all black. I think I'm gonna change the arm rests cause I already have a green set but I'll get a black wheel and leave the column and dash pad.
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
Wildwagonz

I'm not sure about the Cheyennes but I just picked up a Dark Olive 72 Custom with RPO 600(black vinyl trim) which made the top of the dash, dash pad, column and wheel, visors, seats and doorpanels/arm rests black. Everything was changed back to green on my truck except the column by the PO. I'm in the process of rebuilding and painting my column the proper green. I didn't see an iterior RPO in the SPID pics. Interior codes were 6xx but again, CHeyennes may be treated differently than the lower trim trucks
Wildwagonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
1969Chev

My cst has a black non tilt from the factory. Ive repainted it but it is factory black.
Attached Images