The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2022, 04:48 PM   #26
72 tigger

Re: DMV. Third time isn't a charm

When my wife retires I am so out of California. [/QUOTE]

Don’t move to GA, they’ve instituted a 3% tax on your vehicles when you transfer your out of state title to a GA title. Ran a 2020 GMC 2500 as an example

https://gwinnetttaxcommissioner.publ...toGeorgia.aspx
Attached Images

Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:44 PM   #27
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
When my wife retires I am so out of California.
Don’t move to GA, they’ve instituted a 3% tax on your vehicles when you transfer your out of state title to a GA title. Ran a 2020 GMC 2500 as an example

https://gwinnetttaxcommissioner.publ...toGeorgia.aspx[/QUOTE]

Yikes. I guess no peaches for me. Nowhere to run.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #28
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's ridiculous to fine for letting a tag expire. What is the concern that justifies the fine? Who is being protected by this? Maryland fines you if you let your insurance lapse and you don't turn your tags in. My Harley is sitting with '14 stickers on the plate. I haven't ridden it and haven't renewed registration, but I've kept the insurance up on it. They just recently finally sent me a letter asking about the status of the vehicle. As long as I can show it's been constantly insured it's not a problem.

I get e-mail notifications from them as well as mail. I think I might have had to request to mail option.

Here in Ohio, they have a nifty little scam for that. If you let the registration expire, they will let it go as long as you want (as long as you don't drive it).
The real problem comes when you want to register it again. You get the supreme joy of paying for all of those years it wasn't registered. It could have been undergoing an entire frame-off restoration (totally undriveable all that time) and they don't care at all....pay up. There is only one way around it, you have to "sell it", getting it out of your name. Then you can "buy it back", but they are going to get you for sales tax each time, so the bastards win either way.

The government is just a device for fleecing the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #29
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Here in Ohio, they have a nifty little scam for that. If you let the registration expire, they will let it go as long as you want (as long as you don't drive it).
The real problem comes when you want to register it again. You get the supreme joy of paying for all of those years it wasn't registered. It could have been undergoing an entire frame-off restoration (totally undriveable all that time) and they don't care at all....pay up. There is only one way around it, you have to "sell it", getting it out of your name. Then you can "buy it back", but they are going to get you for sales tax each time, so the bastards win either way.

So you need to keep it registered and insured the whole time ?!

I’ve let registrations go for months . If you go over a year you need to turn in the plates and get new ones before you can register it. Now to cancel your insurance the plates have to be returned to DMV . The one loophole is if the plates are expired you can cancel the insurance. The only time the state fines you is if you have a valid registration and your insurance lapses or canceled

Man you guys put up with a lot of crap in regards to cars .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #30
truckster

When I registered my Blazer after having it expired for seven years the lady at the DMV asked me why it hadn't been registered in so long. I explained that it had been off the road for restoration. She said OK and charged me the current year's registration fee.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #31
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Here in Ontario Canada our fearless leaders dropped having to buy plate stickers after years of having to have them , I think on my truck it was $125 a year .
The things they will do to get reelected !!!
I'm sure they will get it out of us in another way.
I'm sure they will ding us for something.
Just don't forget to renew your plates online when the time comes. And if you drive into the US, take the time to remove the old sticker(s) if it is expired as the expired sticker is enough to get you pulled over even if we no longer need stickers.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #32
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post

Same here. The back fees build up unless you non op it and that costs 25 bucks.

25 bucks not to drive your car.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:51 AM   #33
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My Harley is sitting with '14 stickers on the plate. I haven't ridden it and haven't renewed registration, but I've kept the insurance up on it. They just recently finally sent me a letter asking about the status of the vehicle. As long as I can show it's been constantly insured it's not a problem.

ks is doing this as well, i just bought an antique bmw from its second owner because the state was charging him property tax on "appraised value", where the only "appraisal" is looking online for recent sale prices. they appraised it at 15k and levy was over $500 a year. he hadnt driven it since 1990 and it was just in his shed.

I bought it and titled as an antique, taxes are $18 a year as long as i keep insurance up ($36 yr for an immovable project)

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:45 AM   #34
Richard

Back in 08 I put my 72 on non op, so I thought. Took me 3 years to actually get it on non op with fines every year. I can remember begging and pleading with the person at the dmv to fix the problem. Jumping to present time, wanting to keep ahead of the problems I decided to reregister the truck in 2020. The dmv could not renew my registration. My AAA membership was a lifesaver. They took care of it with phone calls and in about an hour I had the tags in my hand. I recently paid for renewal and got the tags. Appears I am good, at least for now. Ca does not want older vehicles on the road. When the state pays the auto dismantlers more to crush older cars than they can get selling parts we are doomed. Our tax dollars at work.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #35
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Ca does not want older vehicles on the road. When the state pays the auto dismantlers more to crush older cars than they can get selling parts we are doomed. Our tax dollars at work.
So true. They want us out of old cars.

I put maybe 100 miles a year on my old cars. How much pollution am I creating?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
So true. They want us out of old cars.

I put maybe 100 miles a year on my old cars. How much pollution am I creating?
Exactly! A few thousand miles a year is very low on overall impact. By natural process the vehicles people drive every day evolve to newer more fuel efficient/less polluting models. The later 20 years of classics have catalytic convertors, fuel injection, overdrive, as well as other emissions reducing devices.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote