The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #626
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce88 View Post
Now I just need 4 guys to come over and help me load this bed on the truck
I would be right over, if you were not some 2000 miles away

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #627
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
I would be right over, if you were not some 2000 miles away
I'd love to see this truck in person and be able to contribute a tiny part in its' completion

And I was thinking just this week how cool it would look for someone to use the black engineered decking wood to simulate an original style wood floor....and you did it and it's just as cool as I pictured

Last edited by VA72C10; 08-07-2011 at 01:46 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #628
Bruce88

The bed is on the frame
Now just installing some of the things that hang on it like the steps

One item that was not reusable from when I took the truck apart was the braces for the step. I almost had to cut them off but my impact gun did overcome the stripped threads. I don’t know if it was the rust or the over torqued lock nuts that caused the stripped threads, but I was going to need replacements.

I couldn’t find a reproduction part for this brace, so I made some from LMC 38-7368 Fender Center Braces (see picture below). Per the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual the torque for the adjustment lock nuts is 120 – 180 inch lbs and it would be easy to over torque the lock nuts because the treads on the rod are not as strong as a grade 5 bolt. This is more like a grade 0 bolt threads, and I don’t want to strip the threads on my new braces.

Normally this brace can not be seen from the outside, it sits on the fender lip in the wheel well and the bolt holds the step, fender, and brace together.

Name:  Step-1.jpg
Views: 4844
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  Step-2.jpg
Views: 4819
Size:  97.3 KB

I’ve got to clean up the new braces and get some paint on them.

Enjoy your build
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #629
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
The bed is on the frame
Now just installing some of the things that hang on it like the steps

One item that was not reusable from when I took the truck apart was the braces for the step. I almost had to cut them off but my impact gun did overcome the stripped threads. I don’t know if it was the rust or the over torqued lock nuts that caused the stripped threads, but I was going to need replacements.

I couldn’t find a reproduction part for this brace, so I made some from LMC 38-7368 Fender Center Braces (see picture below). Per the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual the torque for the adjustment lock nuts is 120 – 180 inch lbs and it would be easy to over torque the lock nuts because the treads on the rod are not as strong as a grade 5 bolt. This is more like a grade 0 bolt threads, and I don’t want to strip the threads on my new braces.

Normally this brace can not be seen from the outside, it sits on the fender lip in the wheel well and the bolt holds the step, fender, and brace together.

Attachment 786920

Attachment 786921

I’ve got to clean up the new braces and get some paint on them.

Enjoy your build
Bruce, im at this EXACT point now, and i did not even KNOW that there was a brace that went there. Good to know.

If no one is going to step on your stepside, should you worry about this brace?? I have fiberglass rear step fenders.. Let me know please.

Once we get done, we need to get the trucks together just for a stock vs non stock pic. ahaha... Your trucks evil twin.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #630
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Bruce, im at this EXACT point now, and i did not even KNOW that there was a brace that went there. Good to know.

If no one is going to step on your stepside, should you worry about this brace?? I have fiberglass rear step fenders.. Let me know please.

Once we get done, we need to get the trucks together just for a stock vs non stock pic. ahaha... Your trucks evil twin.
It is the way the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual shows the way the step and fender is installed (see picture below). If nobody is going to use the step you probably can get by with out one.

Name:  Step-3.gif
Views: 4761
Size:  33.1 KB

Sounds like a good idea to get together for a picture shoot, but I don’t think you could classify mine as stock. I think this truck probably has an identity crisis brought together thru my mines eye (smile).

Bruce
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #631
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
It is the way the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual shows the way the step and fender is installed (see picture below). If nobody is going to use the step you probably can get by with out one.

Attachment 786971

Sounds like a good idea to get together for a picture shoot, but I don’t think you could classify mine as stock. I think this truck probably has an identity crisis brought together thru my mines eye (smile).

Bruce

I might make those like you did. Just in case the kids decide to hop up on one of the steps... You cant buy that replacement part though huh?

and sold.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #632
Bruce88

Quote:
I might make those like you did. Just in case the kids decide to hop up on one of the steps... You cant buy that replacement part though huh?
I couldn’t find any replacement part for this step brace, but maybe you can.

If you want to make your own, you can have my stripped one as a template. The brace can be made with some mild 3/8 steel rod about 17 inches long. Heat up the one end and do some hammering to flatten it out drill a hole and put a 3/8 die to the other end. I just used the LMC brace so that I didn’t have to do the blacksmith work on the one end.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #633
litew8

Nice markup.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #634
Anthony2010

love this build makes me want to get started on mine
Anthony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #635
Bruce88

One fender on
One to go

Applied two coats of Herculiner to the inside of the fender, then moved onto installing the fender.

Prior to our trucks you would find the factory used fender welt between the fender and bed to seal and give a cushion to prevent the painted surfaces from rubbing together causing wear, the fender would move around slightly during normal flexing of the fender during driving. On the 67 – 72 step sides the factory used some kind of caulking/sealer between the fender and the bed. I couldn’t find out exactly what this compound was, but I remember when I removed the finder there was a sealing compound between the fender and the bed, it was not hard kind of like a clay compound.

I used the 3M Ribbon Sealer, ¼ inch 08610 to seal the fender, after using this product I think I should have used the 3M Strip calk 08578, it would probably be a little easer to use and would seal the area just as good. Both are non-hardening and a butyl rubber compound.

I still have a few spots to clean up some minor squeeze out mainly at about 3 or 4 bolt locations. I found that some wax/grease remover does a good job and will not harm the paint.

Name:  Step-Fender-1.jpg
Views: 4482
Size:  96.0 KB

As you look at the next picture of the forward inside of the fender the question of what that orange hose is doing in there. That’s what I call a high loop for my fuel tank vent system. If your interested the vent system it can be seen better in a prior post #301 & 311 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=13

Name:  Step-Fender-2.jpg
Views: 4470
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  Step-Fender-3.jpg
Views: 4441
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  Step-Fender-4.jpg
Views: 4481
Size:  99.4 KB

Time to be moving onto the other fender installation

Enjoy your build
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #636
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

WOW-what a great job you have done with your project. Your thread has inspired me to plan a step, by step, restoration of my truck when the time comes. I now have also started a list of tools and supplies I will need to get the job done, and more importantly, reflect upon the memories of my Grandfather who owned the truck before me. Like you, he spent his life working as an aircraft mechanic/machinist for Boeing and Northrop, making fighter planes in WWII and later working on the Apollo projects. Listening to your attention to detail and the thinking that goes into the things you did is a mirror to the discipline he practiced. Thanks for sharing your story!

Kind of funny how things come full circle sometimes.
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #637
JFP Motorsports Div

I have never seen such great detail put forth into a project such as yours; awesome job!
JFP Motorsports Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #638
Bruce88

Not everybody’s way of finishing off a stepside
The older stile look of the past showing thru

The 1972 was the last year that a step side was made with what I would call a true step side in the older tradition and stile. The step was actually functional (you could stand on it), they had wood bed floors, and the spare tire was mounted on the side. This is how I remember it from my younger days as a work truck, nothing fancy but functional. Where my truck has been customized in some areas I wanted to incorporate its roots as a work truck and functional and the spare tire on the side helps in one way to say that to me.

How I set up the spare tire mount can be seen on (post #79, 82 & 84) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=4 . All the mount parts have been powder coated and hear are a few pictures of it installed.

Went down and had 5 new tires mounted and balanced on my new rims. P255/60R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires, since I didn’t take the truck down to get the tires put on the truck you will see in the pictures that the tires still have the light blue protective finish on the white lettering (it will be washed off with its first bath) (smile).

A number of things coming together, tire mount, left hand fender and tail light gas filler door.

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-1.jpg
Views: 4279
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-2.jpg
Views: 4280
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-3.jpg
Views: 4288
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-4.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-5.jpg
Views: 4291
Size:  99.0 KB

More pictures than I can post in one post (see continuation post)
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #639
Bruce88

Continuation post for additional pictures

If your interested in how I came up with the tail light/gas door concept (see post #37 & 39) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=2 .

I did have to shorten the filler tube about 1-1/2 inches for it to clear the tail light when it’s closed. A minor adjustment to the plans that can only be finalized when everything comes together (smile)

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-6.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  99.4 KB

The end to assembling all the parts for the build is in sight (smile). No I didn’t forget and leave the lights on in the picture below, it’s just the camera thought it needed to use the flash and the reflective nature of the tail lights light up from it. In fact the wiring for the tail lights is not hooked up and is one of the final things that needs to be done along with making a shroud/cover for the gas filler cap to protect it from the dirt and grime of the inside of the fender.

Name:  Left-Rear-Fender-7.jpg
Views: 4264
Size:  85.0 KB

The truck should be on the road soon, then starts the fine tuning of the parts, like front end alignment and engine for best performance.

Enjoy your build
Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #640
mcbassin
Still Learning

Your truck looks great Bruce! I Had those same wheels on my 77 stepside I love them! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the near complete project. Jobe well done!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #641
Hurst28

I'm really impressed with your build. Very thorough and no shortcuts. And the body shop did a great job as well. What type of wheels did you have to begin with? (with the black centers)
Hurst28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #642
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

The truck looks great Bruce, you have done a fantastic job!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #643
-sean-

Thumbs up Re: It’s Just A Pickup

You better not EVER delete this thread! Because it's going to take me FOREVER to copy everything you have done!

Great attention to detail.
-sean- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #644
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst28 View Post
I'm really impressed with your build. Very thorough and no shortcuts. And the body shop did a great job as well. What type of wheels did you have to begin with? (with the black centers)
I’m not sure of a brand name on the old rims, there just chrome with black centers. They are the same offset and size as the new rims and the tires are the same size as what’s on the truck now.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #645
landarts
landarts

Bruce, once again I say " This build is the BEST! " I have followed it from the beginning and check in and reread areas that are of interest. You are a true craftsman.
68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #646
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

good-goggley-goo! WOW!

I just spent parts of the last two days reading 26 pages of posts and I am impressed with your attention to detail in your postings. I wish I was half as detailed with the models that I build and documented on my website.

My question is actually non-truck related. What camera are you using to take your pics? I like the clarity of your pics.

Mike

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #647
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoncrewcab View Post
good-goggley-goo! WOW!

I just spent parts of the last two days reading 26 pages of posts and I am impressed with your attention to detail in your postings. I wish I was half as detailed with the models that I build and documented on my website.

My question is actually non-truck related. What camera are you using to take your pics? I like the clarity of your pics.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the picture complements, I try to generate the best clarity so that everyone going thru this thread can feel like their hear seeing it in person.

I’m not a photographer and I can’t say that it’s all due to the camera. I’m using a Canon Power Shot A630 and found it set to 180 pixels per inch works for me along with a shop drop light aiding to light up some darker areas. I take 2 to 4 pictures of an area and keep the best one to modify/enhance with Adobe Photoshop. There are so many ways to take a less than sharp picture and make it more clear/sharp within Photoshop (and I’m learning more everyday).

All I can say is take your pictures with a high pixel setting and maybe from different distances along with some added light where needed. Then use a good imaging software to improve its quality and sharpness. After you’ve made the picture as good as you like, then size the picture for the format that you’re going to present it on. I convert mine to 72 pixels per inch with a 640 max pixel width and 100KB JPEG size max for this web thread.

Hope this helps you out, I don’t think it’s just the camera it’s a combination of things.

Bruce
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #648
lyrikz
PITbut

Bruce, just want to show you, im about 95% done on the outside. Thanks for the help and the seat/ and belts.

and sold.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #649
Bruce88

Quote:
Bruce, just want to show you, im about 95% done on the outside. Thanks for the help and the seat/ and belts.

Looking good, thanks for the pic

It’s been about two weeks since I checked out your build thread, you’re moving right along.

I’m having second thoughts about putting our two trucks together for a photo shoot, mine is such a plain Jane compared to yours (smile), build well done.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #650
indyracer

WOW!!!

I just read this entire thread and when I got to the end of it I noticed that my pants were off and my Rubik's Cube had solved itself.

Amazing, just amazing. Now I am going to just scrap everything related to my truck and take up knitting.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

1970 Chevy CST10 (Green)
2005 Silverado Z71
2000 Pontiac Bonneville
indyracer is offline   Reply With Quote