The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2022, 12:20 AM   #1001
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

a few minutes with the media ablastin' cabinet
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:24 AM   #1002
Gregski
Post Whore

and what do we have here if not Mr. Dirty Harry himself
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2022, 12:36 AM   #1003
Gregski
Post Whore

nothing to see here, just erecting a powder room

these are going to be gray to add some contrast so that everything aint just black
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2022, 01:44 AM   #1004
jimbosprint

FRLCASRF. You crack me up.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:41 AM   #1005
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
also plugged the two fuel line holes in the bottom of the cab
Now we know you are serious.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #1006
Gregski
Post Whore

so here we go

Powder Coating Top Tip (PCTT) do a dry run, what I mean by this is hang up your parts to powder coat than take them down (whilst wearing gloves so you don't burn yourself) and carry them over to the oven while it's off and cold, and see if you can hang them up, actually hang them up, this is where you find out you forgot to remove the bottom tray to give your parts room to hang, this is where you find out your wire hooks are pointing the wrong way, this is where you find out you need to cut some slots out from the grate to make it easier to hang them parts, etc. etc.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #1007
Gregski
Post Whore

naturally the instructions contradict themsevles, the bags of powder say pre heat the oven to 450°F whilst the gun instructions say only 400°F

then you supposed to bake them for 20 minutes

the key I learned is you want your air compressor on the lowest possible PSI cupid feets per minute type of thing [total and complete opposite what I bought my turbo diesel two stroke V twin air compressor for, aka media blasting, but I managed somehow]

but what evs, so I won't lie to you I touched the parts with my big @ss bulky gloves here and there and wiped off the powder coat a tad while hanging them up in the oven, but the nice thing is you can recoat over the current coat, so I might touch them up some, (probably not)

and yes now that the truck is going to be electric we are gonna run triple lower control arms !!!
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #1008
OneOffStroker

I powdercoat all the time, and I can say that unless you get it free, Eastwood is not your friend in the PC game. Does their stuff technically get powder on your parts? Sure. That's about the extent of it. I am biased though, since I stepped up from an Eastwood gun to other stuff, and have had the luck to use actual commercial-grade pro equipment.

For powder, if you are going to continue to get further into the game, I highly recommend Prismatic Powders. They have full tech sheets that give ALL the specs on the powder, as well as cure times.

Ah, cure times...that's where Eastwood craps the bed as well. Don't just "bake for 20 minutes" because you may not get a full cure, and I suspect that your lower shafts did not get a full cure. The PART has to get to 400 degrees, and then you should start your timer while holding it at that temp. Most polyester powders cure at 10-12 minutes once the part is at full temp. I doubt that those thick lower shafts got to a full 400 degrees in only 10 minutes in a household oven, meaning they probably didn't get the 10-12 minute PMT (Part Metal Temperature) cure that they need.

The link in my signature to my YouTube channel has a playlist called "Powder 101" where I show tips and tricks to successfully powdercoat several automotive projects like brake calipers, valve covers, wheels, and even building a cheap booth for spraying.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #1009
oldgymnast

I've followed most of your builds and find you hysterical. Keep up the good work. I agree with what OneOffStroker said (except the Eastwood will do just fine for a beginner). The part needs to get up to temp before you start the timer. If you watch a lot of the Powder 101 you will also see that you don't put a second coat on if you do a full cure on the first coat because the powder has nothing to cling to. My suggestion from when I used a household oven and still do for small parts is use needle nose pliers to put the parts in and out of the oven and ditch the gloves (Less chance of touching the part). Otherwise have fun and I'm sure you will read a lot and get better as you go. Thanks for your entertainment.
oldgymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #1010
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgymnast View Post
I've followed most of your builds and find you hysterical. Keep up the good work. I agree with what OneOffStroker said (except the Eastwood will do just fine for a beginner). The part needs to get up to temp before you start the timer. If you watch a lot of the Powder 101 you will also see that you don't put a second coat on if you do a full cure on the first coat because the powder has nothing to cling to. My suggestion from when I used a household oven and still do for small parts is use needle nose pliers to put the parts in and out of the oven and ditch the gloves (Less chance of touching the part). Otherwise have fun and I'm sure you will read a lot and get better as you go. Thanks for your entertainment.
thanks, yeah I should have mentioned it's 20 minutes from the time it gets back up to 400° F my bad
Old 06-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #1011
Gregski
Post Whore

so here's that busted up passenger side cab corner with sum pink mud on it
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #1012
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
I powdercoat all the time, and I can say that unless you get it free, Eastwood is not your friend in the PC game. Does their stuff technically get powder on your parts? Sure. That's about the extent of it. I am biased though, since I stepped up from an Eastwood gun to other stuff, and have had the luck to use actual commercial-grade pro equipment.

For powder, if you are going to continue to get further into the game, I highly recommend Prismatic Powders. They have full tech sheets that give ALL the specs on the powder, as well as cure times.

Ah, cure times...that's where Eastwood craps the bed as well. Don't just "bake for 20 minutes" because you may not get a full cure, and I suspect that your lower shafts did not get a full cure. The PART has to get to 400 degrees, and then you should start your timer while holding it at that temp. Most polyester powders cure at 10-12 minutes once the part is at full temp. I doubt that those thick lower shafts got to a full 400 degrees in only 10 minutes in a household oven, meaning they probably didn't get the 10-12 minute PMT (Part Metal Temperature) cure that they need.

The link in my signature to my YouTube channel has a playlist called "Powder 101" where I show tips and tricks to successfully powdercoat several automotive projects like brake calipers, valve covers, wheels, and even building a cheap booth for spraying.
thank you, much appreciate the detailed advice, I think of Eastwood only as a smidgeon above Harbor Freight, so yes this is a one and done setup
Old 06-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #1013
Gregski
Post Whore

Yes it's California
Yes it's June
Yes we are in a drought
... and here I am trying to clean up the garage in preparetion to paint the cab

Yes it rained today !!!

Fun Level: 0
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #1014
SRU1436

Quote:
I turned 50 and went to New Orleans to celebrate, rumor has it the authorities may or may not be still searching for us....
Happy Birthday. I’m digging the truck and enjoy following the thread. My son goes to Sac State.
SRU1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:22 PM   #1015
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRU1436 View Post
Happy Birthday. I’m digging the truck and enjoy following the thread. My son goes to Sac State.
Cool thanks, what's his major?
Old 06-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #1016
Gregski
Post Whore

so picked up some more paints, and got the garage spick n span
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 11:36 PM   #1017
Gregski
Post Whore

this is somewhere in the middle of the two hour process
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #1018
Gregski
Post Whore

eight 15 oz cans later
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 11:39 PM   #1019
Gregski
Post Whore

the floor and behind the seat will be coated with SEM rubberized undercoating next, that might give us some sound deadening

Note: the floor right now is just coated with overspray powder that ought to should wipe off
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2022, 12:26 AM   #1020
SRU1436

Quote:
Cool thanks, what's his major?
He is majoring in history.
SRU1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #1021
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRU1436 View Post
He is majoring in history.
cool that was our sons major too before switching to English, they should talk, our son jokes that you're not a History buff unless your favorite country is one that no longer exists type of thing
Old 06-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #1022
8man

Nice paint work. Can't believe you complained about a little rain.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #1023
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Nice paint work. Can't believe you complained about a little rain.
ha ha, well I forgot I left one lower control arm outside, yes it was already media blasted so now it surface rusted, great !
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-07-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #1024
Gregski
Post Whore

then it was time to use this SEM rubberized coating on the floor and back wall
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-07-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:31 PM   #1025
Gregski
Post Whore

so I should have been cleaning the fourth lower control arm, but instead I decided to clean, polish and desticker this chrome rear bumper, yes the one I decided I am not going to use and run a rollpan instead

folks, I wasn't going to hang up a dirty rear bumper covered in stickers in my garage for a couple years before I decide to finally sell it on Craigslist, I'm not an idiot!
Attached Images