The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #126
Dinos63
chevy only

Re: My own build thread

WHOA!! you have been busy kat nice work i know sanding the inside of that cab sucked
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #127
zippeay

Thanks Dino, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this stupid insulation stuff off under the dash. It's like almost like tar, I'm not sure if that is what the OEM used or the PO used it but its a ***** to get get off. Considering its under the dash I may just leave it. I haven't decided yet.

As for the guy asking about the chains, they won't cover the lights and I may put a Mar-K latch system in but I have to research that some more to see the pros and cons of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #128
gimmy 64

i went with the mar-k tail gate and latch assembly. a bit pricey but well worth the money. very nice product and only took about an hour to install by myself. i think as much work that you have put into this truck it would be very nice on your truck. oh and two 200 plus guys can sit on it and no flex or bends. and i think your truck is bada$$
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #129
zippeay

Ok, I ordered the Mar-K latches. Should be here this week I hope. I've been real busy sanding on the cab and smoothing everything out. There was a lot more than I thought and I'm still not done.
There's some minor things I will have to fill with glazing putty but most of the body work is finished inside the cab.
I got all the firewall holes that I'm not using filled and smoothed as well as the inside of the cab. Now I have to seam seal all the edges for the floor pans and all the gaps around the cab then high build.
Once that's done I can sand everything with some 600-800 and paint this damn thing.
Here are the pics, I cut out the bottom gas tank brackets and smoothed the back of the cab. I plan on making a speaker box eventually but I still wanted it to look nice.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to use holes saws... Or drill bits... Or work on cars...

I think they tried to put a VCR in here... I have to recut the hole once I get a new deck and I plan I using one of the decks that looks stock but uses modern stuff like iPod jacks etc. then I will recut the hole like I would have been.

We got some awesome wood grain stickers here! Lol

All stripped!

Here's everything primed

No more stickers

Sorry it's been slow going lately, I started school again so I don't have nearly the time I did... I just hope I can get this painted in the next few weeks. I just need to finish a little body work on the rear of the cab where I patched it then I we can get some paint on this thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #130
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy 64 View Post
i went with the mar-k tail gate and latch assembly. a bit pricey but well worth the money. very nice product and only took about an hour to install by myself. i think as much work that you have put into this truck it would be very nice on your truck. oh and two 200 plus guys can sit on it and no flex or bends. and i think your truck is bada$$
Thanks bro!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #131
dr69burb

Damn dude you have been busy. It looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #132
Jmorales3181

That looks like it was fun,looks good thought.getting closer!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #133
McMurphy

That really does look exceptionally good!
I like how you took out those two fuel cell pedestals too, I almost wish I had done that as well.

Looking real good there sir !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #134
zippeay

Thank you everyone, I've been so busy with school and my wife was in a car accident about a month ago and I haven't had a lot of time for this. My wife is fine, she got banged up a bit but she's ok, the bad thing is I bought her a new car and it only last 3 weeks... Good news is its fixed now, only took a month and 10k in damages... Grrr don't text and drive! Some kid rear ended her at a stop light going about 40... Scary!

Anywho... I finally finished the body work on the cab, I seam sealed everything and primed the rest of the cab. Now I have to high build the cab and block everything out. I also need to install the MARk latch system and do a a few minor things to he bed. Once that's done and we finish blocking it out I can finally paint this damn thing...
It's been WAY too long, I just want to get it finished. I can't wait to see how this thing looks painted and put together.
Hopefully I will get my bumpers and grill back before I get the rest together. That shouldn't be a problem though because there is a lot to put together on this.
Thanks for being patient, I really wish I would have waited another semester but, the semester is over half way done so I should be ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #135
zippeay

Spent most of the weekend fixing the tailgate and I installing the MarK hidden latches and trailing arms. Took me a bit to figure out how to mount all the brackets but I got figured out. I probably should have bought a new tailgate but considering how much I've already put in this stupid truck I needed to cut a few things... This tailgate has seen better days but it should look ok when I'm done.
I only took pictures of the latches but I will post more of the whole tailgate later this week.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but the good news is everything works good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #136
Dinos63
chevy only

ton of nice work!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #137
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
ton of nice work!!
Thanks, Dino! Every week I think "this weekend we'll paint it", I work my butt off and still find a million things to fix... I've given up making deadlines, my old man wants to kill me... This should have been out of his shop months ago. The sad part is I haven't been slacking really I just have a ton to do.

I don't know how you turn these out so quick Dino, well I'm sure you're smart enough to buy a truck you don't have to almost build from scratch... I tried telling my old man that we should have spent more for a rust free truck but... We didn't, lesson learned! Lol
I just hope all this work will be worth it in the end...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #138
zippeay

Ok so, I finally found some time today to get some stuff done, I have finals for collage next week and I'm taking the summer off so this truck should be put together within the next month "I hope". I used truck bed liner to under coat the cab today and filled the notches for the tail gate hooks. I also primed the rest of the bed and the tailgate so I'm finally getting really close to painting something...
I apologize to everyone for taking so long but hopefully it will be worth all this work.
Here is where I filled those indents for the tail gate latches.

Here's the bottom of the floor. I've never shot this stuff but it was super easy to do. However, make sure you pay attention to what's behind where ever you spray. This stuff shoots way farther than I thought. I had to wipe it off my doors, the bed, the front end... But other than that it went easy.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #139
zippeay

Today's progress
Truck bed lines the inside of the bed and undercoated the inner and outter fenders. Sorry for the crappy pics "not that undercoating is exciting but the pics still suck"...

Depending on how much more we have to prep on the inside of the cab we may lay down the paint on the inside. It's been weeks since I've looked at the inside so it all depends if the high build filled in all the sanding scratches. If it didn't then I might be a long day of sanding... Hopefully it covered well enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #140
shortbed70

What did you use to strip your interior? Looks awesome!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #141
zippeay

I mostly used fiberglass stripping disks from harbor freight. One of the few things I've bought from HF an actually liked. I can't remember what brand they are but they work really well and fit on most electric grinders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #142
zippeay

I didn't get to squirt any paint but we did make some good progress. There were more small things that needed to be fixed in the cab than I thought but I fixed most of it and tomorrow we we high build one more time then paint. I have my last final on weds then its go time and I should have this fully painted either next weekend or the week after for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #143
dr69burb

Damn brotha great work. Its going to look so bad ass painted. Keep up the great work man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #144
zippeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr69burb View Post
Damn brotha great work. Its going to look so bad ass painted. Keep up the great work man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, I sure hope it turns out well. It should but I always get nervous before I paint a car/truck. It usually turns out well but with painting, even when you do everything right sometimes things go wrong. I will just have to cross my fingers. I'm really excited to see some color on this thing. I should get some if not all of it painted by this weekend. That's the plan anyway, lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #145
Jmorales3181

Hope you are able to get ur stuff painted.... Def know the feeling of being so close to paint and wanting to make everything as perfect as possible...being a perfectionist is sometimes my biggest downfall. I just like the feeling of completion and knowing you did your best. Can't wait to see your truck all painted up and come together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #146
Dinos63
chevy only

Slick kat!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #147
socaljess

nice job bro that pic of the inside cab all primed up looks sweet
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #148
zippeay

Thanks everyone, I just took one of my finals and it sucked... I'm pretty sure I passed but the good news is now after tomorrow I can spend all the time I can on this thing. The chromer called and said my bumpers and grill should be done this week or early next week. It wil be so bad ass if I can put it together next week. I still have to figure out the motor, I have a plain old 350 in my parts truck. That's probably going in because I can't afford to build my Sbc 400 like I wanted to. That will have to happen later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #149
zippeay

Well... I ended up having to do more homework on Sunday and I didn't get as far as I would have liked. However I did make some progress. I painted the core support and the inner fenders black.

And the hinges and springs

I also truck bed lined the floor, I wasn't going to do this but the carpet will cover it and I think it will give some more protection from moisture etc. The picture makes it looked too light but its fully covers

I also truck bed lined the inside of the tailgate, I wish I would have had more money to get a new tailgate because this one was pretty rough. We pulled it out and fixed most of the dents but the inside was pretty hammered because this was a farm truck. I am going to paint over this with the dark color so it should look good.

I blocked out 90% of the cab yesterday... I have no skin left on my fingers... Lol I forgot how bad block sanding sucks. But our plan is to finish sanding tonight and paint the inside of the cab and the door jams tomorrow. I'm so happy we are getting this painted finally. I just hope my fingers are going to make it through this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #150
zippeay

Oh and the chrome should be finished the 24th! I wanted to spend all this weekend painting but its my daughters Bday on Sunday, hopefully I can still find some time to make progress.
Posted via Mobile Device