The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #101
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: '60-'62 POwer Brake Booster Adapter Bracket With A Clutch

Already done.......

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=652871

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
Do you have any plans on making a kit that will fit a 67?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #102
par4tom

Captain,
I purchased your adapter bracket a couple of years ago, and just recently got the truck out and running a bit...

Problem is, my clutch seems out of adjustment.

The clutch pedal starts about a 1" below the level of the brake pedal, but I have to almost get it entirely to the floor before the throwout bearing engages fully...and then when I am entirely to the floor with the pedal, sometimes the clutch just doesn't seem to be fully engaged. Its not that the truck is moving, but it does sound like there is still a bit of engagement.

Assume I am starting a square one and would like to have the clutch fully engage and disengage with as little travle of the pedal as possible, how would you suggest I go about "fine tuning" the problem. Would you start from the slave and move back, or start at the pedal and move to the slave.

Thank you,
Tom

PS - Great product! Was the perfect solution to what I wanted to do...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #103
PLYONS11

Captain. Got the package today. Very impressed! you are quite a craftsman. High quality piece! Won't be getting to this project for a couple month, but I can't wait to see it all put together.

I still need to decide which master and booster I'm going to use as well as find the smaller return spring for the clutch pedal. Has anyone Been able to find one of these after market or OEM replacement? I have been to 3 yards that have early 60's trucks on hand and no luck. The springs are all missing. I'm wondering if I can't just find a spring somewhere that I can make work for this application.
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 AM   #104
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the compliment

I'll try and remember to look at the shop tomorrow and see if I might have a spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYONS11 View Post
Captain. Got the package today. Very impressed! you are quite a craftsman. High quality piece! Won't be getting to this project for a couple month, but I can't wait to see it all put together.

I still need to decide which master and booster I'm going to use as well as find the smaller return spring for the clutch pedal. Has anyone Been able to find one of these after market or OEM replacement? I have been to 3 yards that have early 60's trucks on hand and no luck. The springs are all missing. I'm wondering if I can't just find a spring somewhere that I can make work for this application.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #105
PLYONS11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Thanks for the compliment

I'll try and remember to look at the shop tomorrow and see if I might have a spring.
Captain,

Just thought I would post in case anyone else was looking, but I actually found the smaller return spring on ebay for less than 10 bucks shipped. There are many sellers that offer this spring.

Here is one link. It is a bit more expensive than the one I purchased tho.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1966-Ch...c8ca24&vxp=mtr

I pulled the larger spring and installed with one similar to this. It may not in fact be the factory specs, but it works. It is a significantly lighter spring than the large one I removed. Made the pedal a lot lighter.
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #106
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for posting the link to the spring.

Sorry, I've just been very busy and somewhat forgot to look for this spring for you. I'm glad you found one.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #107
vetnat

Hi Captain.
Newbie here. I have a 1962 Canadian GMC half ton. I am just getting started with putting disc brakes in the front. I would like to order one of your brackets, powder coated black.

My plan is to order the 6 lug disc brake conversion kit from Performance on Line, which I believe is based on the 73 to 87 years. Have you heard good or bad things about this kit? I got a booster from a 1997 Chev 1500, and am hopefully getting a master cylinder out of a 73 to 87. Do you know if that cylinder will fit with that booster? Does that sound like a good plan?

As for the bore size of the clutch slave, I don't know how to tell. I took some pictures on the weekend, but don't know how to post them. The engine is a 235 6 cylinder, and a three on the tree.

Any comments on my plan would be most welcome. How do I go about ordering the bracket from you?

Thanks.
vetnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #108
vetnat

My attempt at attaching images.
Attached Images

vetnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 AM   #109
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry but I do not know anything about that kit from POL. I am not in the business of building trucks for others. There are members here on the forum that I am sure have purchased that kit that can give their review of the parts. Just post up a thread asking that question in the '60-'66 message forum.

The '97 1500 booster is one of the many many compatible brake boosters, so yes that will work as well as bolting up a '73-'87 master cylinder.

The stock slave cylinder requires a clutch master with a 1" bore. I believe I have one of those in stock, but I will have to verify that tomorrow when I get to my shop.

I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetnat View Post
Hi Captain.
Newbie here. I have a 1962 Canadian GMC half ton. I am just getting started with putting disc brakes in the front. I would like to order one of your brackets, powder coated black.

My plan is to order the 6 lug disc brake conversion kit from Performance on Line, which I believe is based on the 73 to 87 years. Have you heard good or bad things about this kit? I got a booster from a 1997 Chev 1500, and am hopefully getting a master cylinder out of a 73 to 87. Do you know if that cylinder will fit with that booster? Does that sound like a good plan?

As for the bore size of the clutch slave, I don't know how to tell. I took some pictures on the weekend, but don't know how to post them. The engine is a 235 6 cylinder, and a three on the tree.

Any comments on my plan would be most welcome. How do I go about ordering the bracket from you?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #110
concretekiller

Good morning Captain Fab. I have a couple of questions for you;

1. Has anyone ever had the threaded rod bend and break that goes between the clutch pedal eyelet and the cantilever piece?
2. Has anyone ever had the lower bolt that goes through the master cylinder, firewall, and into the aluminum threaded bracket break?
3. Has anyone ever had the master cylinder rod bend?

The reason I ask is that all three of these have happened to me. I replaced the firewall bolt once and the threaded rod once already, and they have both bent and broken again. The master cylinder is the same bore as the slave cylinder, and the slave cylinder came as a hydraulic clutch kit from novak (http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/clutch/kit_hcrc.htm). Any insight as to the issues at hand?
concretekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #111
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have not heard of any of those things happening to any of my customers. There should not be that much pressure on those parts. Do you have one of my kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretekiller View Post
Good morning Captain Fab. I have a couple of questions for you;

1. Has anyone ever had the threaded rod bend and break that goes between the clutch pedal eyelet and the cantilever piece?
2. Has anyone ever had the lower bolt that goes through the master cylinder, firewall, and into the aluminum threaded bracket break?
3. Has anyone ever had the master cylinder rod bend?

The reason I ask is that all three of these have happened to me. I replaced the firewall bolt once and the threaded rod once already, and they have both bent and broken again. The master cylinder is the same bore as the slave cylinder, and the slave cylinder came as a hydraulic clutch kit from novak (http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/clutch/kit_hcrc.htm). Any insight as to the issues at hand?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #112
concretekiller

Yea, this is your kit.
concretekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #113
koolkat269

How do I order one?

Quote:
If you have a manual transmission in your truck and also want power brakes, this is what you need. This bracket is fabricated from laser cut 10ga. mild steel and fits 1960-62 Chevy and 1960-63 GMC pickups, Suburban and Panels and is 100% bolt on using holes already in your firewall. The booster side of the bracket has a 3 3/8" x 3 1/2" hole pattern. Boosters with this pattern are commonly found on S10's and full size pickups from 1988 to at least 1998, Suburbans, Blazers and Tahoes from 1992 to at least 1998. You can also find compatable boosters on early to mid 70's Impalas and Caprices. Of course you will have to join the booster pushrod to your stock MC pushrod that attaches to your brake pedal. This can be done by either threading both ends and using a coupling nut, or by just welding them together once you determine the correct length.

For the hydraulic clutch master, this is setup to use a readily available Wilwood master cylinder. To install the master cylinder you will have to drill (2) 11/32" holes for the mounting bolts, and a 1 1/2" hole (with a hole saw) to accomodate the center of the master cylinder. The supplied standoff simply bolts to your brake pedal using an existing hole. Then the pushrod and heim joint screw onto the clutch master pushrod on one end and to bolts to the standoff on the other end.

This adapter plate kit contains the adapter plate with mounting hardware, the standoff, pushrod and heim joint with related hardware and the Wilwood master cylinder. The cost on this is $207.50 plus the flat rate shipping cost of $16.90. As with my other brake booster brackets, you can add powder coating for an additional $8.50. Satin black is a normally stocked color, but other colors are available.

Please see posts #33, #43 & #44
koolkat269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #114
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I will send you a PM with ordering and payment info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat269 View Post
How do I order one?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #115
62chevy302
hillbilly

If i use a 88-98 booster will a 73-87 master cylinder work right and bolt to the booster?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #116
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that will all bolt together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62chevy302 View Post
If i use a 88-98 booster will a 73-87 master cylinder work right and bolt to the booster?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #117
koolkat269

has anyone have this happen to them?
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #118
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have not heard of anyone with an issue like that. How many miles do you have on it? How long ago did you buy the kit from me?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #119
koolkat269

Quote:
I have not heard of anyone with an issue like that. How many miles do you have on it? How long ago did you buy the kit from me?
4-6 weeks ago, around 300 miles. Iwas still getting grinding and difficulty shifting into 1st and reverse so I adjusted the linkage out someand it snapped the first time I tried to push the clutch in.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #120
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'll have to check and see what the warranty is on those clutch masters.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #121
Auctioneerhere

Will this work on my GMC 2 ton truck? If so what master cyl do you recommend?
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #122
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What year is your GMC? Does it have a hydraulic clutch? Are you keeping the manual trans and hydraulic clutch? I assume it still has all 4 drum brakes? I'm not sure if a '80's Class B motorhome master will work with a drum/drum brake system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auctioneerhere View Post
Will this work on my GMC 2 ton truck? If so what master cyl do you recommend?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #123
Auctioneerhere

Quote:
What year is your GMC? Does it have a hydraulic clutch? Are you keeping the manual trans and hydraulic clutch? I assume it still has all 4 drum brakes? I'm not sure if a '80's Class B motorhome master will work with a drum/drum brake system.
It is a 64-66 cab w/ an older 61 perhaps frame 2 ton, so yes 4 drum brakes.

Front suspension is a torsion bar set up. motor home is a good idea, I suppose I can look at what a newer 2 on has for a braking system also.
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #124
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If the cab originally had a hydraulic clutch, then this bracket and kit is what you will need. If it did not originally have a hydraulic clutch, you will need the conversion kit that I make for the '63-'66's

Another thought is, you may be able to use a master for a '67-'72? C60. Those should be a dual reservoir and designed for drum/drum brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auctioneerhere View Post
It is a 64-66 cab w/ an older 61 perhaps frame 2 ton, so yes 4 drum brakes.

Front suspension is a torsion bar set up. motor home is a good idea, I suppose I can look at what a newer 2 on has for a braking system also.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #125
60n60Apache

Hey Captainfab,

I want to get one 60-62 Power Brake Booster Adapter Bracket With A Clutch.
And one 60-62 Power Steering Adapter Plate.
60n60Apache is offline   Reply With Quote