The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
HO455
Post Whore

Question Aftermarket parts question.

The question I am throwing out for debate is, in this present age of vast computing power, advanced manufacturing technology, and having the benefit of 40 plus years of experience are there any aftermarket parts out there that are actually better than the factory part they replace? And why is it a better part? What problem has it solved?

I'm not talking about parts that are modernization of a factory part like a Gary Tayman style upgrade of a factory radio, adding delay wipers, or retrofiting a fuel injection system to your truck. I'm talking about a replacement part that is actually better than the original GM piece.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
BigBird05

Re: Aftermarket parts question.

I always try and find a Genuine GM part.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
weim55

My son has done a few 55-57 chevys. We both have noticed exceptional quality and in some cases a step up from original-OEM with items purchased from Danchuk. The company was started decades ago by pair of brothers with a love for the Tri Fives and tool and die experience. Also employed experienced guys with Tri Five restoration.

Oh how I wish a company with a similar model would pop up for the 67-72. The market is certainly a market there for it now........

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Brake shoes and pads? I don't know. I'd have to think long and hard.

But the Tri-5s are from a decade prior, so that's 10 years of factory design upgrading, too. I really feel GM reached a pinnacle with these trucks. The test of time and loyal love by the owners is the proof in the pudding. They treated their owners very well and it didn't go unnoticed. Like getting a pretty girl with a her head together

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
tim_mc

Seals and gaskets are an easy one given the advancement in plastics. On parts, aftermarket transmissions pan comes to mind. I just replaced my TH350 pan with a cast aluminum one with fins and a drain plug, along with a Moroso rubber over steel gasket that is reusable. It's a lot better that the flimsy gasket that came with the pan, and better than cork that absorbs the very fluid it's supposed to seal. The cast pan provides a smooth machined gasket surface for better sealing. The drain plug is for convenience and the fins may improve cooling.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
cebra

Pinion crush sleeve eliminator is a better design than GM had. Other than that I cannot think of anything.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
jeffahart

I think the Advanced Adapters replacement adapter for the NP205/SM465 is actually better. They probably have lots of replacement parts that are better. Thick lightweight aluminum with strength. The Yukon locking hubs are better also. But that's kind of a bit unfair too. Off road performance parts are built extra strong... so I won't start naming axles, gears... ect ect..

j
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
Pinion crush sleeve eliminator is a better design than GM had. Other than that I cannot think of anything.
These things are a godsend. Love crush sleeve eliminators.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I see a difference between aftermarket "replacement" parts and aftermarket "upgrade" parts. Most parts I see listed here are upgrades, so not a fair comparison. Like the transmission pan. All the TH transmissions in vehicles I have owned performed just fine with the original stamped steel pan. These were sold as Chevrolets, not Mercedes Benzs. With budget in mind, these are some of the best built vehicles ever.

In the past I found OEM parts to be better than aftermarket and that's how I ended up buying up N.O.S. The things I found better than OEM were the typical service parts, like brake shoes/pads, plug wires, and I always used Standard Ignition's "Blue Streak" parts for tune-up. You could argue even those parts were upgrades. I have always stuck with AC spark plugs. Unless I was upgrading, I'd use GM parts to get the service I did from the original parts. I've had plenty of upgrade parts not hold up as well as the OEM as well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #10
toolboxchev

The term "Meets or Exceeds OEM" recommendation comes to mind. I posed this question to a local Napa on some brake shoes for a 3/4 ton application for both front and rear.

GM OEM spec is and was bonded riveted.

Napa hands me some bonded shoes.

Napa responds, the glues they use are of a higher quality than 50 years ago. Which of course is very believable.

What I do not believe is that if I am coming down a mountain towing or fully loaded is that any type of modern glue is going to hold when that lining starts burning.

Watch out for the type of lining you buy. The OEM spec for the drum or disk for that matter has to be able to withstand the lining material.

Metals, on the other hand, have come a long way. They can be stronger, yet more brittle. I like to keep my truck stock and some cheap brands have been able to modernize their manufacturing.

Just recently I found from outer bearings for 5 bucks apiece, instead of 40 for Timken. So far so good, The Timkens held for 12 years when I first acquired my truck.

Moog problem solver line for suspension is a great example of redesigning factory replacement parts. It is proven with them, having been around for a while.

Be careful with new technologies, some are not worth a dime. Products that are proven through reputation is the methodology I stick with.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:14 AM   #11
Astro-Balls

Chrysler has improved the Turbo Encabulator.

https://youtu.be/MXW0bx_Ooq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #12
toolboxchev

That is Funny! I am still chucklin. I cant wait for the next episode, no doubt that cig light was workiing at one point with all the funny stuff they were smokin!

For some reason when I saw you responded to this thread I instictively knew it was going somewhere!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
DennisP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro-Balls View Post

https://youtu.be/MXW0bx_Ooq4
Thats some good stuff there! I saw the original years ago and still use the reciprocating dingle arm talk when trying to explain mechanical stuff to coworkers.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro-Balls View Post
Thanks for posting. I learned a lot I never knew. I learned so much new terminology my head is spinning. I never knew there was so much to all of this. I feel so much smarter now I think I could design a car by myself!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-07-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
HO455
Post Whore

So it would seem that out of the thousands of replacement/ reproduction parts for our trucks that the only ones that are in some way better than the originals are the ones that have multiple applications, like brake pads, and drive train parts. So it appears that 67-72 truck specific parts are at best, equal to the 1960's GM design of the part and likely to be a substitute of some lesser quality.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Gigem

I certainly believe that parts COULD be made now that are better than OEM, but I don't believe any parts are made better for financial reasons...
1972 Chevelle SS Convertible (gone)
1973 Chevy Corvette (gone)
1967 Chevy Camaro (STOLEN!)
Gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The rebuild kit for the heater/AC controls. It has steel arms instead of pot metal and they are far better than the OEM. Turn signal cams are better plastic and seem to last longer. Almost all rewire kits have better insulation. Most of the stuff on these trucks was fine and doesn't need tweaking but these are a few I noticed. I think the biggest thing is better materials.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #18
tj1970cst

I got a few feet of 5/8 heater hose at my favorite parts plus that must be porus. It sweats coolant.

Speaking of aftermarket parts.......

I went to advance auto to pick up a few things for swapping my cam, intake, and heads out.

Dude that worked there was nice, but sheesh.

He couldn't understand I wanted 8 champion rc12yc spark plugs, but would not tell him what vehicle they were for (1970 c10). I explained he cannot use that lookup, because I am putting heads on it that did not come on it.

He couldn't find 3/8 fuel hose or 5/8 heater hose. He didnt believe me the floor tiles were 12", so 4 floor tiles of hose=4'. He had to walk across the store and find his measure tape.

And finally, he couldn't ring up 3' of fuel line and 4' of heater hose. He kept scanning the box and trying to charge me for 25'.

If his main function was to be polite and prevent theft, he was successful.

I guess I will be using buy online pick up in store more often!
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The rebuild kit for the heater/AC controls. It has steel arms instead of pot metal and they are far better than the OEM. Turn signal cams are better plastic and seem to last longer. Almost all rewire kits have better insulation. Most of the stuff on these trucks was fine and doesn't need tweaking but these are a few I noticed. I think the biggest thing is better materials.
X2 on the Heater controls, The name NEVERPOP seems to come to mind. I have installed one of these kits in my truck.

I did have to use some very small nyloc nuts and recessed allen head minature bolts to get mine done due in part to some of the original steel screws stripping out.

Came out way better.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #20
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigem View Post
I certainly believe that parts COULD be made now that are better than OEM, but I don't believe any parts are made better for financial reasons...
and patents. look at body panals. there HAS to be at least a 20 percent difference from oem. weather it be thickness of material or using oblong holes verses round holes or lack of holes or whatever.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #21
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1970cst View Post
Speaking of aftermarket parts.......
Yup...

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
HO455
Post Whore

This certainly has produced a very short list.
Heater control arms
Replacement wiring harnesses
Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions.
The question now is how do we communicate this to the manufacturers of these parts that we want better quality parts. Not just a cheap imitation.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #23
External

IMHO,
We communicate between ourselves and tell each other the best of the best parts that are out there.
Then we vote with our dollars.