The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
mccormick

1971 K10 - The Phil Harmonic

My dad and i bought this rig about a year ago, and are just starting to do some major work to it so i thought we should start a build thread up. We have tweaked little things here and there since we got the truck but not much worth mentioning..

Plans for the truck originally was a 4" lift and 35's which i researched on here a bit and starting a thread about, and got a lot of good info so thanks to you guys ! we didn't have the money to buy a brand new one quite yet so were going to wait until summer, but i came across a Superlift 6" lift on Kijiji for a really reasonable price and it had never been used.. so i picked that bad boy up. Plans have obviously changed and now we are going 6" lift and 37's..

motor work is going to be fairly minor, probably do a torquer cam in it, high rise, and headers+dual exhaust. it has a decent 350 in it right now, 350 auto tranny and 205 transfer case. thing runs like a dime, odometer shows 70xxx and we don't think it has turned over based on how good of shape the rig is in.

I took some pics tonight on my phone just to add to the post, and we should be getting the lift in pretty soon. waiting to decide what our plan is for rims and tires, and then obviously getting them here could take some time. We live in Saskatchewan, Canada.. so most things coming up from the states take forever.

Her is a pic of the truck..

and a pic of the lift in pieces

We have hub caps off of a 66 1ton that my dad owned back in the day. they are MINT.. only a bit of surface rust on them. we are thinking about getting ahold of some of the stock steel rims that these trucks came with, painting them and the caps up nice and running that with the tires for a stock look. we shall see if that plays out.. here is a pic of one of the caps :
mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Altec
Getcha Pull

Re: 1971 K10 - The Phil Harmonic

What are those wheels that are on there now off of? Kinda like them.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
mccormick

They are the stock rims off of my 2007 FJ Cruiser... when we bought the truck it had some ugly mags on it so we popped those on. same bolt pattern and they look alright so why not
Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Altec
Getcha Pull

Gotcha. Thanks! I thought they looked Toyota, but didn't quite look like what I was used to. Makes sense. I never look at the 40's.
'96 Integra
Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
mccormick

no worries.

went out today searching for rims that the hub caps will fit on.. no luck. checked a wreckers and the only steel chev rims they had all fit the bigger dog dish caps but not ours.. we are going to research a bit more and hopefully find something that will fit them.

starting on the lift kit tomorrow... decided to get it done before we order tires just to see how much the truck actually goes up. we are leaning towards 35's now that we have found some good pictures of trucks with them and also a few with 37's.. the truck is too nice to have to shave any fenders or risk having the tires rub.

I will post a bunch of pics tomorrow of our progress.. excited to do it and all of the underneath of the truck is very clean nothing rusted or worn out so should be able to salvage all the bolts.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
bpeters5814

Very nice truck. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this project for sure!
bpeters5814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
mccormick

Alrighty, got things started tonight.

pretty simple stuff really.. only issues we ran into were the breaklines at the frame didnt wan't to loosen off.. we think there might be a bolt on the back you have to hold to loosen it.. anybody ran into this before??

jacked er up and got the front wheels off.. this is what it was looking like. super clean.. we are super pumped after being under the truck all night to not have found anything bad, but all good. looks like the truck has had some sort of frame off in the past 10-20 years and been taken good care of cause there is zero rust underneath the rig. awesome!

the only issue we have had since day 1 of owning the truck is that it wanders quite a bit on the road and doesn't have very tight steering.. we researched on here and found some good info on how to tighten up the steering box, which helped the looseness factor but something still didnt feel right.. here is a pic of the steering arm that connects to the pitman arm.. it is pretty mangled up.. going to an allignment shop tomorrow to see if they can replace the bearings and insides of it.. hopefully will fix our issues

we found this on the left side of the truck when we were jacking it up.. it was in the way of where we put the jack stands on the other side so we just pulled it off.. looks like some sort of bump stop for the leaf?? i dont think it was stock.. looks like there were just 2 holes drilled and nuts and bolts holding it on. interesting forsure though.

the left side also had this front guard welded onto the leaf spring mount. weird...

heres a pic of the front end when we finished.. both leafs removed and dropped the diff out..

we found it was tough to get a good angle to hammer the old pitman arm off without being able to move the diff around.. so yeah... here is a pic of the new pitman arm on! niceeeee

also took a pic of the engine compartment just because. stock 350 right now.. nothing special but decently clean.

and the best part of the truck, comical rear window sticker we put on this week. getting some angry looks from old ladies but we can shake that off

also a sweet gun rack in the back window.

so anyways, theres all the pics.. and so far the job has gone super smoothly. having the right tools makes it easy too. wish we had a truck lift though!! all of the bolts were mint, nothing rusted on. should be able to use anything we need to again. shocks and leaf springs were mint. u bolts and all of that jazz too.

going to look into the brake hose issue tomorrow, have to get them off so we can take them to a shop and get longer ones made. also hopefully find a shop that can fix the steering arm... other than that we should have the new leafs in tomorrow and wheels back on to roll her around.

i'll check back in when there is news!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Gene

That bracket behind the leaf is for sure factory, mine has it also. And the one that is welded on, mine has also but is not welded, looks like yours has been torn at some point?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
onebadbowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
That bracket behind the leaf is for sure factory, mine has it also. And the one that is welded on, mine has also but is not welded, looks like yours has been torn at some point?
x2 on the brackets they are factory mine has them also

94' Chevy K1500 Extended Cab 4x4 5.7
72' Chevy LWB K10, 350, SM465, NP205 Project "Daily Driver"
onebadbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
mccormick

hmm, i just figured it wasn't factory because the other side didnt have it.. same with the front mount.. and yea the front one looks like it has been tweaked a bit. but i dont know what it should look like if it was perfect. do you have a pic?? maybe i will get some made up for the other side.

also forgot to post some info in the last post..

space between tire and wheel well in the front is 8" and in the back 7 1/2"

truck has 265/70/R17 tires on it right now.. (31.6")

we kind of figure the truck had a bit of a lift on it already. what do you guys think?.. we are just judging by other pictures of stock rigs with 31's that look a lot more stuffed in.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Hey bud, nice project. The brackets that everyone says are stock is correct. They were put there from GM to keep the leaf spring from shooting threw the firewall on a head on collision. They were only put on the driver's side from factory. Trevor

On a side note, just my opinion, if wanting hubcaps, run the correct dog dish caps for the body style. It will look killer on those 35"s. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever

Last edited by 71blksuper4x4; 03-09-2011 at 12:58 AM.
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
mccormick

Thanks for the extra clarified info Trevor, we will definitely remount that bracket when we are done the lift. obviously hope it never has to get used but better safe than sorry.

on the wheel note, i think that is what we have decided to do. we still need to find some stock steel rims, should find out today if the set we found in the city are for sale or not. and then try to track down some 67-72 caps for them.

so if anybody knows where a guy can find some definitely let me know!

progress in the past day hasnt been huge. had to get extended brake lines made, so got those made yesterday and installed them last night.. dad did the greasy work on those. took a really long time and a lot of swearing, so im assuming it wasnt the easiest task. i would suggest anybody that can keep the stock ones to do so . LOL.
also picked up new brake pads and threw those in while everything was apart.. and found a local alignment shop that had the steering link we needed in stock. bingo.
then cleaned up a bit of the diff etc. today we plan to get the whole front end back together so ill throw up some pics later.

we have also been working on painting the tailgate.. it had the woodgrain trim on it, but all the letters were falling off.. so we pulled it off and are painting the chevrolet indented on the tailgate orange with a little black outline. sweeet
Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
MikeJones16

Nice build, Check out Ray at Hardcore Performance for your drivetrain needs.

Last edited by MikeJones16; 03-10-2011 at 12:31 AM.
MikeJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
mccormick

got the lift all installed after a few nights working on it.. we had to re do the back once it was together because we realized we put the leafs on backwards.. but after doing it once it didnt take long.. paps took care of that nicely. anyways, takin the truck up to the tire shop right now to get the 35's mounted and an alignment done.. ill take some pictures and post them. also have some good pics of the new hardware all installed
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
mccormick

welll... got the alignment done and the 35's mounted.. super happy with the tires we got. ordered them and only had seen the picture in the catalogue so didn't know how they would look in person, but turned out sick. super soft too they hook up great.

here is a pic of us leaving the tire shop

here is a couple of pics we took today.. all of these are just with my cell phone so not great quality but haven't had time to track the digital cam down yet.

super happy with the 35's.. lift is perfect height for it all. haha getting a lot of looks in this thing.

here is a pic of the tailgate paint i did.. the "chevrolet" was just blended in white, so thought i would spruce it up a bit with the orange and black outline

haven't really had any issues with the truck since the lift. it actually rides smoother than before... only thing we are getting is a nasty vibration when the truck is in 4wd.. thinking it is probably just U-joints.. i guess only other thing could be the driveshaft being out of balance now that it is stretched out a bit??

we didn't get either lengthened.. not sure what else to try on our own so might have to take it down to the driveline shop monday and they can have a look at it.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
freakshow108

SWEEEEEET! She looks good with the 6" lift on 37s, My son and i are going with a 4" on 35s now we might do the same as yours.
freakshow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
Altec
Getcha Pull

Still digging them 'yota wheels! Simply enough to not stand out, but different enough not to fade away.
'96 Integra
Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
mccormick

thanks altec, thats what we love about them too..

and freakshow... we ended up just going with 35's on our 6 inch lift.. also i bought the lift from a guy off the internet private sale so no real way of telling if its a 4 or 6".. assuming its 6 though the truck is pretty beefy
Old 03-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
Rede

Fantastic looking truck!
Watch for the rust though with the salt/calcium they use on the roads now a days = \

How about these for cheap rims?
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ265299076

I'd scoop them if I was closer
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
hick

I might have missed it but what rims are those on there... I need a set of them...
hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
mccormick

thanks rede, and yea we wash her all the time keeping the road junk off of it. and i think we will keep these rims...

which are rims off my 07 FJ cruiser (hick) .... they are a 17.. i think the tacomas probably have the same ones.. check out toyota forums you can probably find some of them cheap from guys that put aftermarket rims on
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Rede

Is that by chance a 4th gen camaro in the background of this pic?

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/r...10317-1816.jpg

Kinda eerie because there was one just like that on thefboby.com which was owned by two members there, then it was told to someone here in Grande Prairie....I wonder.....
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
mccormick

Yeah its my buddy's camaro.. 1997 SS.. i think its for sale at the moment if anyone is interested haha.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #24
MikeJones16

Ask him If he's interested in a Nitrous Stang.
MikeJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
mccormick

Haven't updated anything on our build for a while, just been driving her and enjoying it!

Snow already came where we live, and I wanted to do some work before winter driving it.

A buddy of mine does some powder coating so decided to get the rims done Black, I always like the look of a black rim better - we'll see how they look on our rig. While the truck is on blocks I thought i'd take advantage of getting under the truck and doing some rust proofing. I do it every year on my FJ cruiser and it holds up nice. Just started sanding the frame and all the steering components to get the surface rust off, then ill spray it down with a product that eats the rest of the rust, then finish by spray bombing it with a rust proof black paint. Takes a long time but worth it in the end.

While I have the grill off to do some of this I figured I would repaint the black on it to spruce it up a bit, and also took the time to do a tint on the roof lights. I'll post pics later this week when everything is done, should look like a new rig!