The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
Superbearcat

Double Wall Blazer Top

Hello,

It has been decades since I have unbolted my top. I am concerned that the bolts may be rusted in place and the fixed nuts will break loose and spin in the fiberglass wall. Are the fixed nuts firmly anchored to steel inside? I have been spraying the bolts ahead of time, does anyone have any advise or experience?
Nice forum, good info, Thanks.
Superbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
1rippen6

Re: Double Wall Blazer Top

Threaded plates are pop riveted in but I'm pretty sure the are recessed in a channel so I don't think they will spin. I think if they are tight the bolt will shear first.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
cleszkie

The nuts are held in place by metal "cages" that are pop riveted to the fiberglass top bed rail. What happens when the nut is rusted to the bolt is that the bolt will turn the nut until the metal arms on the cage are spread open or break off from being rusted and then the nut just spins with the bolt and you are screwed. Your best bet is to keep soaking the nut and bolt and slowly work the bolt counterclockwise and clockwise to slowly clear the threads without spinning the nut. Gradually you will be able to completely remove the bolt if you are patient and a little lucky. If you do get the bolts out, run a tap through the nuts, get new bolts, and use anti-seize next time you reinstall the bolts.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
1rippen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
The nuts are held in place by metal "cages" that are pop riveted to the fiberglass top bed rail. What happens when the nut is rusted to the bolt is that the bolt will turn the nut until the metal arms on the cage are spread open or break off from being rusted and then the nut just spins with the bolt and you are screwed. Your best bet is to keep soaking the nut and bolt and slowly work the bolt counterclockwise and clockwise to slowly clear the threads without spinning the nut. Gradually you will be able to completely remove the bolt if you are patient and a little lucky. If you do get the bolts out, run a tap through the nuts, get new bolts, and use anti-seize next time you reinstall the bolts.
That is the case for the bolt that goes through the sun visor but not the ones on the bed rail. I'm pretty sure I have some cut out, I'll grab a picture tomorrow
Old 01-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
1rippen6

Here is a picture of what it looks like inside the top where it bolts to the top bed rail. I don't think the rivet will break but if they do I don't think the plate will spin much. I know I've had plenty break I just don't remember any spinning.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1rippen6; 01-07-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
cleszkie

1rippen6 - That is good information. I stand corrected. I still recommend a thorough soaking and working the bolt back and forth slowly. You don't want to break the rivets and lose the threaded plate inside the top bed rail. If you do it will be very hard to get a new bolt into it.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
royr

How are you all getting solvent on the threads? Drilling a small hole thru the glass above the bolt or?
royr is offline   Reply With Quote