The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Port vs direct injection

I work graveyard as a glorified security guard, and in a 10 hour shift I usually only have about 4 hours of work to do. So I research things to pass time or watch history videos.

As I have stated before my 307 was improperly rebuilt, and I want to replace it before I have to replace it. So right now I am researching options that may or may not be as ideal as I thought or as economically worth while.

So have any of you guys did a direct injection motor, and wished you just went with port? Or the other way around.

Are the issues with port injection clogging intake valves with carbon over stated?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:58 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Port vs direct injection

I've had both LS and LT engines. Never had had an issue with either. They get a bit more power out of LT with the direct injection. They upped the compression in the 6.2's (I had 2015 Silverado with a 6.2 and currently drive a 2020 Silverado with direct injection a 6.2) so it's get's better mileage. I haven't had a 5.3 with direct injection.
My 20 Silverado at 60 MPH will knock down 20-22 MPG no problem. Both 6.2's were are 4x4's.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:17 PM   #3
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

direct injection is more efficient, but components to fix are more expensive
carbon buildup will be a problem, but, the intakes are easy to remove, but need to clean the ports with tools or walnut blaster

oil catch can if installed right might help some

Lt swap vs Ls swap is way more expensive

question might be, how much do you WANT to spend

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:08 AM   #4
Joyridin

I have an LS in my car and an L83 (LT) in the truck. It is one of those "6 of one have dozen of another" type questions. The LT is more expensive, but the engines are cheaper. Finding a low mileage LS these days is about impossible, or they want a ton of money. You can go crate engine, but they aren't exactly cheap either.

I paid $3800 for the L83 with a 6L trans. They had 30k miles. The cam, lifters oil pan, headers, etc were all about the same price as an LS. The wiring was more. The hard part was finding somebody to tune it correctly as nobody wanted to touch it in a swap vehicle. If I had to do it again, I would probably find an LS variant due to just having a ton more options on cams etc.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
Accelo

The LS engine family is the way to go.
It's true you can get motor power and efficiency using a LT but the price to get them running is likely more than twice the LS family. I just looked into a LT wiring conversion, for a friend, and just the wiring was over $3K. That's without a tune. He plans on running a stock motor, no tune required. Putting the harness money into internals (cam and heads) on a LS will likely get you more power for less money. The holly grail, more reliable power for less money.

The LT engine can run higher compression, which equates to an efficiency boost.
It does this by not injection the fuel till it's required. (Can't detonate if there isn't and fuel in the chamber)
They are cool if you have the deep pockets required to get them running.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The LS engine family is the way to go.
It's true you can get motor power and efficiency using a LT but the price to get them running is likely more than twice the LS family. I just looked into a LT wiring conversion, for a friend, and just the wiring was over $3K. That's without a tune. He plans on running a stock motor, no tune required. Putting the harness money into internals (cam and heads) on a LS will likely get you more power for less money. The holly grail, more reliable power for less money.

The LT engine can run higher compression, which equates to an efficiency boost.
It does this by not injection the fuel till it's required. (Can't detonate if there isn't and fuel in the chamber)
They are cool if you have the deep pockets required to get them running.
$3k? I assume that was some sort of factory original wiring harness or something? I had mine converted for $600. Sent the original harness from the original vehicle and he sent it back about 2 weeks later. It looks brand new and that was with a new fuse box and fan relay set-up.

Really...they are not that much more money. All the mechanical items (cam, liters, pushrods, headers etc.) are pretty close to the same price especially if you stay under a 2019 model. 2019 and later have a locked computer and that will set you back quite a bit to have it unlocked. By the time you find a 120-150k used LS style engine, have it all rebuilt, then still have to go with a harness etc, you could easily dump in a L86 with a 8 or 10 speed trans with 25k miles and be ahead.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #7
LS short box

In regards to the 8 or 10 speed trans option my real world expirience. My 2015 Silverado had the 6.2/8 speed combo. Bought it new. In the winter when it was cold out and the truck was cold the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were always harsh until the truck warmed up. And sometimes cold or warm the down shift as you came up to a stop light was harsh. Had it back to the dealership for updated programming a few times. Never really fixed the issue. Never left me anywhere but annoying. Over on LS1tech.com the 8 speed gets no love at all.
So my current 2020 Silverado with the 6.2/10 speed combo is sweet. In the normal mode the trans shifts like butter. If you go to the sport mode the shifts are a bit more sharp and move up on the rpm a bit.
I could be wrong but I'm thinking all direct injection 5.3/6.2's have VVT and DOD.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #8
Accelo

The motor is a 2017 LT1 from a Camaro with the 8 speed transmission. Joyriding called it the price was the set up from GM.
Who the the motor harness for you?

Some more information I dug up on the EcoTec3 Engine Family.

The EcoTec3 engine family features three state-of-the-art technologies:
Direct injection
Cylinder deactivation
Continuously variable valve timing
The EcoTec3 lineup consists of the following power-plants:

4.3L V6 LV3
5.3L V8 L83
6.2L V8 L86
Still working on differences between the LT1 motor and the L86.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:05 PM   #9
Joyridin

The only difference between LT1 and L86 is tuning and the intake. The L86 is a truck so they use longer runners. It is a better intake than the LT1, but not quite as good as an LT2 or MSD. The oil pan is also different as the truck is deeper. Everything else is the same right down to t \he cam, but you will see higher hp gains with the L86 with cam changes due to the truck intake.

This guy did my wiring. The only catch is he will not mess with it if you mention you are going to put a big cam in it etc. After I got it, I put a huge cam in my L83. I had zero problems.

Ken Wolkens is his name. StandAloneHarness.com

When I installed the cam, I put in a DOD delete kit, 4 degree cam phaser, and a BTR 220 cam. I had to do springs also. Pretty much the same as a Gen 4 L99 or similar. The only issue was the P/S pump, but i got that from American Billet. It fit in place of the vacuum pump. The other issue is no tach or speedo output from the trans. Dakota Digital fixed that.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
In regards to the 8 or 10 speed trans option my real world expirience. My 2015 Silverado had the 6.2/8 speed combo. Bought it new. In the winter when it was cold out and the truck was cold the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were always harsh until the truck warmed up. And sometimes cold or warm the down shift as you came up to a stop light was harsh. Had it back to the dealership for updated programming a few times. Never really fixed the issue. Never left me anywhere but annoying. Over on LS1tech.com the 8 speed gets no love at all.
So my current 2020 Silverado with the 6.2/10 speed combo is sweet. In the normal mode the trans shifts like butter. If you go to the sport mode the shifts are a bit more sharp and move up on the rpm a bit.
I could be wrong but I'm thinking all direct injection 5.3/6.2's have VVT and DOD.
Did you see this? https://autos.yahoo.com/gm-8-speed-t...134500219.html
Old 03-25-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
This from the comments section...

22 March, 2023

Last good transmissions out of GM were the Powerglide, Turbo 350 and Turbo 400. Yes they would still go bad if fluid not changed or abused, but cheap to fix. Everything after from the factory has been junk unless rebuilt and modified.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #12
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The motor is a 2017 LT1 from a Camaro with the 8 speed transmission. Joyriding called it the price was the set up from GM.
Who the the motor harness for you?

Some more information I dug up on the EcoTec3 Engine Family.

The EcoTec3 engine family features three state-of-the-art technologies:
Direct injection
Cylinder deactivation
Continuously variable valve timing
The EcoTec3 lineup consists of the following power-plants:

4.3L V6 LV3
5.3L V8 L83
6.2L V8 L86
Still working on differences between the LT1 motor and the L86.
If you are know how to read wiring diagrams I offer connector kits for the Gen5 engines and you can make you own. I also make them standalone aswell

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote