The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
Russ72C10
Four Wheeler

Low oil pressure?!

Lately I've noticed the oil pressure in my '72 is not stable. It still has a factory gauge in it (reads 80psi according to the print on the gauge)... and at idle it'll sit near 10psi. Under easy acceleration (normal driving) it'll rise to 20psi or so.... maybe 25, but never goes higher than that. IF I floor it, the oil pressure sinks to nearly nothing. I haven't noticed this until recently.

Also, there is some blowby that comes out of the hole where the valve cover breather goes. And with a few good revs, there's a slight amount of bluish smoke that comes out of the exhaust.

Do all of those symptoms sound like they could be caused by the failure (or wear) of the same part? And if so, what does it sound like the problem is?

I'm thinking some heavier weight oil may do the trick until I get the engine rebuilt this winter.....

I'd appreciate any info or tips...

Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

First step would be to hook a external oil pressure guage up and verify the actual readings. If the pressure is only 10psi @idle and drops if you rev quickly, its possible you have a restriction in the oil pick up screen (usually carbon).

None the less... if you have blue smoke from the exhaust while running, low oil pressure, and excessive blowby.. your closer to your rebuild time

I've always preached there is no mechanic in a can but :gulp: There is a product called "Restore" that I have seen work. It was used in a last case senario for a customer who absolutly couldnt afford a rebuild and needed to make it back home (800miles) It was burning aprox 1 quart every 500 miles. We reluctanly put a can of Restore in and sent him on his way. Guy calls back a few weeks later to thank us for "fixing" his car lol. Seems the smoking all but stopped, blowby is to a minimal now and he's using 1 quart per 1500 miles now.

Use at your own risk I'd be sure to rule out any mechanical issues with the pump first any thing else (rings,valve guides, cam bearings, crank/rod bearings will cause what your describing but there is little you can do about it now).
If the pressures read the same, try a can of that stuff.... cant hurt right?

Last edited by Zkast; 09-06-2002 at 10:25 PM.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

restore is unique stuff, I recommend it in certian situations also, zcast have you ever tore into a motor that has used restore? I have, and it seems to leave a copperish color coating in all the wear spots, appears to have filled them in. Its a real b!tch to clean off, though not as bad as stick 50, that really sucked...
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 09:46 AM   #4
minibike

I think the key point is that it is a last ditch effort, and you are buying a LITTLE time. I put a can of it in my old Crown Vic, and couldn't tell much difference in oil pressure or oil consumption.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
dion
72 Cheyenne

After I had my engine rebuilt I had a simular problem, pressure was good until I floored it and it dropped to about 3 or 4 pounds. The pump was taken out and checked and it seemed fine but it still lost pressure at high rpms. I finaly had to put two different pumps in before the problem would go away, we never did find out why it was doing that. The oil pressure is fine now but there is a clicking coming from the pan.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:18 AM   #6
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

i'd try a different gauge first, then if no difference in pressure, pull the pan and investigate. as stated above, could be any number of cam, rod, main bearings, pump, pickup tube restriction, etc, etc.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote