The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
LT7A

Remember When Supercars Didn't Have Stripes?

Right off the bat, I'll say this is a nonsense topic to me. I'm not an aficionado of supercars but have no judgement for someone who is. Some of them have amazing performance and some of them are beautifully styled. I just don't have much interest in something that I could never afford and wouldn't buy if I could. But I was in "that" part of town for a meeting and saw a McLaren and a Ferrari, both with stripes all over and I laughed both times. The need to be noticed is so extreme. Driving a supercar with its outlandish styling isn't enough. "Just letting you know I would have noticed your car without the stripes". I'm an automotive enthusiast which means that I can find reason to pay attention to almost any segment of the market at some level. But as time goes by I have less and less interest in these cars. I see a widening gap between people who own specialty vehicles of any type because they enjoy them, and people who buy them to draw attention to themselves. I'm all for tasteful enhancement of any automobile, including stripes. If it wasn't for the stripes back in the 60s and 70s, how would people know you weren't driving your father's Oldsmobile, haha. But stripes all over a supercar? The McLaren is a legitimate super high performance automobile. But do the panels around the exhaust pipes really need an orange stripe? Nevermind the rear spoiler/wing that looks like you left your trunk open. I feel lucky to be happy driving a pickup truck.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Remember When Supercars Didn't Have Stripes?

At first I thought you meant this:

Unrestored 70 Chevelle SS LS6
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

-but - If you are thinking of something like this, well - I see stripes on there.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Yep, I remember. And although I like all the GM muscle cars, my main interest is in '67-back. I could condense that down to 61-65. I've also always been big on sleepers. When did stripes begin, on Camaros and Firebirds in '67? I'm focused on GM here.

The "racing stripe" has been a Euro styling theme based on track vehicles since the '50s or earlier. I like a clean body with no distractions just I like blackwall tires. Racing stripes are body equivalent to white letter tires. A supercar with no stripes is a playboy gal-getter. One with racing stripes says ready to rip
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-20-2022 at 10:57 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

And how many times have guys applied stripes to their plain jane car and it made him feel like he's in a real race car? Yeah, you all remember the guy who put stripes on his mom's 4 door maverick with a 6 cylinder, right?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Stripes -- or a single stripe -- down the hood in front of the driver, made sense on a race car, by helping the driver instantly recognize which direction the car was going. Now they seem to be mostly a popular styling statement -- some tasteful, some overdone. As Keith points out, some cars wouldn't look right without stripes.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
LT7A

Thanks for playin, but y'all have missed the point, haha. I'm guessing you guys don't see these cars, or see them in the media. I'll find a couple of pictures. For the record, I'm not talking about historical cars, race cars, road cars patterned after race cars, or muscle cars (which I cited as good) which covers all of the pictures posted so far (all of which look good and are tasteful and/or appropriate, IMO). I must not be as clear of a writer as I think I am, haha, or maybe the post was just too long. My post was about SUPERCARS. Or in the case of the McLaren, probably actually a hypercar. But to follow what I'm talking about, you would need to have some familiarity with modern-day supercars, like Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and the like. So maybe I'm completely missing my audience here, haha. The title of the thread was not Stripes Are Bad.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-20-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
LT7A

Here's a mild version. Compared to what I saw, this would be tasteful. The point being, if you drive this car, do you really need orange stripes on it?
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
LT7A

Or maybe it works better the other way. So this is your car. Can you imagine thinking, "hmm, you know, I really need something to set this car off from all of the others... Let's see... Stripes! Stripes would do it." Haha.

That's what I saw yesterday. One of these, that somebody put stripes on. Only taking away from what was already there.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I always figured either people went the wrong way with my thread because I wasn't clear or an awful lot of people have poor comprehension skills. I can't speak for the others, but that would be me. You say Supercar and I think muscle car. Let me start again now that I'm on track.

Hey, what's the matter with y'all? Got poor comprehension skills?

I guess the term supercar wasn't even used in the days of classics. They were all just sports cars. I don't think of racing stripes fitting in on these modern supercars. I've never seen that. I don't really see supercars anywhere, though. So you are talking more of accent stripes or just accent paint. Those cars are so about the money they cost I figure it's added opulence. They are also all about the design studio, so...........

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #11
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I always figured either people went the wrong way with my thread because I wasn't clear or an awful lot of people have poor comprehension skills. I can't speak for the others, but that would be me. You say Supercar and I think muscle car. Let me start again now that I'm on track.

Hey, what's the matter with y'all? Got poor comprehension skills?

I guess the term supercar wasn't even used in the days of classics. They were all just sports cars. I don't think of racing stripes fitting in on these modern supercars. I've never seen that. I don't really see supercars anywhere, though. So you are talking more of accent stripes or just accent paint. Those cars are so about the money they cost I figure it's added opulence. They are also all about the design studio, so...........
Yep, now you're with me. These cars are not common here, but you do see them on occasion. The styling is already over the top, and then add stripes? Haha.

You mentioned the design studio, and if you look at how the light hits those cars, I bet the designers hate seeing them all striped up. Occasionally they are dressed out in Formula 1 livery and I suppose that serves a purpose. But still literally blurs the lines on a very striking car.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #12
lousyflyer

I remember when guitars didn't have stripes. Then this happened.
Attached Images

lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #13
dieseldawg142

i remember back in the day people did call musclecars supercars, no one had heard of or coined the term musclecar yet...
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
i remember back in the day people did call musclecars supercars, no one had heard of or coined the term musclecar yet...
You must be even older than me. I was messing around with muscle cars in the mid 70s.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:41 PM   #15
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You must be even older than me. I was messing around with muscle cars in the mid 70s.
a wise man never reveals his age...
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #16
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Here's a mild version. Compared to what I saw, this would be tasteful. The point being, if you drive this car, do you really need orange stripes on it?
Oh ya I do!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #17
lousyflyer

I was dining at the Bar in an Applebees restaurant and this guy drives up in a brand new Corvette and starts drinking and bragging about how fast it would go and how it outhandled everything on the road, blah blah blah.

He starts talking about how much it cost and then he asks everybody at the bar "You really want to know why I drive that car?"

I didn't miss a beat - I blurted out "Because you have a small pencil?"

The entire restaurant exploded in laughter. People came over and shook my hand. "That's exactly what I wanted to say"

Last edited by Liz; 05-25-2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: reported for non fam friendly wording, edited to make it ok for all.. carry on
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Best post of the day!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #19
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
I was dining at the Bar in an Applebees restaurant and this guy drives up in a brand new Corvette and starts drinking and bragging about how fast it would go and how it outhandled everything on the road, blah blah blah.

He starts talking about how much it cost and then he asks everybody at the bar "You really want to know why I drive that car?"

The entire restaurant exploded in laughter. People came over and shook my hand. "That's exactly what I wanted to say"

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #20
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post

you must have gone to the same Applebee's that I went to. I was at the bar and two old farts started shooting off their mouths about their cars. One guy had a Corvette and the other guy had a Jaguar and they wanted to let everyone know.

I just smiled and didn't say a word.

And if you go to Applebee's try the wonton chicken taco's. I know they sound weird but they are really good and I usually don't even like chicken tacos.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Hit the nail on the head! I bet he was about to tell you about all the easy money he came into so he bought a Vette until he decides what to do with the rest

Tim

Old 05-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #22
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hit the nail on the head! I bet he was about to tell you about all the easy money he came into so he bought a Vette until he decides what to do with the rest
Here's the kicker. I saw him leave. He was either driving a VW Beetle or the strangest Corvette that I've ever seen.

Just a lot of big talk at the bar.

The other guy really did have a nice Jaguar. But he sure made a lot of noise about it. And it was parked right out front where everyone could see it. Talk about being obvious.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Some people rely on external objects like fancy or fast vehicles to make them look important. I ain't important except to some of my family or friends, and I drive a Kia Forte to deliver the message.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #24
Tom
driving is in my blood

This post is a bit ridiculous.
Should the supercars all be black and silver only as well? Ya know, so the bright colors don't draw attention...
Perhaps they just like the way it looks? I sell these cars all the time. Most owners don't give two Sh*ts what other people think. They have the money and it makes them happy.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This post is a bit ridiculous.
Should the supercars all be black and silver only as well? Ya know, so the bright colors don't draw attention...
Perhaps they just like the way it looks? I sell these cars all the time. Most owners don't give two Sh*ts what other people think. They have the money and it makes them happy.
Yeah, but we are the ones that have to look at them going down the road
Actually, I don't care what others do. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as well. So I don't care about rich people with bad taste.

LT7A, are you saying you don't find this paint becoming to the vehicle???
Attached Images

Tim