The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #1
skinnan

C-10 6 cyl short bed exhaust routing

So, recently I bought a 70 C-10, 250 shortbed. Came without exhaust. LMC had this complete system I bought for around $200. Looks great and comes with all the goodies. My issue is none of the hangers were under the truck for reference and I'm having trouble knowing exactly how to route this exhaust. Laying on my back under this thing (and being fat in the Florida sun) is wearing me out. If anyone has pics of how this thing should run I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
skinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
72SB

Re: C-10 6 cyl short bed exhaust routing

Here is my 72 SWB with the LMC exhaust. You can buy universal type hangers and wither use stock or alternate locations to hang exhaust. There is one right near where the pipe connects under drivers door area on frame, 1 pre muffler and 1 near tail pipe end.
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
pjmoreland

The three original exhaust hangers would have been in the following locations:

1) Inside of the driver side frame rail, just behind the rear of the transmission. There would have been a metal bracket riveted to the frame with a rubber hanger attached to it.

2) Hanging from the frame crossmember that is under the center of the bed. There should be a bolt hole in that crossmember for the hanger.

3) Attached to the outside of the driver side frame rail behind the rear wheel. A metal bracket would have been riveted to the frame with a rubber hanger attached to it.

These brackets and hangers were simple in the earlier years and got more elaborate in the later years.

The stock routing of the exhaust pipe will basically be like just the driver side pipe shown below. It runs just inboard of the driver side frame rail and then snakes up between the trailing arm and frame rail. The muffler sits above the trailing arm. Then the pipe goes up and over the axle and exits at around a 45 degree angle under the rear corner of the bed.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
skinnan

Thank you SOOOO much fellas. This will definitely get me fixed up. I appreciate your time and effort
skinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
72SB

IIRC, the LMC kit came with universal pipe hangers if your originals are gone. Fortunately, my originals were still on the truck, so my install was pretty much plug & play
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote