The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #1
Green Monster

Steve McQueen's Production Company 1970 Blazer headed for auction

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/bought-...-saver-fortune

COLLECTOR CARS Published May 12, 2022 4:09pm EDT
"Someone bought Steve McQueen's Chevy Blazer from a PennySaver and now it's worth a fortune"
By Gary Gastelu | Fox NewsArticle

Sometimes a penny saved is 35 million pennies earned.

McQueen's Blazer has several modifications. (Mecum)

A 1970 Chevrolet Blazer K5 CST with an intriguing history is coming up for auction at the upcoming Mecum Auctions Indy event.

The green two-door SUV was listed for sale in a Los Angeles PennySaver classified paper in 1971 for $1,800 and purchased by Bob Bianchi, who was the first to get to the Bellflower warehouse where it was being stored with the cash.

The truck has been equipped with a roll cage. (Mecum)

The price paid was about half what it went for new, but the air-conditioned truck featured a few modifications, including a roll bar, four-headlight Jimmy grille, chrome off-road wheels, Positraction differentials and Edelbrock headers for its 350 cubic-inch V8. Bianchi took it home and used it like any other vehicle, even driving it across country, but about a decade ago did a little research into its past and made a surprising discovery.

Paperwork reveals Solar Productions originally purchased the truck. (Mecum)

It turns out it was originally owned by Solar Productions, actor Steve McQueen's company. The truck was one of five vehicles Solar purchased to use as support vehicles for McQueen's entry in the Baja 1000 off-road race. Bianchi's son Dustin told Fox News Autos that when he found this out, he recalled that the off-road shop he bought it from had photos of celebrities on the walls who'd done business there before and it all clicked.

McQueen's team used the truck at the Baja 1000. ( McCarthy/Express/Getty Images//Mecum)

There's no concrete evidence that McQueen himself ever drove it, but the association nevertheless gives it a celebrity provenance you won't find with most Blazers.

The truck is the same as it was when Bianchi purchased it in 1971. (Mecum)

The truck has remained in Bianchi's family ever since and was used regularly until 2001, when it entered semi retirement in Big Bear, Calif., and was only taken out for the occasional weekend drive.

Bob fell ill and passed away in 2020, but Justin said he and his two siblings had the opportunity to talk with him about what to do with the truck, which was very much a part of the family.

"It’s synonymous with my dad," he said. "Everybody knows the Blazer and my dad."

The Blazer remains in excellent shape for all the years and miles on it and has an estimated value of $350,000 to $375,000, or more than triple what Hagerty says one in perfect condition would go for without the Hollywood history.

Given what it's worth and the cost to insure and take care of a collectible like it, Dustin said they decided that letting it go was the best option, as tough as it is, but they have considered using the proceeds to build three more affordable replicas to remember it by.

Last edited by Green Monster; 05-13-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Inserted article and photos into post.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: Steve McQueen's Production Company 1970 Blazer headed for auction

Key word in the article, "There's no concrete evidence that McQueen himself ever drove it".

Kind off odd they would put a Jimmy grille in that Blazer.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Green Monster

I agree, the grill looks odd with four sets of turn signals/parking lights. I wonder if they all work?

Here's the listing on Mecum. https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-50...let-k5-blazer/

Seems odd not to show a photo of the build specs found on the glove box door.

The article states, "The truck is the same as it was when Bianchi purchased it in 1971."

There is plenty to like about this Blazer but I doubt Steve McQueen's production company made the following changes from 1969-1971. I could be wrong here.

Observed changes
1. Repainted top green from black or white to match body
2. Repainted body (evidenced by overspray on B pillar VIN tag)
3. Missing bottom trim on tailgate unique to Blazers/Jimmys
4. Replaced carpet (wheel wells were not originally covered with carpet)
5, Aftermarket horn
6. Tow hitch installed... is this routed under the gas tank? (see attached side view photo)
7. Missing factory spare tire carrier
8. Green ash tray in dash replaced with black ash tray
9. Center console repainted
10. Console ashtray and seat belt holders deleted
11. Front seats reupholstered- they're missing scroll pattern and don't match the rear seat pattern.
12. Aftermarket radio
13. Cut doors to install speakers
14. Aftermarket wheels
15. Chrome dash ball vent ports attached with flat head screws
16. Aftermarket lap belts/buckles
17. Edelbrock chrome valve covers

It will be interesting to see if Mecum's estimate of $350,000 - $375,000 is accurate.
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 05-13-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

That is a pretty truck. Obviously not a working US Forest Service truck.
I Wonder what it sold for?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #5
52napco

It sold for 225K
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:50 PM   #6
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: Steve McQueen's Production Company 1970 Blazer headed for auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
I agree, the grill looks odd with four sets of turn signals/parking lights. I wonder if they all work?

Here's the listing on Mecum. https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-50...let-k5-blazer/

Seems odd not to show a photo of the build specs found on the glove box door.

The article states, "The truck is the same as it was when Bianchi purchased it in 1971."

There is plenty to like about this Blazer but I doubt Steve McQueen's production company made the following changes from 1969-1971. I could be wrong here.

Observed changes
1. Repainted top green from black or white to match body
2. Repainted body (evidenced by overspray on B pillar VIN tag)
3. Missing bottom trim on tailgate unique to Blazers/Jimmys
4. Replaced carpet (wheel wells were not originally covered with carpet)
5, Aftermarket horn
6. Tow hitch installed... is this routed under the gas tank? (see attached side view photo)
7. Missing factory spare tire carrier
8. Green ash tray in dash replaced with black ash tray
9. Center console repainted
10. Console ashtray and seat belt holders deleted
11. Front seats reupholstered- they're missing scroll pattern and don't match the rear seat pattern.
12. Aftermarket radio
13. Cut doors to install speakers
14. Aftermarket wheels
15. Chrome dash ball vent ports attached with flat head screws
16. Aftermarket lap belts/buckles
17. Edelbrock chrome valve covers

It will be interesting to see if Mecum's estimate of $350,000 - $375,000 is accurate.
I'll add a few more head scratchers..

It has the 1971-72 passengers seat latch design.

Exterior mirrors are 1971-72 style.

The rear seat is 1971-72 pattern

The NP205 shift lever is black, and has a 1971-72 knob. 1970 had the shift pattern on a decal on the glovebox door if optioned with the NP205(autos only). Manual trans used the Dana 20 in 1970.

It has been converted to cable actuated throttle. 1970 used the crappy rod throttle.

Missing 1970 TCS relay mounted to the firewall. No holes are present. Unlikely they were filled in..

There isn't much 1970 Blazer left to this other than the front door panels, and the inside rear view mirror. The VIN tag looks to be the correct mid year 1970 style.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 38k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 54k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote