The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #51
scotts62
One day...

Re: my build thread

I payed $125 just for the front crossmember.. so thats a good deal!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #52
sams60gmc

yep, I'm planing on going to get it thursday. and ive decided to keep my small block and just build that. the guy i was going to get the big block from is avoiding me and stuff so i'll just keep my motor, plus its complete and i have more parts for it. I can build decent power with it anyways. Here is a picture of it on the stand I built, its a rull rotating stand with a transmission stand under the motor and its fully dissasembalable so when I take it apart the longest piece is like 3ft long. I bought it as a runner but I wanted to change all the gaskets and in doing so I found metal in the pan. Tore it all the way down and found that the cam bearings started to fall apart. So I just need to get it bored and I will be good to go. I also have a th350 trans to throw behind it.
Attached Images

1960 GMC short fleet, full frame build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329718
sams60gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #53
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Looking great Sam
You can't go wrong with a SBC and a th350
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #54
sams60gmc

Took a trip today and went and pulled all my parts. Not sure what the rear end is. posi? limitedslip? I got a hydra boost (i think thats what its called) master cylinder and a power steering box. Everything went smooth, the hardest part was getting the front end into my Dads pickup that I borrowed from him. Now I just gotta work the guy for a set of his 5 lug rallys and I'll be set! And somehow I crammed it all into my little storage shed outside my house where I will clean and paint the rear end, and take apart the front end and change the springs and bushings etc.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #55
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Nice score, glad it all went well. The only thing I see that is an issue is the rear end. It looks like a govlock which I was told is a ticking time bomb.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #56
sams60gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Nice score, glad it all went well. The only thing I see that is an issue is the rear end. It looks like a govlock which I was told is a ticking time bomb.
even if it is I still scored on the other stuff. so no biggie.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #57
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sams60gmc View Post
even if it is I still scored on the other stuff. so no biggie.
The ring gear might be worth something depending on what you are wanting.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #58
sams60gmc

I think I'll just run that rear axle how it is for now and just not mash on it too much. And if it grenades then I'll figure out something else. Its made it 29 years so far and I doubt the guy that I got it from took it easy on it. The only thing I'm concerned about is if parts are easy to find for the truck 12 bolts. I wouldn't see why not tho??

Also does anyone know of any springs that will bolt in up front to lower the front end? Kinda like using jeep springs for the rear, something retro fit I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #59
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
I think I'll just run that rear axle how it is for now and just not mash on it too much. And if it grenades then I'll figure out something else. Its made it 29 years so far and I doubt the guy that I got it from took it easy on it. The only thing I'm concerned about is if parts are easy to find for the truck 12 bolts. I wouldn't see why not tho??

Also does anyone know of any springs that will bolt in up front to lower the front end? Kinda like using jeep springs for the rear, something retro fit I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Yes parts for the truck 12 bolts are readily available from both aftermarket and used. The 12 bolts were used in the trucks from 1963 thru 1980 in both C10's and K10's
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #60
sams60gmc

Went to the junk yard today and picked up a set of 5 lug rally wheels. Talked the guy down to 50 dollars (he said it was his unemployed discount) Decent tires on them. I didn't realize it til I had got them home that I got 3 wide ones and 1 narrow one. My plan is to run wide ones in the back and narrow ones up front so I just gotta find one narrow one and see if I can trade out a wide one. Now I can put in my rear end since I have wheels to set it down on.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #61
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Good job....glad to see the hunting a gathering went well.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #62
sams60gmc

A progress update, no pics because its dark outside and I usually work at night or in the early morning because its getting to hot. Tore my front end all apart and cleaned and painted the cross member. Still haven't got to the A arms yet looks like one of them might be bent. Maybe a front end wreck or something. But I can go grab a new one if thats the case.

And something a little off topic but I've always loved old school pinstriping and always been facinated with the art. So I ordered a brush and I'm gonna see what I can do, I've always been pretty artistic so we'll see. I posted an ad on Craigslist for left over paint and a guy that ran the Roe Motors GM body shop here in town told me if your learning you can come down and pick out all the paint you need. So I got 5 cans of PPG, probably roughly 2.5 quarts of misc. colors to practice with, and he said come down and grab more if you need it! So as soon as my brush gets here its time to practice practice practice!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #63
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
A progress update, no pics because its dark outside and I usually work at night or in the early morning because its getting to hot. Tore my front end all apart and cleaned and painted the cross member. Still haven't got to the A arms yet looks like one of them might be bent. Maybe a front end wreck or something. But I can go grab a new one if thats the case.

And something a little off topic but I've always loved old school pinstriping and always been facinated with the art. So I ordered a brush and I'm gonna see what I can do, I've always been pretty artistic so we'll see. I posted an ad on Craigslist for left over paint and a guy that ran the Roe Motors GM body shop here in town told me if your learning you can come down and pick out all the paint you need. So I got 5 cans of PPG, probably roughly 2.5 quarts of misc. colors to practice with, and he said come down and grab more if you need it! So as soon as my brush gets here its time to practice practice practice!!!

Keep us posted on how your pinstriping goes as well as progress on your truck.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #64
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Yeah you got that right Alan! I work at a shop where they do light duty trucks too and those come in all the time and look like a granade has gone off in there Your best bet would be to spend the money and put an auburn in it.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #65
sams60gmc

So I've been pinstriping for about a week now, practicing every night except for last night. I've been practicing on glass with paper under, and also on my truck a little. I spray bombed the interior flat black and played around on the glove box door a little. This is the second attempt. The first attempt it was still in the truck and I had a hard time with it. The second attempt I took it out and drew out my plans so they were some what semetrical and here is the result. I think it looks pretty cool. I'm sure as I get better I will take it back out and do it again. But for now and one week of practice I'm pretty happy with this.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #66
Alan's Classic

Nice work
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #67
GMC406
Professional Grade

Cool truck man, I will be watching this one. I hope to be getting a 61 GMC Long stepper shortly. Keep up the good work and pictures!
71 GMC Street performer in the works
Waiting for warm weather
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341946
1990 GMC Sierra GT-sold
1983 chevy 4x4-project on hold maybe sell
1969 Triuph GT 6- sold
1996 Ford I-6 5 Speed 4x4
2004 Dodge Intrepid- milage maker
1959 Ford Fairlaine, factory a/c 292Yblock- sold
1982 Honda XL500R
Always lookin for other old trucks!
GMC406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #68
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah that looks cool

Keep at it and before you know it all your friends will be wanting you to stripe their cars and trucks.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #69
sams60gmc

Been workin on the truck quite a bit lately as well as my pinstriping. Girlfriend bought me a new brush when I was out of town and I got 2 small cans of One Shot. I'm going to re-do the glove box as well as the door pannels in Peacock and Robin Egg Blue. Back to the '50's cruise is coming up and depending on if my motor sells or not I'll try and cruise it. Spray bombed the interior flat black and gloss black for the cluster to make it more presentable. Turned out pretty good I think. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #70
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

The larger Gmc Trucks had gauges. Picture 2 of your black plastic dash side by side with about 1/2 inch in between. You can get a vacuum gauge,oil preassure, temperature and fuel in the small bezels and Tach and Speedo in the larger ones. Or the optional GMC clock.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #71
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
The larger Gmc Trucks had gauges. Picture 2 of your black plastic dash side by side with about 1/2 inch in between. You can get a vacuum gauge,oil preassure, temperature and fuel in the small bezels and Tach and Speedo in the larger ones. Or the optional GMC clock.
Yeah, those are pretty hard to find though. I am also on the hunt....

Killer job on the pin striping!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #72
sams60gmc

Thanks Corts60! I've been pinstriping quite a bit lately. And I'm seing definate progress, which is good. I'm getting more comfortable which is nice because it makes my lines smoother and not as shakey. Still need to work on my line consistancy but here are some pictures. My dad wants me to pinstripe his jetski so I'll post some pictures after I do that I'll probably just run some lines across it or something not sure yet.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #73
sams60gmc

I put my hood up on craigslist to see if I could get rid of it and someone emailed me and said they might trade me 2 62-66 GMC hoods for my Chevy hood. So I'm gonna go see if he wants to today. I'm pretty happy about it. I put my Chevy hood on my truck right when I got it not knowing much about these trucks, I thought they were close enough. Anyways hopefully I can get 2 out of my 1, seeing as it has brand new turn signal assembelies. Anyways since the hood is off I cleaned up some spots around the cowl and sprayed them with some flat black.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #74
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Good luck on the trade - truck has a lot of potential.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #75
sams60gmc

Well I scored. I got 2 GMC hoods. They both need some work. One of them in the center front and down the side, and the other one in the corner, nothing impossible. No rust. I'm glad to have a GMC hood back on my truck. Just trying to think of what one I'm going to throw on there. I'm not sure if the pics will show up, the site says something about a data base error. So if they don't I'll get them up tomorrow to see what one you guys think I should throw on my truck.