The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

69 Camaro Part Deaux

When I bought this little gem back in 92, it was Lemans Blue with a white vinyl top, a non-original 350 2bbl backed by a powerglide and an open rear end. I bought it from the original owners who decided to sell it as it was becoming more ncreasingly difficult to make the drive from OK to MT to visit their daughter.

I drove the car as I purchased it for a few years and my son drove it to high school for a couple years before heading off to college, when I decided to repossess it. It had drum brakes on all corners and I decided to change the front drums to disk. Turns out I was about to learn a lesson about "may as well" disease is, first hand - the documented falling domino syndrome where project creep rapidly expands because it's so much easier to do things while you have things apart.

Well, the project didn't end until it had disk brakes on all four corners. A 9" rear with posi, connected to an aluminum headed 454 and TH400 tranny, Coddington Timeless 17" wheels. All in a brand new sparkling black paint job.

That little project took 4 years to complete and I enjoyed going to shows with it, but it turns out that while it was pretty fun to drive it a straight line, it had other issues like heeling over like a bulldog at a fire hydrant. I really hadn't paid too much attention to handling. It was also pretty thirsty which ruled out any Power Tour activities.

I have since completed a few other projects and the Camaro spent a lot of time locked away in a storage unit, and the cycles of summer heat and cold winters took a toll on the paint - causing splits in the filler that was used in copious amounts.

As fate would have it, Kyle with Laid Back Recreations had a nice small block 406 that came out of a C10 project he was doing he offered for sale and I bought it not knowing for sure what I would do with it at the time.

The 66 Buick Skylark that Kyle and I did really showed me how much fun these old cars can be when you get the pro touring goodies bolted in place. One day I'll get a full frame and LS in the Camaro, but for now the plan is to bolt in the 406 with a Fi-tech throttle body injection setup and couple that with a 700R4. A full RideTech HQ coil over set up will be used with 4 link and Tru Turn. A set of Detroit Speed mini tubs are going in to cover up a set of 19x12 Billet Specialties Wedge wheels.

Here's how "Darth" looked when I loaded him up for the trip to LBR

Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote