The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
dhmjr

New guy garage?

Hi, new here. Trying to get some ideas and suggestions of what a beginner needs to consider having in a small garage. I'm currently clearing an area about 30'x40'-50'. I live out in the country so there aren't any codes to worry about. Any information like ideal size of air compressor, what type of cutting tools and welders, or anything you guys can offer that I might not think about.

Trying to follow a modest budget but leaving room to grow. Thanks in advance!

Edit, found the right place for this information.

Last edited by dhmjr; 04-13-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Found answer.
dhmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: New guy garage?

Go with a s big a compressor as you can afford/power and the same with most everything else.I would suggest you buy the best quality you can afford also.I don't think a hobbyist can really justify buying "Snap-On",or other tool truck tools so I really like Craftsman pro series.Miller has a line of welders labeled "Pro-sumer" and some (at least) feature MVP's which means the welder runs on 110 or 220.Makes for a nice ability to grow into your power at least.Unless you're planning on lots of cutting a cut-off wheel, and a couple of saws(Cut off and recip) will do a lot.

For great info on garages try www.Garagejournal.com
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
dhmjr

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
67cheby
67cheby

if you are running air tools , you need a minimum of a 80 gal compressor...i tried a 60 gal and it wouldnt keep up with my air tools (i am referring to air body working tools ie...da sander and inline sander, mud hogg)

Last edited by 67cheby; 04-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
TacBlade

Nice Big Refrigerator, Microwave, Refrigerated beer keg with tap on top, Stereo, Army Cot with sleeping bag, Barbecuer and a nice recliner for naps? Maybe some nice tools too!!!
TacBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree on the largest compressor possible. Also, I'd build the building bigger than you think you need now....it's easier/cheaper to build it bigger now than adding on later. you don't have to fill it all up or put lighting in it all now...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
bucketObolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacBlade View Post
Nice Big Refrigerator, Microwave, Refrigerated beer keg with tap on top, Stereo, Army Cot with sleeping bag, Barbecuer and a nice recliner for naps? Maybe some nice tools too!!!
Yea just dont expect to get any work done. Whatever you do, do not put a laptop in the garage that opens up to 67-72chevytrucks.com Then youre just screwed looking at evertyone elses sweet rides instead of wrenchin on your own. As for tools, yes get a good air compressor. remember just cuz it has a huge tank doesnt mean the compressor is all that great. I use a Miller MillerMatic 252 welder. probably a little more expensive and more than you need starting out but all the millermatic welders now have an auto-set feature where you just haveto dial in the guage of steel your working with but you can still tune it yourself once you learn what you're doing.

My theory with toolboxes is of course go big or go home like every guy out there. But really dont shortchange yourself on the box and buy too small because you'll be surprised how fast you fill it up and then you gotta go fine a new one. But listen to your woman when she tells you the 88" Macsimizer won't leave you any room in the garage, cuz well...she was right. Just don't tell her that. Most of my box is filled with Mac tools but now I go Craftsman for a lot of stuff I need. They're making some real nice stuff and they have the Pro series like posted above. You dont need to find a tool truck and they have the same warranties the big boys do and for a fraction of the price. Oh yea and before anything else, get some good lighting for the ceiling..itll save you a ton of time looking for lost nuts and bolts. My advise..start hittin up Craigslist and ebay for good used stuff. Obviously we're all strapped for cash but there's always shops closing and selling equipment for cheap. And dont forget a couple of good fans for the summertime. Have fun!

Last edited by bucketObolts; 04-13-2011 at 07:36 PM.
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
LEEVON

I know you said no codes... but if you're stick framing spend a few dollars and put some hurricane straps on the joist tails, extra bridging and bracing and if you're using asphalt shingles fasten the felt paper along the outside edges every 6" with tin caps. A little extra time and literally just a few bucks could save your new shop freak wind event.

80 gallon, 220v compressor and use a subpanel and disconnect for the shop. If you have the leftover cash, hard plumb it.

I love my Hobart 187 welder, very reasonably priced and very capable.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
rpmgroup

I agree built bigger, I built a 30X60 (10 years, cash all the way) with a concrete apron for parking down one side and a 60x40 drive way and it already full. Steel framed, cable tv set to Speed, 2 post lift, miller welder, plasma cutter, different areas for welding, storage, engine assembly etc. i use a smaller compressor in the shop, but have a big gas tow unit for the times i need a lot of air. Good luck on the build
rpmgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
luckyss

Build it with height so you will have room for a lift...
Posted via Mobile Device
luckyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
bucketObolts

Yea, 220v is a must and make sure you designate an area just for take-off parts or a donor truck. i know youre building big but space always seems to disappear more and more everyday. Get yourself a nice little welder and build a big steel work bench. Unfortunately I only rent a 2 bay residential garage and I haveto do most of my welding either on the floor if i have space or in the driveway. Then start hittin the swap meets for rusty bumpers and old hubcaps because, well, they just look cool on the walls.
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Shyguy

My son had a shop built, I think, 30' by 40' with a 11' height to the bottom of the trusses. Now that he has had it for a while he realizes he needs an area separate to do body work and painting.

He had it built so two vehicles could be worked on at a time, but so far it has not worked that way since his wife's truck can not be parked outside since it got restored. It is not a trailer queen, but seems to be allergic to dust, lol.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Indian113

I would have a air conditioned build room that I could keep CLEAN,if I was to rebuild. Working on and rebuilding in the same space is a mess.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
72gmguy

Put some mats down around work stations or benches so you can work more comfortably. Also a couple of high stools with backs for when you can sit to do your work. The guys are right about the 80 gal compressor, you will need it for body work and a blast cabinet. Add lots of tall shelves for storage, the heavy duty ones that can handle some weight. Dont forget 220 outlets for welder, oven if you decide to powdercoat, and each lift you might add. Plumb your airlines with retractable wheels so you don't have airlines all over the floor. Paint your floor if its concrete with a sealer that will keep dust and moisture down. Have fun, working on your man cave is almost as fun as working on the projects.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

a few things I would do

some sort of concrete or block knee wall so you can wash the floor or when you slide jacks to the wall and they dont poke holes in it

put plywood all the way around 4 feet high......then you can hang stuff anywhere like you air lines, hoses, shelves what ever and again it protects the walls from "STUFF" poking holes

Lots of wall outlets and some out front and a few in the ceiling for drop lights

call your power company they can/will hook you up with a great deal on lighting.....and I have a street light out front that cost me $8 a month to run it worth every penny and since the power company owns it theres no issues if it burns out or for that matter installing it

SEAL THE FLOOR BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING....it willl keep it clean and you'll never do it after...trust me
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Definitely add a sink-clean up area. Mama won't be happy with greasy hands in her bathroom. My electric chainfall sure comes in handy for moving heavy parts. Especially when I'm by myself. Sure would be nice to have a bathroom out there too. Retracting extension cords and air hoses keep the floor uncluttered. First aid kit is a must!! Gotta have some tunes. And you should consider your heat source during construction. Electric,gas,or woodstove. Its cheaper and easier to do it now than later. I would consider a washing machine for greasy jeans, shop rags and coveralls. DO NOT wash your nasty shop clothes in the family washing machine. You'll be sleeping in the shop if you do
Posted via Mobile Device
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
dhmjr

That's what I'm talking about! I'm the world's worst about hindsight and since I'm starting at ground-zero these ideas are a great help.
Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Watch CL for cabinets.They work great for storage of tools that don't fit the BOX and can be used to store consumables.They're also easy to build a 2X top for use as a bench.Old school or gym lockers can also be used.Find some cardboard or plastic bins for smaller stuff.Bolt bin.A 3-4 ft air wand for blowing dirt etc. off of the shelves and things on them.A stand or rack for steel if/when you do fab work.^ welding table ^.I also like outlets hung from the ceiling to a height of about 7 ft.I can reach them and don't have to run so much extension cord.They are usually run in what is known as S.O. cord.A laundry room style sink works great for clean up and for cleaning parts(most water based degreasers are Bio friendly).When you think you have enough lights ,double them,then add a few in main work areas( be aware of the tasks to be performed there so you can adjust mounting for shadows).Get some task lights to use,I like the High intensity ones on a stand.You're not gonna get any younger and extra light makes your glasses stronger(LOL).A fire cabinet is nice to have for paint etc but you can get by with an old refrig,Just don't forget which is which when it's beer 30.
Buy a vise or two.One small/med for smaller stuff and the hugest big monster that you can solidly mount.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 04-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
100%Chevy

My shop is over 20 years old now and my most valuable suggestion is:
Don't do a thing until you've spent a lot of time planning exactly what you want for now and the future.
My shop is a 50'x 75' steel and purlin structure that's 12'tall.
IT"S FULL!!
I built it 500'from my house thinking of all the motor noise.Works great but it's a lot of walking.
It's too close to the pond-I've removed several snakes over the years.
I do have power,phone,water,etc.
You can never have enough storage,receptacles,and lighting.Repeat this 10 times!
Whatever you have in it,if you ever plan to move it,put it on wheels now!
Designate storage.Designate work areas.Do not mix!
Get and have handy fire protection!I suggest a fire extinguisher and a water hose,right where you're working.
And,don't forget security.Make sure you can lock it up.
If you're going to be in there alone most of the time(most of us are)have a cell phone handy (if not in your pocket),just in case!
Just my 2 cents.
Mike.

Last edited by 100%Chevy; 04-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
rpmgroup

You should check out Garage Journal Forums
http://www.garagejournal.com
rpmgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
CMACDONALD1

I just built my shop last year it is a 30x40 with 10 foot walls and scissor trusses so that the center of the garage has 14 feet of height (really opens it up) highly recomend it.I put a two foot just out in the center bay and angled my garage door tracks up along the ceiling so I have clearance when there is a car on the hoist(otherwise you will not be able to open the garage door with a car on the hoist). lots of lights and lots of electrical outlets even in the ceiling and all around the outside. I also put 220 in the ceiling for the hoist when I get one. I sheeted my shop inside with osb and seamsealed all the seams and painted it white( If you seam seal the joints it takes away the black border around every sheet of plywood and looks really good when done). I bought a DV air compressor that will keep up to anything I can throw at it (Must buy a two stage air compressor!!! I spent 2700.00 on the compressor but worth every dime ). As far as tools they can be added at anytime as needed, someone mentioned craigslist and I think that is a great way to buy good used tools especially if its a hobby garage. Have fun with the new shop and once you have it you can't imagine not having it.
Attached Images

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote