The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Suburban Vin's

I went to look at a quote un quote 73 Suburban yesterday, and noticed a few things wrong.

The paint looked original, and it had a 80' style square headlight front end. Plus it had the wipers on the stalk, and not the dash.

Other then that a potentialy very nice purchase.

As we were talking I asked if he knew it was wrong, and he had no clue. Even though he had it for almost 10 years he bought it that way, and just cruised it as the family vehicle.

Upon further inspection the Burb looks to my eyes to of been a 4x4 at some point, and converted to a 3/4 ton 2wd. Likely by someone who wanted the 4x4 parts. Then sold off the rest with a pre smog title.

How different are the titles that a cop would not of noticed at some point.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Suburban Vin's

If the vin isnt a 73 vin it wouldn't go thru motor vehicles when it was registered as a 73 it would propagate the correct year . Sounds like someone changed out the grille and column prior to the present owner.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

For got to say the Burb from what I saw had a truck vin.

The Vin is from a 73 C20 truck from what I could get on a online decoder, and it is on a Suburban. Which from what I could find would have a different prefix code for body style.

Plus the dash had the relief for a vin tag on the dash, and it had one mounted on the door pillar. Like my pre smog C20's, and C10's had.

The Suburban to me is a mid 80's model, and likely was a factory 4x4. As evidenced by holes in the frame where the front leafs would of been mounted. I had a 74 K20 for a bit. Not claiming expert status here.

In California if you have a in state vehicle they do not get involved in any sort of inspection of the vin. Supposedly they may with out of state registers.

The only inspection we have in California is a smog check routinely. Every 2 years for older cars, and 5 years after purchase for new cars. Occasionally you may get a notice to go to a referee station. A very very slight chance.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #4
kipps

Me personally, I would stay away from it. I'm all for modifying and customizing these trucks, but I like to be able to say unequivocally that it's a specific year with X and Y parts. I'd always feel a little queasy about a VIN swap, particularly something as blatant as a Suburban/Pickup mix up.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Probably won't but the price is tempting, and I would like a Burb.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
sweetk30

Smells real dirty of a vin / burb . .

I like a good deal but that one is dirty .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

With the updated info I would walk away from it.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

is it possible that the dash pad was changed? some of the new repro dash pads have a cut out for the VIN without the vin actually being there i had that issue in my 76

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
Dead Parrot

Write up a contract that says the sale is contingent on the vehicle passing a title/VIN check.

Very possible that the PO that did truck/suburban swap did all of the proper paperwork to handle the VIN situation.

But you don't want to buy the vehicle then discover that you have to clean up the VIN mess because a PO didn't do the proper paperwork. Extra headache if a secondary VIN is found on the frame or a sticker that comes back as salvage or stolen.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
MJN

In the VIN the 5th digit should be a "6" for it to be a Suburban, pickups were '4'. Did you happen to see the model number on the SPID or did the VIN on the SPID match the one on the door pillar?
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
is it possible that the dash pad was changed? some of the new repro dash pads have a cut out for the VIN without the vin actually being there i had that issue in my 76
Dash pad looked old enough to match the interior. Along with it being a C20 truck on the vin, and holes for 4wd parts.

It was a swap of some kind earlier in its life.

In my opinion.

Last edited by Ziegelsteinfaust; 05-25-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
In the VIN the 5th digit should be a "6" for it to be a Suburban, pickups were '4'. Did you happen to see the model number on the SPID or did the VIN on the SPID match the one on the door pillar?
The 6th number was a 4 on the vin. I am not sure what the spid is or where to look for one.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The 6th number was a 4 on the vin. I am not sure what the spid is or where to look for one.
The SPID is the decal that lists the VIN, model number, wheel base and all the regular production options the truck was built with. Typically found in the glove compartment or top of the inner fender.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #14
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Write up a contract that says the sale is contingent on the vehicle passing a title/VIN check.

Very possible that the PO that did truck/suburban swap did all of the proper paperwork to handle the VIN situation.

But you don't want to buy the vehicle then discover that you have to clean up the VIN mess because a PO didn't do the proper paperwork. Extra headache if a secondary VIN is found on the frame or a sticker that comes back as salvage or stolen.
If I were to buy it. Honestly I would play stupid, and convert it to a crew cab at some distant point. That way it's easier to play stupid. As a early crew had the same vin code.

I seriously doubt the current owner knew or knows anything. Just my read of it when I told him the vin was wrong. Plus the extra holes in the frame.

California doesn't get to deep into vins at the state level especially with pre smog vehicles. Since they rarely would be in any sort of "inspection".

My only real concern would be cops or any sort who may or may not ask questions. So if it says C20, and it has 8 lugs. They may likely not look any further. Even if I got popped towing I never tow heavier then what a C20 Burb could tow legally anyways.

I won't lie, and say I am not interested. Just for the money he wants $5000 for a decent looking ok runner. I could build one in a way I prefer with parts I already own for $2500.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
The SPID is the decal that lists the VIN, model number, wheel base and all the regular production options the truck was built with. Typically found in the glove compartment or top of the inner fender.
Didn't have anything there I could read on the inside of the stove box. If what I saw was it. It was long wore out.