The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #26
TKCR

Re: attaching lower door carpet panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10gcl View Post
Thanks. Much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing the sample colors. They are all going to be the USA1 dyes are they?
Thanks also for the tip on the shipping. I’ll call and talk to them about it.

Glenn
Yes they will all be USA1 dyes. That’s all I use. I have some SEM dyes, but I find that their colors are off and don’t match with the original interior colors.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #27
TKCR

Here is all the Blues side by side. And up next to a 81-87 Blue hinge garnish. In my opinion, if your wanting to change the interior blue to a lighter blue, I would chose the 73-74 Slate Blue.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 05-25-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:08 AM   #28
82c10gcl

Thanks TKCR. That’s a great resource. I was leaning towards the slate blue initially based on vinyl samples I had gotten from USA 1 but couldn’t get a fix on what the dash color would look like since it is dyed vinyl. Your sample piece answers my questions. I’ll order a can of the dye, do my kicks with it and see how it looks. I’ll post once i’m done.
Thanks for all your help.
Glenn
82c10gcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #29
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks TKCR. That’s a great resource. I was leaning towards the slate blue initially based on vinyl samples I had gotten from USA 1 but couldn’t get a fix on what the dash color would look like since it is dyed vinyl. Your sample piece answers my questions. I’ll order a can of the dye, do my kicks with it and see how it looks. I’ll post once i’m done.
Thanks for all your help.
Glenn
Hope it all works out. You know at first glance, I really would have thought the 77-79 Blue would be a good color. But once I did this, and layed it up next to a part done in the 81-87 Blue, the shades are not a good combo.
I’ve needed to do this for awhile now. I have had several people that have wanted to use one of the other GM colors, just to break up the interior. This will help show wether it can be done or not. Going to do one for all the “Tan” colors now.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #30
Joetown Parrothead

I just ordered these yesterday. Going to use instead of the lower carpet panels.
Attached Images

Joetown Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:10 PM   #31
Joetown Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I dye a lot of interior parts for our trucks. USA1 Industries is who I use. They have every one of our colors and they match.
Your work is incredible, wish I knew about it when I started my truck work…. I might have some seat belts for ya..
Old 05-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #32
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetown Parrothead View Post
I just ordered these yesterday. Going to use instead of the lower carpet panels.
Those are cool looking!

Quote:
Your work is incredible, wish I knew about it when I started my truck work…. I might have some seat belts for ya..
Old 05-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #33
blazer2007

If you put those over the carpet would look even more nicer, I think.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #34
Joetown Parrothead

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-72-C10-L....m46890.l49286

He has photos of them over the carpet..
Old 05-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #35
Joetown Parrothead

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-72-C10-L....m46890.l49286

He has photos of them over the carpet..
. He also has some badass Glove Box ones
Old 05-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #36
Joetown Parrothead

Here is Glove Box Bezel
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #37
82c10gcl

Pretty slick.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #38
82c10gcl

Pretty slick.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #39
82c10gcl

So i’m still at it. Nothing is easy or quick. I bought the new dashpad in black and I’m having it dyed by someone who know what they are doing. I also got my kickpanels in black but took them on myself. After seeing TKCR’s samples of the different blues (thanks again) I did go with 72 Slate Blue. Got the dye from USA 1 and took the good advice from everyone to prep the panels properly. Actually, panel, because the passenger’s side panel has been on backorder for about 3 months. Hopefully it will be here in a few more weeks. Anyway, here’s the driver’s side panel c/w the new kick carpet that started all this.. Looks pretty good for a rookie. I tried to install it today but i’m having trouble getting the old one out. Anybody know if I definitely have to remove the parking brake assembly to do this or is it a matter or wrangling it around with a ton of patience? I got all the screws out and it’s loose but I can’t get the vent surround to clear the hole it sits in.

Dash should be here in a few weeks. Hopefully it will go in smoothly and i’ll Post a few pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #40
TKCR

I never had to take the parking brake assembly out. But I do believe I may have depressed it in and out, to work around it.
Good job, it looks good!
Old 03-06-2022, 01:18 AM   #41
82c10gcl

I'm making some progress on the dash, kick panels, etc. I ended up getting the black dash and having it dyed to the color I wanted. It was to be slate blue. but I think it turned out a bit darker than it was supposed to. Looks good though so I was okay with it and installed it. I now have to get the door panels and kicks dyed to match the new dash color so that will be happening in the next few months. in the meantime, I got a new brushed aluminum gauge surround and new brushed stainless trim for the doors and dash and got them installed today. They replaced the black ones that were part of the Scottsdale interior. Making headway, and hope to have the interior finished off for this summer.

I was planning on adding the original style interior window trim at the A and B pillars and above the doors and windows and then adding a headliner, but I saw something about having to cut slots into the cab's inner layer of metal to fasten the trim. Is this just for the chrome headliner trim (which I'm not planning on using) or does it apply to the plastic window and headliner trim as well. Can this trim be installed with just the screws or with velcro instead? I don't want to take on a bigger project than I can handle and cutting the slots scares me. I'm also reluctant to make any new holes of significance in the sheetmetal. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Glenn
Old 03-06-2022, 01:51 AM   #42
82c10gcl

The photos didn't attach to my last post I guess so here are they are again.

Glenn
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #43
TKCR

Wow! That is nice!
I have never heard about cutting the metal to add the headliner trim. You maybe able to use Velcro on the B-pillar, but everything else, you’ll need to use screws. They have too big of a space to be able to use Velcro. And all the trim is needed to hold up the headliner.
2 A pillar trim
2 B pillar trim
2 small metal trim over the doors
2 long metal trim for the front & rear windows.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #44
82c10gcl

Thanks TKCR. I saw a while back you had a complete set of the trim pieces you had refinished and sold. Do you happen to have any more sets available?

Glenn
Old 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #45
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks TKCR. I saw a while back you had a complete set of the trim pieces you had refinished and sold. Do you happen to have any more sets available?

Glenn
I do, but unfortunately I won’t ship them anymore. I had too many get damaged in shipping. And I was even putting the long metal trim in pvc, and they still got damaged. Almost like it was intentional, so I won’t ship them anymore.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:41 PM   #46
LT7A

Quote:
I'm making some progress on the dash, kick panels, etc. I ended up getting the black dash and having it dyed to the color I wanted. It was to be slate blue. but I think it turned out a bit darker than it was supposed to. Looks good though so I was okay with it and installed it. I now have to get the door panels and kicks dyed to match the new dash color so that will be happening in the next few months. in the meantime, I got a new brushed aluminum gauge surround and new brushed stainless trim for the doors and dash and got them installed today. They replaced the black ones that were part of the Scottsdale interior. Making headway, and hope to have the interior finished off for this summer.

I was planning on adding the original style interior window trim at the A and B pillars and above the doors and windows and then adding a headliner, but I saw something about having to cut slots into the cab's inner layer of metal to fasten the trim. Is this just for the chrome headliner trim (which I'm not planning on using) or does it apply to the plastic window and headliner trim as well. Can this trim be installed with just the screws or with velcro instead? I don't want to take on a bigger project than I can handle and cutting the slots scares me. I'm also reluctant to make any new holes of significance in the sheetmetal. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Glenn
Don't forget about magnets. And a note about the interior color you are shooting for: design-wise, it is good to have some contrast in the shades of color when you go from gloss painted material to textured plastic material. In my experience it's not good to get close to matching a color and just miss it. It's much better to have a strong noticeable difference between the two as long as they go well with each other. Maybe you want your interior to feel less gloomy or dark, but the kick panel color against your paint color in post 10 looks right on in terms of how to put similar colors next to each other. You have a great looking truck by the way. With the exterior being so vibrant, I can understand how you might want to bring some of that energy to the inside. But in a way, that's kind of a cool contrast itself, that the outside is all hopped up, and the interior has a little more gray to it since that's the part you actually occupy. Anyway, I'll step out of Martha Stewart mode and let you have at it however you want.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #47
82c10gcl

Thanks for the comments LT7A. Wan't thinking about magnets but that sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it if and when I do the headliner and trims. As for the colours, I understand your point about contrast. I don't want to deviate from the original colour much (I have collector's plates on it so I need to stay pretty close to original) but the 82 blue always looked kinda dead to me so I wanted to go with the 73 Slate Blue instead, which is a better shade of blue and which is closer in spirit to the exterior colour. The new dash is the colour I'm going with, the old door panels are the original colour. Not a lot of difference between them. The doors and kicks still need to be dyed to match the dash. Not much more to do on the truck (unless I go with the headliner) except enjoy taking it for weekend drives and coffee runs.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #48
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I used a kit from Rod Doors, the lower panel was attached with heavy duty plastic type velcro. This is a very old picture, I'm not sure Rod Doors are still in business.
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #49
82c10gcl

Thanks for the info S10Fan. It’s a good looking door panel. I’ll check out Red Door out of curiosity. I need to stay with original or replica panels due to my collector plates however so i’m just dying mine. Much appreciate the input anyway.

Glenn
Old 03-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #50
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Magnets were mentioned above, they are a very good choice. I used magnets to mount most all of the panels in the trunk of my 50 Chevrolet. The panel behind the seat hides my stereo gear, removing the panel is a simple no tools required process.
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote