The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #951
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Well, I think I got too much blues music in my head. "If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all".
I got ready to move Sanity yesterday and I had a flat front driver side tire. These are brand new tires that have been on Sanity for just under 2 years and according to my new speedometer have only 2 miles on them. I took it to my tire guy, and it was found that it had a deformed bead. I admit these tires I bought were not a expensive tire but had good reviews. I got them from Amazon. I contacted customer service and explained the situation. They are sending a new tire free of charge and free shipping. It should be here in a couple of days. In the meantime, I am getting the shop cleaned up and ready for the next phase of the build. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I just had cataract surgery on Monday on my right eye so that has slowed me down. I'm getting the left eye done in January.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.

Last edited by pdxhall; 12-16-2022 at 01:23 PM.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:49 PM   #952
cwcarpenter98

I'd say you actually dodged a tire coming apart at interstate speeds and destroying all your hard work over the years, so maybe a little good luck disguised as bad

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #953
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I'd say you actually dodged a tire coming apart at interstate speeds and destroying all your hard work over the years, so maybe a little good luck disguised as bad
That's correct Christian, all turned out okay, I got a replacement for the tire, it was under warranty so there was no charge for replacement. So, I pulled Sanity out of the shop. It was great having the truck back to driving mode but it was also filthy dirty after sitting in the shop with the rear diff being rebuilt so I decided to give Sanity a good washing before continuing with my work. I've got all of the parts together to put the vent windows back together, the wiper mechanism is ready to install, and I've got some epoxy primer work to do. It's cooling down to the low 90s so I should be able to get some things done.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:31 PM   #954
pdxhall

I haven't posted for several weeks, and I've got some catching up to do. I have had a small voltage leak for a while now and I have just put up with it for now. Well, Sanity's battery died after several years of abuse so I decided it was time to buy a new battery and try and solve voltage leak. I discovered the leak was coming from the horn light on the button. I had disconnected a couple of other circuits while searching. There is no way that I can get under the dashboard at this time. So, I removed the driver's seat so I could clean up the wiring I had been messing with. I got the wiring cleaned up but I couldn't find the problem with the light so I left it disconnected for now. I will probably pull the switch out later to see what's going on. While I had the seat out, I cleaned up the floor area. The seat has not been working correctly since I put them in. What I found was the inside track was sitting at a slight bind because the holes I drilled for the inside track were in the indented gutters(?) on the floor so I made some spacers to raise the area even with the rest of the floor. I reinstalled the seat and it is working great. It slides forward and back smoothly. I also prepped and epoxied the tailgate and put it back on the truck. New chains should arrive today. I had removed the rear bumper while I was doing the rear diff. so I worked on it and gave it a good coat of epoxy and I'm working on final prep. I forgot to mention that I also got the vent windows finished and ready to install when I get the inside of the doors window frames prepped and painted. I've also got the center console in the works.
I want to give a shout out to Christian Carpenter for the idea on his exhaust pipe cup holders. I've stolen your idea.
The biggest news is Sanity is now a legal resident of Arizona. I got the title changed and got the registration and plates.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #955
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I haven't posted for several weeks, and I've got some catching up to do. I have had a small voltage leak for a while now and I have just put up with it for now. Well, Sanity's battery died after several years of abuse so I decided it was time to buy a new battery and try and solve voltage leak. I discovered the leak was coming from the horn light on the button. I had disconnected a couple of other circuits while searching. There is no way that I can get under the dashboard at this time. So, I removed the driver's seat so I could clean up the wiring I had been messing with. I got the wiring cleaned up but I couldn't find the problem with the light so I left it disconnected for now. I will probably pull the switch out later to see what's going on. While I had the seat out, I cleaned up the floor area. The seat has not been working correctly since I put them in. What I found was the inside track was sitting at a slight bind because the holes I drilled for the inside track were in the indented gutters(?) on the floor so I made some spacers to raise the area even with the rest of the floor. I reinstalled the seat and it is working great. It slides forward and back smoothly. I also prepped and epoxied the tailgate and put it back on the truck. New chains should arrive today. I had removed the rear bumper while I was doing the rear diff. so I worked on it and gave it a good coat of epoxy and I'm working on final prep. I forgot to mention that I also got the vent windows finished and ready to install when I get the inside of the doors window frames prepped and painted. I've also got the center console in the works.
I want to give a shout out to Christian Carpenter for the idea on his exhaust pipe cup holders. I've stolen your idea.
The biggest news is Sanity is now a legal resident of Arizona. I got the title changed and got the registration and plates.

Nice console, is that an old toolbox?
Attached Images

kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #956
pdxhall

Yes, it's an old Craftsman toolbox. I'll be putting the original hardware that I've cleaned up plus a few modifications.
I also got my tailgate chains, so I put them on for now and installed the tailgate.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #957
pdxhall

I'm working on getting the rear bumper ready for another coat of epoxy. I've got a couple of small dents ts deal with first. I have also been working on repairing 3 cage nuts on the nuts that hold the door panel in place. I've got the one on the pass. door done and 1 of the 2 on the driver's side done. The last one is torn out a little more than the first 2, but still easily repaired. I wanted to get this done before working on the side window assembly.
I put a WTB on the appropriate parts page but I've had no response so I'll put it up here. I am looking for a very nice original driver's side vent window handle.
It doesn't need to be NOS but needs to have no pitting.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #958
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Sanity is looking good and glad nothing bad happened with the tire. Would have been alot worse headed down the road at 55 that's for sure! I also stole the cup holder idea for the 64 haha Works great.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #959
pdxhall

Thanks for looking in TJ. Yup, blessing in disguise. I'm loving the cup holders. I'm thinking that I might make them removeable from the frame with some thumb screws or something. They would make a great wind proof cup holder when I sit outside.
I'm working on getting the rear bumper back on for now until paint. I test fit it with the new bolts and it looks great but I need to get some spacers in or possibly move the bracket out. Right now the bumper is about 1/16" from the back of the bed. I'll get some pictures up when I get it right. I also got the paint for the license plate bumper bracket and plate holder, so I'm hoping to get them and my headlight brackets for my big truck grill painted today. The front bumper has some surface rust that I need to remove and a little sanding and epoxy primer so time permitting, I will remove the bumper today. I'm going to try and get the front end aligned this week. I'm trying to get some things done right now because we're having some 70+ deg. days right now.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #960
pdxhall

Well, we've actually been having some winter down here in the land of sunshine so0 it has slowed me down a bit on any painting unless I hook up my heater. I've been working on my center console. I did get the rear bumper finished until paint, so I put it back on. I did end up moving the brackets out some more and everything aligns good. I also installed my modified license plate holder. I got the interior door frames painted before the cold spell so I'll be able to start assembly of the side glass. I'm trying to order new side glass in the green tint but so far every place I've checked it is on back order.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #961
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Here in Oregon we get liquid sunshine haha
Rear bumper came out good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #962
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Here in Oregon we get liquid sunshine haha
Rear bumper came out good!
I know, I lived in the Portland/Gresham area for 30 some years. My 2 sons and a lot of friends still live up there. It's been great living down here but we've had colder than normal weather lately and some rain. I thought I had moved away from this stuff. thanks for the comment on the bumper. Here is another pic that shows it a little better. I modified the stock bracket for the license plate and made the license plate mount to appear it's floating. With the tailgate done and the new chains, all I need to do is find some back up lights and get them mounted and hook up the wires, the rear is done except for final prep and paint
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #963
pdxhall

I'm getting ready to start installation of the door glass and I need to order the felts, etc. for the installation. All of the hardware for the window cranks has been rebuilt and the vent window rebuild is done. What felts did you go with and what is your opinion on them?
I was able to get some epoxy on the front bumper, C60 grill, and the interior door panels. The bumper is ready for final prep and paint so it's going back on until paint time.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:52 PM   #964
cwcarpenter98

I used Precision seals and felts for my doors. The fit wasn't a problem, but I am a little disappointed that the outside of the seals/felt thingys in the window channel/door frame have already faded. I would assume that's from sitting in the GA sun all the time since I don't have a garage to park it in. They still seal well though, so I have no motivation to change them out.

The rear bumper is fitting up real nice

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #965
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I used Precision seals and felts for my doors. The fit wasn't a problem, but I am a little disappointed that the outside of the seals/felt thingys in the window channel/door frame have already faded. I would assume that's from sitting in the GA sun all the time since I don't have a garage to park it in. They still seal well though, so I have no motivation to change them out.

The rear bumper is fitting up real nice
Thanks Christian, I have used Precision in the past with good results.
I got the new window glass delivered so all I need is the felts and I'm ready to install the side glass. Here are a few pics of what I'm working on. all of the door glass parts restored and ready for installation, final coat of epoxy on front bumper and ready to install until paint, the toolbox center console ready for clear coat then assembly, and the console base and cup holders are ready for paint and the door panel being straightened.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #966
pdxhall

I put the front bumper on today. All smooth and ready for final prep and paint. This is my original bumper that I stripped, sanded a little, and shot the epoxy. No Other work was needed.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2023, 03:26 AM   #967
Braunschweiger

Turned out very beautiful

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #968
pdxhall

Thanks for your comment, sir. I am very happy.with it so far. I will be changing the grill with my C60 grill once it is ready.
Right now I am finishing the install of my cab floor vents. I put them in with a few screws just to get them out of the way. Now they will be permantly installed. The pass. side is done and the driver side is close.
I also now have all the parts together to start installing the door glass. I got my order from Steele rubber and it is really nice.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2023, 01:21 PM   #969
pdxhall

i got started on my door glass installation. The pass. side is done except for the felt window wipers. The driver's door is next but I'm waiting on a new regulator.
The one I rebuilt is just not quite right. Here's a couple of pics of the door and the inside floor vents with the handles on the bottom rather than the top of the vent.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2023, 03:21 PM   #970
pdxhall

The new window regulator is being delivered today. I hope it is early enough that I can get the driver's side glass completed. If not, tomorrow is another day. I've also been working on the front of the hood. There are just a few slight quarter sized dents after I blocked it out that I'm slowly getting done. We're having a cold spell, so I have to hold out till it goes away. Sanity is almost assembled as far as I can before paint.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:23 PM   #971
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Cant wait to see it painted!
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #972
Braunschweiger

You're doing a great Job, the little things also take their time, but you're always making progress.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #973
bigmoe

Biggest problem people seem to have is the window not wanting to go up all the way because the metal at the bottom of the glass hits the felt wipers. There's a lot of threads on this subject and there's a few ways around the problem. One way is to cut new glass that's taller so the window closes before the metal can hit. What I did was pinch that bottom metal in the vice so it just fit the glass. I then used windshield urethane to fasten the glass instead of the rubber. If you go to a glass shop at quitting time you can get part tubes of urethane for free because it just hardens up overnight.

And new window regulators are a must. I thought my originals were good but they rattled and my drivers side window would come down a bit from road bumps.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:30 PM   #974
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE View Post
Cant wait to see it painted!
Thanks for looking in. I've got to find a painter. It appears to be about a 6 month back log at all the paint shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
You're doing a great Job, the little things also take their time, but you're always making progress.
I agree. I've got the truck legal to drive but there is still a lot to do. Several things I need to wait on until after paint such as the bed wood and some seals, etc, on the doors. Thanks for checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Biggest problem people seem to have is the window not wanting to go up all the way because the metal at the bottom of the glass hits the felt wipers. There's a lot of threads on this subject and there's a few ways around the problem. One way is to cut new glass that's taller so the window closes before the metal can hit. What I did was pinch that bottom metal in the vice so it just fit the glass. I then used windshield urethane to fasten the glass instead of the rubber. If you go to a glass shop at quitting time you can get part tubes of urethane for free because it just hardens up overnight.
And new window regulators are a
must. I thought my originals were good but they rattled and my drivers side window would come down a bit from road bumps.
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a new driver's side regulator that I now have and will be working on installing the fuzzies on both doors. The pass. side regulator was completely rebuilt and is working good. Wish me luck on the fuzzies.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:43 PM   #975
pdxhall

Well, I had to take a break on the fuzzies. I got the same problem that many have had and I need to take some time working it out. I decided to prep some areas to work on and get some more primer on in the next few days. We've got some warmer weather coming this weekend. Other than that, I have very few things that I will do before painting the truck. I know it's going to be a wait to get that done, so I'll keep on blocking out the body until then. I've got the nose of the truck ready for final primer. I can then get the park/turn signal lights installed for now Other than that I need a front end alignment before I drive it.
Attached Images