The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Budman56

Tv kickdown cable

Hey just wanted to know what everyone thought about this cable i saw at the pomona swap meet.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Budman56

Re: Tv kickdown cable

Here is the photo
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman56 View Post
Hey just wanted to know what everyone thought about this cable i saw at the pomona swap meet.
First of all it isnt a kick down cable.....
second BTOD is a great company
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
First of all it isnt a kick down cable.....
second BTOD is a great company
are you an employee or owner? I was just wondering if they really work as advertised? its a lot of money for this cable to get my 7oor4 trans to work with my edlebrock carb, I have seen carb brackets that are supposed to do the same thing for around $50. dollars. and as for it being a kick down cable thats what I thought it was? SORRY FOR BE F&#KING STUPPID!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
tincan1966

Adjustment of the TV cable on 700R's is very critical. it's another one of those things where cheap may not be the way to go. Get a part that works and fits right and have it adjusted properly in order for the trans to last. I generally stay away from "one fits all" kits, but I admit I have never used this company, it may be worth a look.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
brokenspoke

Quote:
are you an employee or owner? I was just wondering if they really work as advertised? its a lot of money for this cable to get my 7oor4 trans to work with my edlebrock carb, I have seen carb brackets that are supposed to do the same thing for around $50. dollars. and as for it being a kick down cable thats what I thought it was? SORRY FOR BE F&#KING STUPPID!!!!!!!
No I'm not an employee....on my 200 4 R transmission I just bought the carb part of the cable and used the stock cable.....It works perfectly... sorry I cam across rude....its a learning curve for sure....what ever you choose get as the TV is so critical to the transmission
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
.... and as for it being a kick down cable thats what I thought it was?
on a 700r the cable does more than just cause the transmission to kickdown, which is why it's called a TV (throttle valve) cable as opposed to a "kickdown" cable like on a th350 or th400 and why it is necessary to get the proper adjustment. you don't just set it to kick down when you want it to like on one of those other transmissions

Bow Tie Overdrives is considered a good source

you do need to research this subject as it is important on a 700r
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Moved ya to engine and drivetrain.

Since we are discussing this are the adjustment proceedures the same for 700, 350 etc? I've done some searching on how to adjust a TV cable. Some are very technical and complicates everything. I did find one that explained it in simple terms. I saved the link and now I can't find it.

What is the proper procedure for those that don't know.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
SeventyOne

What edelbrock carb do you have?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
AustinScott

I just bought a 2004r tranny from bowtie, here is a bit of text directly from thier install guide.

Quote:
While the shift timing and feel can be adjusted to give you many different transmission personalities, the hydraulic pressure
management part of this TV system must always perform a very specific function. This can only be confirmed with a pressure
gauge attached to the hydraulic pump port on the transmission.
Here is another way to state this. You can alter the shift timing and feel of the transmission and it will rarely cause damage to
the transmission. This is not true for the pressure control side of the TV cable’s duties. If you get the transmissions hydraulic
volume and pressure control system out of a specific operating range, it can be fatal to this transmission. This is the reason
we never use shift timing and feel as a method of determining if the transmission is working correctly. As you
experiment with these various shift timing and feel settings you must always maintain sufficient hydraulic operating
pressures.
Since this subject is so poorly understood, we are going to state this still another way. You can vary the TV cables “pull”
characteristics and the results will produce dramatically different shift timing and feel characteristics. At the same time, this
must be accomplished while maintaining adequate internal operating pressures. The difference between these various correct
set ups is how it shifts and feels with different throttle settings. In other words it is the major “tuning” tool that you will use to
get the transmission to shift like you want it to shift. You can consider yourself forewarned, it is easy to get this transmission to
feel correct and be fatally inadequate in the hydraulic pressure production department. This is the reason we emphasize the
pressure gauge while doing this set up. Poor shifting characteristics may annoy you but they will rarely hurt anything.
Bottom line is this. The following statement must be true after you get the combination of shift timing and feel you want.
Pressure regulation should track correspondingly to throttle position. When pulling the TV cable without moving the throttle
linkage your hydraulic pressures should rise instantaneously. Our heart felt advice is to take your time and be certain you
understand the TV instructions. Budget as much time as required to set up the correct shift timing and feel for your application.
Relax and enjoy the journey, the results will be worth it! We don’t want you to think that this is difficult, it’s really not, it’s just
very important! If you get confused, please call us, we wish to help!
this kinda explains why their EZ-tv system works, it allows you to adjust "shift" feel without ever endangering the system with low pressure. In effect it changes the arc of the throttle swing, but the distance of the cable pull is the same.

ALso, if you want to know even more, this site will explain EVERYTHING TYMADEEZ

Hope this helps..

-=Scott=-
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
What edelbrock carb do you have?
I don't know if your asking me or not, but I will answer. I have the Eldebrock 1407 with the TCI adapter for the TV cable to get the geometry correct.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I think it is important that correct adjustment be explained as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I don't know if your asking me or not, but I will answer. I have the Eldebrock 1407 with the TCI adapter for the TV cable to get the geometry correct.
No but your answer is still what I was after. I have an Edelbrock 1806. Bought the TCI throttle arm bracket but can't seem to figure out which is the right part for the TV cable. Thinking Edelbrock #8031 will do it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8031/
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
HEI451
Account Suspended

Avoid the BTOD pain and agony. The GM chassis manuals have a transmission section, with a diagram of how to do this setup the right way, for far less money than what is offered by BTOD. It isn't that hard to do.

Anyone want that page, send me an e/mail and I will be happy to send it to you fully gratis. Please use this e/mail address, and request the TH cable page. It could also be posted in this topic, and possibly made a sticky too. info@davessmallbodyheis.com
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
Avoid the BTOD pain and agony. The GM chassis manuals have a transmission section, with a diagram of how to do this setup the right way, for far less money than what is offered by BTOD. It isn't that hard to do.

Anyone want that page, send me an e/mail and I will be happy to send it to you fully gratis. Please use this e/mail address, and request the TH cable page. It could also be posted in this topic, and possibly made a sticky too. info@davessmallbodyheis.com
The BTO TV kit is well engineered, GM manuals dont help with the wrong geometry & wrong length TV spring issuses associated with transplants.

Ive used hudereds of them, They work great with no agony. I build my own transmissions so I cant vouch for their transmissions, BUT their TV kits DO WORK.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
No but your answer is still what I was after. I have an Edelbrock 1806. Bought the TCI throttle arm bracket but can't seem to figure out which is the right part for the TV cable. Thinking Edelbrock #8031 will do it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8031/
I have a Lokar cable. Here is some of the hardware that I'm running. The cable has been adjusted since this pic. My starting point was to adjust the ball to just touch the throttle linkage at idle.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
clinebarger

The Lokar Throttle cable bracket you have is for a cable style throttle, Its NOT a TV cable bracket, See how your cable is running "downhill" to the carb, That WILL NOT work....The stainless cable will eat right through the aluminum cable end.

You have to set those cables with a pressure gauge.....1 to 2 PSI over "minimum regulated pressure" at idle to Full cable pull at WOT.

This will be hard to acheive even if you had the right TV bracket & impossible with what you currently have. The TV spring WILL be the wrong length for what "geometry/arc/pull" you have, You might get lucky & have a TV spring that is to long & it will shift hard & late, Have one to short....You WILL burn the 3-4 clutches.

It would be a 100 times easier to buy a BTO set-up, But if you deside to run this I will help, But you need a TV bracket first.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #17
67swb72klb

clinebarger how do u sugest tv adjustment on a 2004r with pressure guage ?
i adjusted mine to get a instant pressure rise off idle thanks

Last edited by 67swb72klb; 03-08-2012 at 02:24 AM.
67swb72klb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
clinebarger how do u sugest tv adjustment with pressure guage ?
i adjusted mine to get a instant pressure rise off idle thanks
Putting a small amount of pressure preload will give instant pressure rise & given the geometry is correct will bury the throttle valve at WOT.

The TV cable disconnected pressure reading is the "minimum regulated pressure" Lets say its 70 psi.....Shoot for 71-72 psi with the cable connected.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #19
67swb72klb

i dont remember what the exact pres reading was
but the instant pres rise is what (from what i have read)is the most important thing when setting the cable
thanks for your input
Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
i dont remember what the exact pres reading was
but the instant pres rise is what (from what i have read)is the most important thing when setting the cable
thanks for your input
I would have to agree! But its only half the story on TV cable set-up, Starting from minimum pressure to maximum pressure is important.
Most people running a transplant 700R4 have to much preload at idle but running a heavy weighted governor which can make them "seem" to shift correctly.

I get carried away on this subject
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #21
67swb72klb

i dont know if the geometry is 100% correct but it is close anyway that is how i set it it shifts kinda fast but has been working good so far 200/300 miles on it thanks again
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
HEI451
Account Suspended

I'll stick with doing it the right way, as outlined in the GM manual, that is what fixed the 30 or so BTOD disasters I have had to have re-rbuilt by other, much, much better shops than BTOD.

And, I WAS one of the persons that prompted the late Steve Holmes to "design" his "fix" bracket set after I had redone so many of his transmissions that went south because he didn't have any instructions on how to do the trans cable at all, before his brackets were even "invented".

There is a whole car club in So. Cal., that will not have anything to do with BTOD, because everyone in that club had problems with their BTOD transmissions.

I'm NOT stupid, nor care to use things that do not work, and, from much personal experience, the BTOD setup ISN'T the cat's meow in this bracket setup. What did fix those cable setups, was following the GM manual setups to the letter, THEY fixed the issues, long before BTOD ever got off their 6 and "invented" their cable bracket. To get that first BTOD trans fixed after they told me, and the car owner, that if the trans went away, it was ALL OUR FAULT, and that they wouldn't stand behind their work. What they also did not tell us, was anything at all, either in their instructions, nor over the tech lines, of how to set the trans cable up, period. I had to go to Don Steves Chevrolet, in La Habra, Ca., to get the right info, from the factory manual, on how to do it right.

BTOD, NO, THANKS, there are a lot better ways to do it right, and their stuff ain't it.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
I'll stick with doing it the right way, as outlined in the GM manual, that is what fixed the 30 or so BTOD disasters I have had to have re-rbuilt by other, much, much better shops than BTOD.

And, I WAS one of the persons that prompted the late Steve Holmes to "design" his "fix" bracket set after I had redone so many of his transmissions that went south because he didn't have any instructions on how to do the trans cable at all, before his brackets were even "invented".

There is a whole car club in So. Cal., that will not have anything to do with BTOD, because everyone in that club had problems with their BTOD transmissions.

I'm NOT stupid, nor care to use things that do not work, and, from much personal experience, the BTOD setup ISN'T the cat's meow in this bracket setup. What did fix those cable setups, was following the GM manual setups to the letter, THEY fixed the issues, long before BTOD ever got off their 6 and "invented" their cable bracket. To get that first BTOD trans fixed after they told me, and the car owner, that if the trans went away, it was ALL OUR FAULT, and that they wouldn't stand behind their work. What they also did not tell us, was anything at all, either in their instructions, nor over the tech lines, of how to set the trans cable up, period. I had to go to Don Steves Chevrolet, in La Habra, Ca., to get the right info, from the factory manual, on how to do it right.

BTOD, NO, THANKS, there are a lot better ways to do it right, and their stuff ain't it.
Im all ears to the "right way". I dont mind learning something new.
So your saying the BTO TV made easy kit doesnt work? Or do you just hate BTO no matter if their product is good or not?

I still dont understand what GM has to do with correcting geometry on a AFB or Holley carb.

I dont think your stupid. Some of your post helped me with some ignition timing issuse I was having with my 70.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Im all ears to the "right way". I dont mind learning something new.
So your saying the BTO TV made easy kit doesnt work? Or do you just hate BTO no matter if their product is good or not?

I still dont understand what GM has to do with correcting geometry on a AFB or Holley carb.

I dont think your stupid. Some of your post helped me with some ignition timing issuse I was having with my 70.
other than BTO tv made easy
what do you recomend to have and how to adjust that the proper way?
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post
other than BTO tv made easy
what do you recomend to have and how to adjust that the proper way?
What carb are you running? Are you willing to buy & use a trans pressure gauge?