The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Is it an Edelbrock? Predator? Shiny Q-jet? A mailbox? Nope...the new BG speed demon!!

Get a load of this! Man....I'm taking off my Holleys and putting these on my tunnel ram!
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Is it an Edelbrock? Predator? Shiny Q-jet? A mailbox? Nope...the new BG speed dem

Seriously? Wtf is that thing.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Is it an Edelbrock? Predator? Shiny Q-jet? A mailbox? Nope...the new BG speed dem

First glance, I thought Carter thermo- quad....it sure looks like a "spin" on the old Carter crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 03-05-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

looks like an edelbrock with a funny box on it

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What the.........

I had heard something that sounded like the Demons were coming back, but I never would have imagined something like that.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Looks like TROUBLE to me LOL

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Seriously? Wtf is that thing.
I think this is when engineers forget what the rest of an engine looks like. I'm sure it performs just fine but oh my goodness. Heck....the Q-jet guys will LOVE this. They obviously don't care about looks anyways!

Sorry.....
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
ItsRandy

Looks like a thermo-quad to me. I like the design patent reference and the patent pending for the mechanical patent. I guess we'll see how far that goes.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

The 2nd coming of Barry Grant should be wonderful. They even found a market for a vacuum secondary DOMINATOR!!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I just found out that George Barris designed the new Speed Demon after what was on the original Batmobile!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
79shortbed

It ain't going anywhere near my engine... It may eat it...
79shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
HEI451
Account Suspended

Not many people reailze that Holley made a couple of "three barrel" carbs, 950 and 1050 cfm's years ago, GREAT carbs. They used conventional primary barrels, 2, and ONE oval secondary "barrel".

That said, Carter also made a 3 bbl, in very limited application for certain NASBORE engines, and only for ONE year. The Carter 3 bbl's are extremely rare, and, with them, you get all the trouble and un-tune-ability of any Carter AFB/Edelbrock clone in the universe.

The 950 Holley used a fully oval secs plate, and drop boosters, the 1050 and Carter had two dump tubes for boosters. The ONLY benefit I can see in the picture above of thins new Carter clone nightmare is the air valve over the secs plate. It works like the Carter AVS (air valve secondary), and the AVS was the ONLY light in the dark tunnel of AFB evolution disaster.

As far as that thing in the pictures, NOT A CHANCE I will ever waste any time with it, nor spend any money for one, just isn't worth history repeating itself, especially if Barney Grunt had anything to do with it. It really is too bad that BG hasn't ever had an original idea for carb development, all he seems to do is come up with his "breakthroughs" that are only bad rehashing of better ideas already tried/used.

But, what do I know about carbs, I just worked at Holley for 5 years.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
68_Step

Wow... That's ugly, but shiny!
68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
dznucks

Maybe BG is on to something with this carb. Figuring that the vast majority of his carbs end up on a shelf. Maybe he wants it to look good enought to end up on the den/family room shelf instead of the basement shelf.

At least its got bigger fuel bowls than an Edlebrock. Maybe thats the patent thats pending.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think this is when engineers forget what the rest of an engine looks like. I'm sure it performs just fine but oh my goodness. Heck....the Q-jet guys will LOVE this. They obviously don't care about looks anyways!

Sorry.....
Just put a big , drop base filter on it....& you dont have to see it Try a pair of them on old pro street( I dare you)! crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
Not many people reailze that Holley made a couple of "three barrel" carbs, 950 and 1050 cfm's years ago, GREAT carbs. They used conventional primary barrels, 2, and ONE oval secondary "barrel".
I still have the one that was on my 'Cuda years ago... 950 cfm
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
crazy longhorn

I to, am old enough to remember those old 3 barrel Holleys....never did try one tho.....crazyL
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
It works like the Carter AVS (air valve secondary), and the AVS was the ONLY light in the dark tunnel of AFB evolution disaster.
If that Demon is an AVS design, that's sweet. I have an Edelbrock Thunder AVS on a Mopar big block. Some Mopars came with Carter AVS carbs, so I wanted to give the Edelbrock a try. It's simple to tune and very streetable.

That new carb looks neat, as a block of sleek looking metal, but is that necessary? Looks don't a good carb make...
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
crazy longhorn

One of you guys need to try it out....this old man is goin "fuelie" on the next trip crazyl
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
raceman6135
Dino burner

I agree with you, Crazy ... fuel injection is getting less and less expensive and easier and easier to install, set up and run, and offers better fuel economy for the same or more horsepower.

Why would BG (or whoever is behind the latest incarnation of Demon carburetors) even bother bringing out a "new" carburetor? There's a whole generation of young car guys and girls who haven't been able to buy a new vehicle with a carburetor.

Oh well, I'm sure someone will buy them. Certainly won't be this guy.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I can answer that! I am "HP Carburetors" on ebay and I sell anywhere from 250-300 holleys a year on that site alone. You bet that fuel injection is starting to come down and it is still crazy expensive. You run a poll on this site to see how many guys are running AFTERMARKET fuel injection. I don't mean the stock TBI or whatever came on their truck. It would still be a landslide of guys running the good ole carburetor. That is why BG is tweeking them and why the carburetor will still be around for a long, long time!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
crazy longhorn

I guess we have to see what kind of "feedback" it brings....he!! it might be the new wave in carbs....but it dont say HOLLEY on it crazyL
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #23
cableguy0

The BG/DEMON name is ruined. The carbs are almost universally known as garbage. I have never personally met anyone who can actually make one run right. I wont even bother trying personally. Barry Grant is a real smart guy but I think he should have stayed at Holley as a tech. The carburetor has pretty much been figured out and mastered for about 1/2 a century. The afb design fails on too many levels. Yea the seem to run fine but a dyno sheet or time slip shows that they arent running how they should in almost every case.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

THAT is the grossest lookin' carb I have ever seen... even uglier than the "new" Summit "racing" carb that is a knockoff of the ugly ass Holley 4010.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #25
crazy longhorn

Quote:
I can answer that! I am "HP Carburetors" on ebay and I sell anywhere from 250-300 holleys a year on that site alone. You bet that fuel injection is starting to come down and it is still crazy expensive. You run a poll on this site to see how many guys are running AFTERMARKET fuel injection. I don't mean the stock TBI or whatever came on their truck. It would still be a landslide of guys running the good ole carburetor. That is why BG is tweeking them and why the carburetor will still be around for a long, long time!
Try 2 of them ugly "peckerwoods" on old pro street....I double dare you heck,all you will see is the scoop above the hood Just messin with you....crazyL