The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #176
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

I have an idea for everyone (like me) who would like to run this cruise module but either doesn't have an ls or isn't running a vss. I think you can use a DRAC module (also known as a vehicle speed buffer) to run any of the in line vss senders like the jags that run units. The drac module is found on most all 90-95 or so gm vehicles. They don't seem to ever have any trouble and are probably only a couple bucks at any junk yard. They put out the required 4kppm signal (originally sent from the drac to the speedo) that this cruise unit requires.

The secondary benefit from this drac module that I can see is if you wanted to do it differently, it would allow you to run a normal electronic gm vss at the Trans, up to the computer and drac, and run a normal gm electronic speedo head unit in place of your old cable drive unit. So, just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #177
UATahoe

I'm using an ls1 out of a 2002 ss camaro for my swap. What year cruise module should I be looking for? I have the one from the 02 but see now it's a good module to use. Do the cruise cables work or do the need to be modified at the tb end?
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #178
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
I'm using an ls1 out of a 2002 ss camaro for my swap. What year cruise module should I be looking for? I have the one from the 02 but see now it's a good module to use. Do the cruise cables work or do the need to be modified at the tb end?
You won't have to modify the end of the cable if you're using a Camaro cruise module and putting it on a Camaro LS1.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #179
UATahoe

But I need to use a module from a 98 camaro right? The 02 one I have will require the h pin to be connected?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #180
ls1nova71

If you have a 2002 engine, and a 2002 cruise module, just wire it up like the factory did. the H wire is the cruise inhibit and just goes back to the PCM.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #181
UATahoe

Oh ok. Gotcha. I thought there was more to wiring it up through the ecu. That makes it stupid easy then. Lol. Thanks nova!

Last edited by UATahoe; 01-17-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #182
UATahoe

Where does the h wire go to on the pcm? What signal is the h pin?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #183
UATahoe

Figured out the pin locations. Anybody have any idea on where I can find the wiring layout of the factory cruise? I have looked through the wiring manual but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Was thinking there was a color layout on which wires performed which functions within the column. My turn signal lever also has the windshield wiper functions built in to the stalk.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #184
ls1nova71

Where the cruise switch plugs in there are 4 wires, they are as follows

Pink- ignition power
Dk green - resume/accel
Dk blue - set/coast
Gray - on/off
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #185
UATahoe

Thanks nova! Saw the color layout in the first post but wasn't sure if the switches with built in wiper control had different color wires. Thanks again for all of the info!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #186
XwalkerX

hey LS1Nova I have a 2005 5.3 in my truck but im running a 2002 PCM and cable throttle body.

I have to find a cruise module and pigtail still.
(side question: can I run one from an s10 as long as it doesn't have a wire from the H terminal and just go to the dealer to get the correct fitting for it to mount on my throttle body?)

ideally id like to run a toggle to power the system and a momentary to set it just to keep a cleaner look.

so for the toggle switch it would just be:
the grey wire which should be on/off (terminal A on the cruise module) on one side
the lead to 12v with the ignition on the other side?

for the momentary switch it should be:
one side going to the dark blue wire which is set/coast (terminal B on the cruise module) the other side going to green which is resume/accel (terminal C on the cruise module)
in the middle would be the 12v with ignition on

other than that I just follow everything else you posted in the original post?
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #187
XwalkerX

so some of the 99-02 Silverado cruise modules I see on ebay have a wire in the H terminal.

would this work for my application and if so how do I wire it up since you don't mention it in the original post?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...ZWqq~x&vxp=mtr
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #188
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
hey LS1Nova I have a 2005 5.3 in my truck but im running a 2002 PCM and cable throttle body.

I have to find a cruise module and pigtail still.
(side question: can I run one from an s10 as long as it doesn't have a wire from the H terminal and just go to the dealer to get the correct fitting for it to mount on my throttle body?)As easy as it is to find a Silverado module, I would try to find one. You can't really change the end of the cable very easily.

ideally id like to run a toggle to power the system and a momentary to set it just to keep a cleaner look.

so for the toggle switch it would just be:
the grey wire which should be on/off (terminal A on the cruise module) on one side
the lead to 12v with the ignition on the other side? Correct

for the momentary switch it should be:
one side going to the dark blue wire which is set/coast (terminal B on the cruise module) the other side going to green which is resume/accel (terminal C on the cruise module)
in the middle would be the 12v with ignition on This is correct if you have a two position toggle switch, you just have to make sure it rests at no voltage.

other than that I just follow everything else you posted in the original post?Correct
Answers in bold above. As for the H terminal, if you get a module out of a truck, it will be fine, the not having the H is more for car modules.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #189
XwalkerX

perfect i found a silverado module that ill be picking up along with this brake light switch i found on amazon

Amazon.com: ACDelco D862C Professional Brake... Amazon.com: ACDelco D862C Professional Brake...
i do have another question though... how exactly do you hook up a momentary toggle switch like this with 6 leads on the back of the switch????

Amazon.com: 1 Piece Blue (On)-off-(on) On-off-on... Amazon.com: 1 Piece Blue (On)-off-(on) On-off-on...
Old 03-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #190
ls1nova71

Not sure how to hook up that switch, but would assume you would only use three of the terminals. The switch may have a diagram on it, if not you would have to just check it with a multimeter.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:01 AM   #191
68c10airstream

I'll go out on a limb on your momentary switch. If the switch returns to the center and you can toggle it up and down this is my wiring layout;

Ls1 nova's plug in wiring layout applied to your momentary switch would be
Power from fused source (pink) to the center terminal

resume/accel (dark green) go to the next terminal say it's the above terminal in the above illustration

set/coast (dark blue) goes to the lower terminal, say its the terminal below

The key here is the wiring needs to be all in a row, as an example take all the rh terminals on the switch shown, center is power in, upper terminal makes contact with the center terminal when the toggle lever is pushed down, lower terminal makes contact with the center terminal when the toggle lever is moved up..

To sum up the above description power comes into the center terminal and goes nowhere until the lever is moved up or down. When the lever is moved power then comes from the center terminal and goes out to the corresponding terminal as a momentary power signal. Hope this helps.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #192
68c10airstream

I should add that the above blue switch is only used for accel/set and decal/coast. You still need an on/off switch as a redundant means to turn it off. I added cruise to my throttle by cable 2001 5.3 ls and the only trouble I had was my cruise box gets 2 power sources, one from the brake switch and one from a fused circuit. My turn signal lever just has a set button and the switch had some dust inside it and was not getting a strong voltage signal when pressed, so my cruise wouldn't set. I ended up running a relay that was turned on by the lever set button, problem cured.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #193
XwalkerX

thanks guys!

just bought this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111924522110...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

now need to order my brake light switch and a momentary switch (already have a spare on/off toggle)

hopefully everything goes smooth...(knock on wood)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #194
kehstr

subscribed
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #195
XwalkerX

Nova I'm really hoping you can help me here.

I've got everything hooked up correctly BUT I'm getting bleed off from.the cruise box to the G- wire so the cruise won't engage because it's getting 9/10 volts as if the brake pedal is getting pressed.

Any idea why this is happening?

I tested with key on and the plug at the box unplugged only F and K wires are getting voltage.

However when I plug it back into the cruise module it bleeds off into the G wire. So is the box shot? Is there a way to fix this?

This is the last piece of the puzzle everything else is hooked up properly. Hopefully you/anyone can help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #196
ls1nova71

Not 100% following you. how do you know you're getting "bleed off" to the G wire? Also, with the plug unplugged and the key ON and foot off the brake pedal, you should only have power at F and D, not K. Are you sure everything is wired up correctly?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #197
XwalkerX

ok so this is how i have everything hooked up

A- 1 side of on/off toggle switch
B- 1 side of off-(on)-off momentary toggle switch
C- 1 side of off-(on)-off momentary toggle switch
D- 1 side of brake switch (12v key on but 0v pedal depressed)
E- Ground
F- 12v power supply to module with key on that runs through an inline fuse to the other side of on/off toggle (then the power pulled from toggle switch goes to middle of momentary)
G- supposed to go to other leads from brake light switch that only sends 12v when the pedal is pressed (currently this wire is reading 9/10v while not even hooked up to the leads from the brake switch)
H- n/a
J- n/a
K- bridged into wire at pin 50 on pcm

so if i take a reading at the plug with cruise plug unplugged from the box but key on i see 12v to pin F and roughly 9v to pin K (which i assumed was correct for the VSS reading but perhaps its not) and no other pins produce power.

however when i plug the connector back into the cruise module pin G produces 9/10v roughly along with those other two pins i mentioned (F+K) and since the other end of the G wire is not hooked up to anything its clearly being energized somehow from the box.

i hope that makes sense?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #198
ls1nova71

Most of that sounds right, but pin K is the speed signal, I don't believe you should be getting any power on it with the vehicle standing still.

Also, you say G isn't hooked up to the brake light switch? Are you reading power on that wire? You will need to hook that wire up for it to work, The module needs to see a ground through this wire on start up as a brake switch test, if it doesn't see it, it won't work, Same reason you can't use LED taillights, they don't have enough resistance for it to pass the test.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #199
XwalkerX

ok ill try disconnecting the wire for pin K and ill see if that changes the bleed off im getting on pin G

and yeah currently i dont have it hooked up to anything but if the cruise module has the plug in it and i turn the key on for some reason the wire from pin G is getting approx 10v being sent to it.

also. i did just verify that pin D is getting 12v with the key on.

EDIT:

just disconnected the wire for pin K at the tie in which i thought was the VSS (pin 50 on PCM) and turned the key on to check voltage and that wire (again, not hooked up to anything) is getting 5v and i just double checked if it had any effect on the wire for pin G and it does not. pin G is still somehow seeing 10v...?

is it possible that this module is wired differently from the way you have it on your diagram?
this is the exact cruise module i bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111924522110...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by XwalkerX; 03-23-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #200
ls1nova71

Hook up ALL the wires and try it. Just hooking up some and then trying to figure out a problem is going to get you nowhere, you'll be chasing your tail at a problem that may not exist. I have never checked the wires with some unhooked so I cant say for sure what is going on, but I suspect youre getting feed back from something not being hooked up. You NEED that brake light wire hooked up for it to work. And no, there's no chance it would be wired up any other way than the diagram if you are using a truck module.

Hook up all the wires and let me know what happens.