The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #151
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: '60 GMC Suburban (Project D-Daddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
Question on the gas tank work you did. I just got a 61 Chevy Sub and I am rewiring the entire truck and I noticed that the sending unit for the tank is on the top... or I couldn't find it anywhere else anyway! When dropping the tank did you have any problems or have any advice on that process? Are there hard lines going to fuel port on the top or soft?

Thanks,

-Panelrodder
Yes, the sending unit is on top a little towards the pass. side. There more than likely is about 6" or so of rubber line that connects the hard line to sender. Mine pretty much disentigrated when I pulled my tank down. The hardest part is dealing with the filler neck and vent hose. That is SOB when you put it back together. Other than that, it is super simple. Good luck!

Check a couple pages back on this thread and you will see what the tank and sender look like.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #152
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Yes, the sending unit is on top a little towards the pass. side. There more than likely is about 6" or so of rubber line that connects the hard line to sender. Mine pretty much disentigrated when I pulled my tank down. The hardest part is dealing with the filler neck and vent hose. That is SOB when you put it back together. Other than that, it is super simple. Good luck!

Check a couple pages back on this thread and you will see what the tank and sender look like.
I've looked your thread over regularly since I got my Sub and the actual dropping of the tank was the only part I was slightly confused about so thanks for the info and good luck wishes!

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #153
justcuz

What are you doing in Vancouver? Whats going on with the vehicles?
My wife and Mom are in Seattle now and are going to be in BC in a few days. I had to stay home and work, plus it was a girls trip. Two other women went along too, I chose to stay home. They are going on a cruise ship to Alaska, so it will be fun for them.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #154
Corts60
Just here to tinker

That's good man. I am actually in Victoria, which is on Vancouver Island, not Vancouver the city. I am going to school up here and living with my wonderful girlfriend. The 'burb is down in Astoria at a friends house until I figure out what I am doing and if I can make room to bring it up. Until then....no progress. I brought the '78 up with me but haven't made any progress with it.

Hope all is well. I haven't been on the board much lately because life is in full swing summer mode.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #155
jimmydean

Damn, ride some north shore trails for me while you are up there!
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #156
el_guapo

Man, loving the burb/ making a guy want one. Congrats
el_guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #157
Dinos63
chevy only

killer pics!! great thread
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #158
sgaylord
Project collector

Hey Cort,

I think you have my camper there. I have pics of it being pulled behind my truck!...

Awesome to see that really cool burb is on the road. I know you are stoked!

I included a pic of the 60 as it looks now. Nothing much has changed except wheels and tires and I cleaned up the wood in the bed.

What's up with moving to Canada?

Steve

Name:  60gmc.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  101_1336.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  58.2 KB

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 Harley Street Glide CVO

Roll Tide!
sgaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #159
shiny

Small world! I knew I had seen this burb before and was thinking where? I was camping near you guys at BP! I drove my '35 Phaeton down from up here, I am about 40 minutes north of Vic City. I chatted with you and your girl for a bit about the burb and trailer. You camped with all the Estranged guys right? Too funny. We went in 2010 too
How you liking Victoria? I am born and raised there.

-Shiny
Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #160
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaylord View Post
Hey Cort,

I think you have my camper there. I have pics of it being pulled behind my truck!...

Awesome to see that really cool burb is on the road. I know you are stoked!

I included a pic of the 60 as it looks now. Nothing much has changed except wheels and tires and I cleaned up the wood in the bed.

What's up with moving to Canada?

Steve
Hey Steve! Thanks for posting the picture! She looks just beautiful and I hope you have as much fun driving her as I did. As far as moving to Canada, I have a girl up here and I am going to school. I don't think it is permanent and might be heading back to Portland this summer.

I am so glad I sold you the truck and not somebody that was going to rip it apart, put a 350 and 20" rims on it!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #161
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny View Post
Small world! I knew I had seen this burb before and was thinking where? I was camping near you guys at BP! I drove my '35 Phaeton down from up here, I am about 40 minutes north of Vic City. I chatted with you and your girl for a bit about the burb and trailer. You camped with all the Estranged guys right? Too funny. We went in 2010 too
How you liking Victoria? I am born and raised there.

-Shiny
Hey Shiny! Yeah man, so far I have camped every year there since '08. I am hoping to go again this year but we'll see how things go.

I love it up here and have had an awesome time. I haven't decided my final plans up here but right now I am just going to Camosun for some gerenal school. And I miss my suburban!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #162
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Been a long time since any real updates on my 'burb. Being that it sits in Oregon while I go to school in Victoria, I don't get much accomplished. I did get down there this weekend though to drive it and check out my ebay score.
OG HUBCAPS! Three are a little beat and will need some massaging to look decent. But only paid $50 for all 4 and since they are quite rare, I think I did alright. I brought them back up to Victoria with me so I can restore them properly.

I took some pics (please ignore all the mold and running rust, she has been sitting in the NW for 6 months). It was nice to drive her again and get everything warmed up.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #163
rustbucket66

Cool suburban, and the retro trailer. I looked through your blog, the V6 engine I have never seen up here. At first glance the valve covers look like the 348, 409 engines. The spark plugs on the inside of the cylinder heads, that is a little strange for sure. Keep the burb pics coming.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #164
MikeS.

Hey Cort, I'm luvin your burb. I hope you get on here soon and keep us up to date. I've got a 63 burb coming from WA. I'm sure It'll need the gas tank reworked. So I was glad to read what/how you did yours. I'm going to have to find places to do that kind of work. I'm in WVa but am really close to Northern Va where there is a lot more shops and stuff.

Come on back and see us, sit a spell
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #165
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
Hey Cort, I'm luvin your burb. I hope you get on here soon and keep us up to date. I've got a 63 burb coming from WA. I'm sure It'll need the gas tank reworked. So I was glad to read what/how you did yours. I'm going to have to find places to do that kind of work. I'm in WVa but am really close to Northern Va where there is a lot more shops and stuff.

Come on back and see us, sit a spell
Hey man, thanks. I've been hanging around the square body forum a bunch lately because my burb is stored and has been sitting for almost a year now. I really wish it was closer so I could get some work done to it, but maybe this fall will offer a few chances.

I still check the 60-66 forums a bit so feel free to ask any questions or PM me.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #166
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Alright!

I am making some progress finally. Albeit, small progress. I am finally getting around to restoring my hubcaps that I won off of ebay a few months ago. Here are some pics of one that is primered and ready for paint and a pic of the worst one after sand blasting. That one is going to take some massaging to look presentable, but I'll make it work.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #167
Corts60
Just here to tinker

OK! I finally pulled the suburban out last week after a year. I had to adjust the points but then she fired right up and idled. Every time. However, the damn clutch was frozen to the flywheel so it took a little bit of persuasion to get that thing loose. I drove it around the block a couple of times and then parked it. Now that it is ready to go, in the next few weeks I am going to bring it home from storage and finally start some more work on her, so stand by. . . .
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #168
justcuz

Bringing home? Meaning back to Portland or up to Canada? I have not read anything on the square body forum since the Oregon square body Suburban member was banned. He did the 5.3 swap on his square body Suburban.

Since I retired I've been to Michigan, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I'm getting highway fever again and thinkiing about a trip that includes the Columbia River Gorge. If your back in Oregon we can meet up. Not sure when it will be though.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #169
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Bringing home? Meaning back to Portland or up to Canada? I have not read anything on the square body forum since the Oregon square body Suburban member was banned. He did the 5.3 swap on his square body Suburban.

Since I retired I've been to Michigan, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I'm getting highway fever again and thinkiing about a trip that includes the Columbia River Gorge. If your back in Oregon we can meet up. Not sure when it will be though.
Yeah man, I am moving back to Portland and the suburban is out in Astoria right now. I might even bring it back with me this weekend but we'll see.

Totally let me know if you're swinging through.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #170
justcuz

Did you finish school or use up your visa? Bringing the lady back with you? Let me know when you get settled in and I'll try to plan the trip around your being back in Oregon.

We are going back to Michigan/Ohio in October for a few weeks to see the fall colors back east.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #171
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Let's see. . .no, no and no. My lady and I are done, school was only being pursued to stay in Canada and my visa is still good but I really miss Portland. My job here actually begged me not to leave and it was hard to make the decision. Actually, if the job market in Portland is weak then I may end up back here. It was a really good job and they want me bad. But I will be in Portland definitely through October and hopefully for good.

On a different note, I scored a sweet set of 67-72 seat belts for the amazing cost of FREE. Pics to follow.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #172
Corts60
Just here to tinker

So I got these out of our crane truck at work today. I super low mileage '68 chevy 2 1/2 ton. These things are damn near mint with only a couple stains and hardly any fading. Super stoked.

I know they are the wrong era, but they are GM and for the colors I am going to go with on the inside they are perfect.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #173
tylervalo

Haha, work not going to miss the belts?
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #174
justcuz

So you back in Portland now? Sorry to hear it did not work out with the lady, its always nice to have a good one around. Susie and I just celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary Saturday.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #175
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylervalo View Post
Haha, work not going to miss the belts?
Na, the truck will never see the road.