The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2022, 01:51 AM   #176
Richard

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

What a bummer this is. Wish you luck in finding a solution.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:40 AM   #177
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
What a bummer this is. Wish you luck in finding a solution.
thank you sir.i had a guy here yesterday,highly recommended by the paint rep from the store where i bought the paint.the man drove an hour here to look at my truck with gas costing a fortune,i wanted to pay him for his time,trouble,advice and gas.he wouldn't hear of it but today we're going to etransfer him some money cause fair is fair.we went all over the truck looking at the problem areas,he gave me his advice on how to fix it and went home to check on his work load and when he could do it.he said he'll call later this week with a plan and a price.i won't get too revved up til i know what he has to say but i am cautiously hopeful there's a way out of this mess.i'll still have to take the truck apart to re-do everything under the hood but it's like eating an elephant,one bite at a time.we'll get there.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #178
mr.mud1

not much to report,sitting here spinning my wheels with my fingers crossed,hoping and waiting to hear from the body shop guy who was here Saturday,hoping he'll tell me he can do it and when to bring it to him.i spent today taking things apart and scrubbing paint off from places it shouldn't be.the tail light lens's,the tail light and reverse light housings,the tailgate latchs and support arms.even the tail light and side marker light bulbs,all covered in white and or green paint.this will just be a warm up for the mess waiting for me under the hood.i haven't worked there at all cause when the truck has to go back to a body shop for re-painting,the truck will have to run.i'm hoping to get enough stuff off from the engine,to repaint the orange without pulling it completely out?we'll see.i'm so glad this bird was an expert?i would've hated that an back yard amateur got involved?what a king size waste of time and money?better days are coming.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #179
mr.mud1

well not too much to report but i may be making some progress with regard to finding someone to repaint this mess.in the mean time since i'd lost the original paint in the bed(i had told the guy who painted it,NOT to paint the bed,he did anyway) now the bed has to prepped properly for repaint.i took the first of the wheel tubs off and cleaned all the old sealant from around the flanges on the tub.everything is in very good condition,started sanding on the bed sides and the tub.a little progress.the more i work on the truck,the more i find screwed up.i was hoping to,after the paint on the body is re-done,take everything apart under the hood to repaint the engine in the truck and then everything else that's bolted to it and around it,repaint and re-install,however i think that's impossible.i think i'll be pulling the motor back out.the black frame has white overspray and everything else.what a mess.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #180
68Gold/white

I get so tired of that old saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself, biting me in the a$$, also....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:56 PM   #181
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I get so tired of that old saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself, biting me in the a$$, also....
yes sir,if i had a nickle for everytime i've repeated those words or had someone say it me,we'd all be rich??take care.Greg
Old 07-03-2022, 11:38 PM   #182
Gregski
Post Whore

luv seeing a clean build, and this truck is in good hands!
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 AM   #183
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
luv seeing a clean build, and this truck is in good hands!
thank you sir,i appreciate that.it is an awful good truck,best i've ever had,that's for sure.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #184
mr.mud1

well again,not much in the way of progress but i do have a guy who said he will re-paint this mess,just hasn't told me when or how much?he told me how much he charges an hour and how many days he thinks it might be,so i started sanding inside the bed,figuring every hour i spend in there,is an hour i don't have to pay someone else.i have both wheel tubs out to make sanding easier and all the carriage bolts down the insides of the bed sides out,and going round and round in my tumbler machine.that'll get rid of the paint on them and will make sanding that bottom flange easier without bumping into carriage bolts.the inside of the tailgate was a mess,the original paint was scratched up quite bad,and then painted over by the guy who painted it,not listening to instructions when i told him not to paint inside the bed.i tried to sand past the scratches,pretty soon i was looking at bare metal,so i took all the paint off.the gate is in nice shape,it'll take a nice coat of paint now.this guy wants the bed right off so i have all the bolts holding the bed on,out.all but 1 in the front and back,along with the wiring disconnected,it'll only take a minute to get the bed off,once it gets to his shop.more news soon,i hope.take care.Greg
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #185
mr.mud1

nothing earth shattering for news,just working away on getting whatever i can do in regards to getting the truck ready for another paint job.i have the tailgate now completely stripped on the inside and the first sill at the back of the bed,stripped.it was scratched badly,there was no sanding that down without getting to bare metal.i have the left side of the bed cleaned up where the tailgate closes,right side tomorrow and then up the inside of the left bedside.i'm hoping the painter guy doesn't call wanting the truck for a week or 2,so i can get as much sanding done as i can.every hour i spent in there,is an hour of his time i don't have to pay for.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2022, 06:31 PM   #186
mr.mud1

a little more progress today.both wheel tubs stripped off to bare metal,still no word from the paint shop as to when they want the truck but that's ok.i have more work to do inside the bed and we have a house full of company so work time is a little limited.it'll all work out.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #187
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Boy you dont mess around when it comes to stripping the paint off all the way to bare metal. You must have a good routine figured out.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:02 AM   #188
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Boy you dont mess around when it comes to stripping the paint off all the way to bare metal. You must have a good routine figured out.
yes sir.it's a lot of work,paint stripper, lots of sandpaper and extra coarse steel wool,and all because the guy who painted it,didn't follow instructions and leave the inside of the bed alone and not paint it.he spent zero time prepping inside the inside of the bed,painted over muddy footprints,dirt,oil,you name it.the original paint was fine,even with some scratches.the new paint and what little there was of it,looked horrible.i have been sending pictures to the man who is going to re-do it,asking advice.i had asked about the marks in the paint and how far did i have to go,he said i had to get to the other side of the scratches,i said ok but that's going to be bare metal,so be it.bare metal always takes such a nice coat of paint.it'll be worth it in the end.of course the farther i get into this mess,i discover how bad the first paint work was and when you think you've discovered all the mistakes,Shazam,another one pops up??while i was working in the corners of the bedsides where the tailgate closes to,i put a piece of tape along that edge where the tail light bezel would be,just to protect that edge,today i peeled the masking tape off,the new green paint came with it.zero time spent prepping.this jerk actually painted 2 vehicles for me,the first and last?never again.take care,Greg
Old 07-19-2022, 07:20 PM   #189
mr.mud1

well,a little more progress today.the complete bed on the inside is sanded with 320 then 400,as per the painter's instructions.tomorrow i will go over the bed inside with 400 again,just to make sure i didn't miss any spots,then i'll start on the green on the outside of the body.i did hear today from the body shop guy,he's going to be on vacation next week and hopes to have my truck in later in the week he's back.that's good news.i did find out,the other day,an old friend in Medina,Ohio is fighting pancreatic cancer and they're checking to see if it's moved into his brain and then this morning found out an old friend,another car guy a couple hours away,had his house burn to the ground.nobody was hurt but his old car was destroyed and his pet's didn't make it out.see,i always say it could always be worse,all i have is an old truck to fix?take care,Greg
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2022, 12:12 AM   #190
mr.mud1

well a little more progress.i hoped to hear from the painter this week but i didn't,so tonight i called,he said he can fit me in anytime so i asked to him get at it and let me know when i can bring the truck to him.he's about an hour or more away so i'll load the truck on the trailer when i get the word.the plan to fix this mess,was the prep the inside of the bed for repaint and all the upper green and so i have it all ready,and all the hardware that holds the bed together and the wheel tubs in,ready to paint,all the upper green blocked and sanded up to 400 grit,as per his instructions, but after all that,i've noticed that there are places on the lower green under the white sides that aren't pretty.i'll let him look when i take the truck to him,i'm not so sure the plan to do the upper green might get chucked out the window and i'll sand it all and have him re-do it all.it's not very good work from a so-called pro?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2022, 11:55 PM   #191
mr.mud1

no news from my painter as to when he wants my truck.i was puttering around today,taking pictures of the power steering mounts,lines and so on,to help another fella out with his project and while taking pictures for him,got a picture of just how much of a mess i have to deal with AFTER this thing is painted again.it's all going to have to come apart,the motor is coming back out cause all my work is ruined,everything i rebuilt,repainted and repaired,is all white with overspray?what a king sized waste of time and money?i was hoping to pull everything off the motor and repaint it right in the truck but the frame is white,it's everywhere.it'll be easier to pull it back out than try to work around it.it doesn't look anything now,like it looked before it went to this poor excuse for a body shop?
Attached Images

Last edited by mr.mud1; 08-10-2022 at 09:26 AM. Reason: had to make a correction
Old 08-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #192
notsolo

Also sorry to see your hard work ruined...on rubber parts I use wintergreen oil mixed with xylene, ( also seems to work with lacquer thinner ) heavy gloves needed and work outside or with respirator, solvent evaporates wintergreen oil soaks in and restores. Don't know what you were planning on this but it works nice. FYI Dissolves nitrile gloves in about a minute.

Last edited by notsolo; 08-13-2022 at 07:54 PM.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #193
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Also sorry to see your hard work ruined...on rubber parts I use wintergreen oil mixed with xylene, ( also seems to work with lacquer thinner ) heavy gloves needed and work outside or with respirator, solvent evaporates wintergreen oil soaks in and restores. Don't know what you were planning on this but it works nice. FYI Dissolves nitrile gloves in about a minute.
thanks for the advice.i have been thinking about how to go at this problem and repair the mess under the hood,after the truck is repainted.the painted parts are easy,just get them cleaned up,ready for paint and do them again.it's the overspray everywhere else,like you say,rubber stuff,wiring harness's.i'll give that a try and whatever home brewed hillbilly concoction i can come up with to get this mess cleaned up.thanks,take care.Greg
Old 09-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #194
mr.mud1

well finally a little news although i won't count my chickens before they hatch,anything can go wrong.i heard from the paint shop,they said to bring my truck Sept 10th so that's coming up soon.it'll be nice to finally get this truck to someone who knows what they're doing and get this disaster of a paint job re-done.lots of work to do after that with the engine having to come back out to be repainted orange and everything that is black with white overspray,repainted black and all the places with overspray to fix that aren't supposed to be painted at all?what a mess.i'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #195
mr.mud1

well it's a good thing i didn't count my chickens before they hatched cause my truck is still here.when i checked with the paint shop guy last Friday about taking my truck last saturday as he told me to,he wasn't ready.i guess he got bit by a bunch of wasps and was feeling poor for a few days so he fell behind.i'm hoping for later this week or Saturday coming to be making the trip to the body shop.we'll see.stay tuned.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #196
Louisvillekytruck

Beautiful truck
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #197
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
Beautiful truck
thank you sir,it's sorry looking mess til i get it repainted and then pull the motor back out to fix all the overspray mess,then put it back together.i'm sure hoping to have it done and out for a drive before it's time for winter hibernation?we'll see.take care.Greg
Old 09-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #198
Louisvillekytruck

When are you taking it to the paint shop and have any pics of it now
Old 09-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #199
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
When are you taking it to the paint shop and have any pics of it now
hi,no news.the plan was for the last 6 weeks or so,maybe next week he'd be ready and then of course,next week would come and go,the truck never moved as he wasn't ready for me,then he told me to plan to bring it sept 10th.when i checked with him on the 9th to make sure to bring it as it's an hour or more away,he told me he got bit by a bunch of wasps and was sick so he wasn't ready for me.he said he hoped later this week or by the weekend to have me trailer the truck to him.no word so far so we wait.it's a sorry looking mess and i can't wait to get it repainted.i will make an update as soon as there's something to share?thanks,take care.Greg.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #200
Louisvillekytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi,no news.the plan was for the last 6 weeks or so,maybe next week he'd be ready and then of course,next week would come and go,the truck never moved as he wasn't ready for me,then he told me to plan to bring it sept 10th.when i checked with him on the 9th to make sure to bring it as it's an hour or more away,he told me he got bit by a bunch of wasps and was sick so he wasn't ready for me.he said he hoped later this week or by the weekend to have me trailer the truck to him.no word so far so we wait.it's a sorry looking mess and i can't wait to get it repainted.i will make an update as soon as there's something to share?thanks,take care.Greg.
Thanks greg