The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
K20chevy

68 K20 Panel truck, ex. civil defence vehicle

Hello Everyone,

after aquiring this 68 K20 4x4 panel from member Fishbone, I decided to start a build thread. Not too much going on as of now. IŽm still collecting parts, but I will post the progress here.

The trucks was put into service in 1968 in Hamilton, AL for the Hamilton Rescue Service. It was first a civil defence truck, white and blue in color and was later changed to red and used for the Hamilton fire department.

It is a really solid truck with only 24000 original miles. The only rust is in the left rocker panel, which IŽll have to replace. The rest is all solid.

It has a 307 V8 with a 4 speed manual and a Rockwell T-case. No power steering or power brakes. I will change these two as the only deviation to the original to make it more drivable.

It has a Ramsey PTO winch with a step on winch bumper. Hickey front auxiliary coil over shocks, is missing the custom rear bumper (will have to build one from scratch), is missing the custom roof rack (also have to build that) and missing the siren and beacons. If anyone can lend info on what siren and beacons these are and where to get them, IŽd appreciate it a lot!

First orders are getting power steering and power brakes and drive it to see if everything works. Then IŽll build the roof rack and rear bumper, before the body goes to the bodyshop. I might start a stainless stell exhaust too before taking it back apart.

So here is a picture of what it looks like in the shop now:

And here are some vintage pic from the truck when it was put into service for the CD:

And later for the fire department:

Big thanks to the Hamilton Fire Department for providing these pictures!!!

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote